Hopper 3, lost one satellite

John SR

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2023
Colorado
I have two dish antennas, one for 110/119/129 and one for 110 since 110 is blocked on the other dish by cabin. Been working ok. Just came out to cabin and no channels from 110. Checked and found the RG6 quad from LNB extra port to 110 was chewed up by critters.

Replaced entire coax between 110 and LNB with Quad RG6. During testing I did the check switch a number of times. Good signal from 119 and 129, nothing from 110. Then got message about fewer satellites, did I want to save. I selected save, thinking when I got the 110 dish going, the switch test would see the 110. Anyway next time I ran switch test, only 119 and 129 showed up on right side of screen. Signal strength on 110 but at bottom, showed 119 Locked. So don't think that was really 110.

Connected my sat finder at 110 dish, had power to finder, alignment almost perfect, good indication. Now out of things to try.

Remove your dish coax at your receiver and run a check switch with nothing attached. Then reattach your coax to the receiver and rerun the check switch. Do you see 110 now? Another thing, do you have the 110 eye of the main lnb covered? The switch might be confused. If you still don't see it, make sure all the connections on your new coax are tight. I would open each end and inspect that the stingers are straight and of proper length and then reseat them and retry the check switch.

I have two dish antennas, one for 110/119/129 and one for 110 since 110 is blocked on the other dish by cabin. Been working ok. Just came out to cabin and no channels from 110. Checked and found the RG6 quad from LNB extra port to 110 was chewed up by critters.

Replaced entire coax between 110 and LNB with Quad RG6. During testing I did the check switch a number of times. Good signal from 119 and 129, nothing from 110. Then got message about fewer satellites, did I want to save. I selected save, thinking when I got the 110 dish going, the switch test would see the 110. Anyway next time I ran switch test, only 119 and 129 showed up on right side of screen. Signal strength on 110 but at bottom, showed 119 Locked. So don't think that was really 110.

Connected my sat finder at 110 dish, had power to finder, alignment almost perfect, good indication. Now out of things to try.
Retested after disconnecting cable from Hopper. Screen said fewer satellites, I selected Save and retested. Switch status now shows no satellites.
Remove your dish coax at your receiver and run a check switch with nothing attached. Then reattach your coax to the receiver and rerun the check switch. Do you see 110 now? Another thing, do you have the 110 eye of the main lnb covered? The switch might be confused. If you still don't see it, make sure all the connections on your new coax are tight. I would open each end and inspect that the stingers are straight and of proper length and then reseat them and retry the check switch.
Retested after disconnecting cable from Hopper. Screen said fewer satellites, I selected Save and retested. Switch status now shows no satellites. Selected Test Instl again. Now shows only the 119 and 129 channels, same as previous tests. Signal strength for 110 is about 20, but below shows 119 and locked. So I doubt that is really 110.

Satellite finder shows ok signal from 110 dish after slight realignment. And Hopper shows good signals on 119 and 129 satellites. Coax between 110 and 110/119/129 is good and connectors (T&B) are properly installed. So I'm going to order new 110 legacy and 1000.2 LNB, maybe one or other is bad, although I have my doubts.

Reactions: charlesrshell
What satellite finder ate you using? It is possible the wing dish is pulling signal from another satellite. And also you never answered if the 110 is covered on the main dish. If you are behind the dish looking out with the "eyes" looking at you it will be the one on the right.

If the wing dish is seeing signal to begin with then replacing it won't change anything. So I'd make sure it's actually locked onto the 110.

So I'm going to order new 110 legacy and 1000.2 LNB
The LNB you need for 110 is NOT a legacy LNB. It has to be a DishPro single or double output. If you connect a legacy LNB to a 1000.2 you will only have access to half of the transponders from the satellite, as legacy uses voltage switching for even/odd transponders and DishPro uses stacking instead.

Attached below is a picture of the two LNB models, the one on the left is a Legacy and the one on the Right a DishPro (DP symbol on the sticker).

Attachments

• IMG_2083.jpeg
    IMG_2083.jpeg
    224.1 KB · Views: 74
Reactions: TheKrell and HipKat
What satellite finder ate you using? It is possible the wing dish is pulling signal from another satellite. And also you never answered if the 110 is covered on the main dish. If you are behind the dish looking out with the "eyes" looking at you it will be the one on the right.

If the wing dish is seeing signal to begin with then replacing it won't change anything. So I'd make sure it's actually locked onto the 110.
Opps, forgot to cover the 110. Just did it and re-ran switch test. No help.
The LNB you need for 110 is NOT a legacy LNB. It has to be a DishPro single or double output. If you connect a legacy LNB to a 1000.2 you will only have access to half of the transponders from the satellite, as legacy uses voltage switching for even/odd transponders and DishPro uses stacking instead.

Attached below is a picture of the two LNB models, the one on the left is a Legacy and the one on the Right a DishPro (DP symbol on the sticker).
That's important to know. The one I have been using is the legacy but only interested in several channels so maybe ok on those transpondes. Anyway I actually do have a DishPro double output and will give it a try. Thanks!

Installed the DIshPro, got nothing. My satellite finder is a cheapo one I have had for 10 yrs. "SF-95c+ Satellite Finder". With the DishPro connected to finder, the red H/V LED doesn't light, but does light with the original LNB. Don't know what that implies.

The DishPro was a spare I had, I think, previously installed. The original LNB was a Bell Dual LNBF AE128 CCS2800 (is this "legecy" or equiv to DishPro?).

To recap, last time I was at my cabin, 110 worked ok. This trip, did not. Found the coax between 110 and 110/119/129 chewed up by critters. 110 Dish was still in same position (not moved by wind, etc). Replaced coax (first time cut off bad end and coupled to remaining section. Second time replaced entire length). Switch test never shows 110.

Installed the DIshPro, got nothing. My satellite finder is a cheapo one I have had for 10 yrs. "SF-95c+ Satellite Finder". With the DishPro connected to finder, the red H/V LED doesn't light, but does light with the original LNB. Don't know what that implies.

The DishPro was a spare I had, I think, previously installed. The original LNB was a Bell Dual LNBF AE128 CCS2800 (is this "legecy" or equiv to DishPro?).

To recap, last time I was at my cabin, 110 worked ok. This trip, did not. Found the coax between 110 and 110/119/129 chewed up by critters. 110 Dish was still in same position (not moved by wind, etc). Replaced coax (first time cut off bad end and coupled to remaining section. Second time replaced entire length). Switch test never shows 110.
Call and have a tech sent out

Can you "see" both the 110 and 119 sats from the 110 side dish location? If so, make that you're only location and ignore the soon to disappear 129 sat that has little or nothing on it anymore.

Last edited:
Can you "see" both the 110 and 119 sats from the 110 side dish location? If so, make that you're only location and ignore the the soon to disappear 129 sat that has little or nothing on it anymore.
Problem SOLVED!

ethanlerma gave me the solution but I didn't figure it out until downloading 1000.2 installation manual. Says must use a Dish Pro with the 1000.2. I had a spare DIsh Pro Dual and installed, problem solved. What is mystifying, however, is that we previously have been able to watch channels 398 and 399 with the legacy LNB. Until now. Anyway, many thanks to everyone who took the time to give me suggestions.

What is mystifying, however, is that we previously have been able to watch channels 398 and 399 with the legacy LNB. Until now. Anyway, many thanks to everyone who took the time to give me suggestions.
As you mentioned before, you most likely got lucky and had the transponders you needed but not the entire satellite. Glad that fixed it!