Hopper 3 setup with Joey Plus issue

zippydbs

Original poster
Oct 29, 2023
New York
IMG_4606.jpeg

Hi there for the Hopper 3 should the Application Software be listed as N/A since I assume the P versions under Joey software mean that it's all set to go ahead and plug in the Hopper Plus. The tech left it downloading overnight as it got stuck on the download and we figured out a workaround to get it back to Hopper mode without a reset (blue screen then skip back recall skip back and then it reboots around 4 times and goes back into hopper mode without plus).

So just wondering is there a way to force an application version download or should it be at N/A when it's updated to H365 the tech said that it's not preloaded since they only had one preloaded hopper on their truck.

Just want to get the hopper plus working like it was before we added eastern arc since after we added eastern arc the tech swapped everything out to be 100% sure it's working.

Thanks!

Once downloaded it will automatically update if it's a newer version. As far as I know there's no way to manually trigger updates for android receivers.
How long after the download does it usually take before the update process actually starts? On the Hopper Plus, there is a Device Info and then About that as something with a Checking Updates and then a Check Update button on the right of it which looks similar to Windows Update except I have not found a way to actually select and click the button.

Reactions: charlesrshell
How long after the download does it usually take before the update process actually starts? On the Hopper Plus, there is a Device Info and then About that as something with a Checking Updates and then a Check Update button on the right of it which looks similar to Windows Update except I have not found a way to actually select and click the button.
Outside of initial install I've never seen one update in person. So I'd assume it would do it overnight once it's detected new software.

While on the subject, can the downloaded ATV files actually be used to update the Hopper Plus? If so, how does one actually do the update as it seems to be downloading P12406.
I did it here under download ATV files

Specifically the download on the hopper plus takes overnight not sure if it's because it's downloading via USB 2.0.

Although my hopper plus wasn't preloaded

Attachments

• IMG_4602.jpeg
    IMG_4602.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_4604.jpeg
    IMG_4604.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4605.jpeg
    IMG_4605.jpeg
    251.5 KB · Views: 59
Leave it in standby for ~15 minutes and it should start the download (if a download is necessary/needed)
Just realized something, how exactly does one get the Hopper 3 with Hopper Plus into standby as it seems unlike the Hopper 3 without the Hopper Plus attached, the power button on the 50.0, 52.0, 54.0 remotes does not do anything. Even the Power button on the Hopper 3 does nothing when you just press and release it. Only when you hold it down for I believe 1-2 seconds will a dialog come up that asks if you want to Power off and when one confirms it, it does seem to completely shut down the Hopper Plus, not sure if that is the same as standby as it no longer goes into the standby screen when the Hopper 3 does not have the Hopper Plus attached.

As for the download, does it make a difference if one downloaded the latest ATV files first or not before putting it into standby?

I did it here under download ATV files

Specifically the download on the hopper plus takes overnight not sure if it's because it's downloading via USB 2.0.

Although my hopper plus wasn't preloaded
Yes, when my Hopper Plus was installed back in May 2023, I had downloaded the ATV files for the Hopper Plus before the tech arrived and even with that, the Hopper Plus after the tech arrived still had to do the download, not sure was it because I think I downloaded P116 originally and P117 was released on the date of the install. The tech left in the middle of the download process and I did the installation to completion so it took an hour total from the time the Hopper Plus was plugged in. My question is how does one actually update the Hopper Plus's software since mines is running on P11701 and apparently, P12407 is now available when Download ATV files downloads successfully but how does one actually update the Hopper Pls to the P12407?

Just realized something, how exactly does one get the Hopper 3 with Hopper Plus into standby as it seems unlike the Hopper 3 without the Hopper Plus attached, the power button on the 50.0, 52.0, 54.0 remotes does not do anything. Even the Power button on the Hopper 3 does nothing when you just press and release it. Only when you hold it down for I believe 1-2 seconds will a dialog come up that asks if you want to Power off and when one confirms it, it does seem to completely shut down the Hopper Plus, not sure if that is the same as standby as it no longer goes into the standby screen when the Hopper 3 does not have the Hopper Plus attached.

As for the download, does it make a difference if one downloaded the latest ATV files first or not before putting it into standby?

Technically no it doesn't matter - if your receiver is in the targeting range (at this point it would be) for new software if you leave it in standby for 15 minutes it should update.

If your receiver is outside of the targeting range for new software (will be the case for android receivers going forward but was not the case previously due to such a small population) then you could attempt to force it via update software tile in the diagnostics screen.

The download ATV files tile exists as a fail safe for installers in case the files aren't present on the hopper for whatever reason (used to be a bigger issue, not as big now but i'm sure it still happens from time to time).

As far as standby - just press power the dream screen (screensaver) is android's version of standby.

Technically no it doesn't matter - if your receiver is in the targeting range (at this point it would be) for new software if you leave it in standby for 15 minutes it should update.

If your receiver is outside of the targeting range for new software (will be the case for android receivers going forward but was not the case previously due to such a small population) then you could attempt to force it via update software tile in the diagnostics screen.

The download ATV files tile exists as a fail safe for installers in case the files aren't present on the hopper for whatever reason (used to be a bigger issue, not as big now but i'm sure it still happens from time to time).

As far as standby - just press power the dream screen (screensaver) is android's version of standby.
I guess the issue is getting it into the standby mode because I think I did the shutdown mode earlier when I held the power button on the Hopper 3 down for 1-2 seconds and the Android side ask to shutdown but apparently, the DVR timer turned it back on probably an hour later. I thought the Update Sofware on the Hopper 3 would only do the software on the Hopper 3 itself but didn't realize it will do it for the Plus as well.

I kept thinking the ATV files were needed in the past because the techs didn't have it on USB like they did for the non-Android TV clients.

Am I correct to put it into standby, I would goto Settings -> Device Preferences -> Screen saver
where the Screen saver shows:
Screen saver (turn screen off)
When to start (after 2 hours of inactivity)
Put the device to sleep (Never) <--- do I need to change this one?
Start now

Seems like Start Now would basically immediately put the selected screen saver on similar to Windows when you preview the screensaver.

I guess the issue is getting it into the standby mode because I think I did the shutdown mode earlier when I held the power button on the Hopper 3 down for 1-2 seconds and the Android side ask to shutdown but apparently, the DVR timer turned it back on probably an hour later. I thought the Update Sofware on the Hopper 3 would only do the software on the Hopper 3 itself but didn't realize it will do it for the Plus as well.

I kept thinking the ATV files were needed in the past because the techs didn't have it on USB like they did for the non-Android TV clients.

Am I correct to put it into standby, I would goto Settings -> Device Preferences -> Screen saver
where the Screen saver shows:
Screen saver (turn screen off)
When to start (after 2 hours of inactivity)
Put the device to sleep (Never) <--- do I need to change this one?
Start now

Seems like Start Now would basically immediately put the selected screen saver on similar to Windows when you preview the screensaver.

You just need no timers within the next 1-2 hours, no other receivers powered on, and just press power on your remote. If you have your TV remote separate you can turn your TV back on individually (or block the IR sensor) and you'll see the receiver in dreamscape mode (which is android's standby).

You just need no timers within the next 1-2 hours, no other receivers powered on, and just press power on your remote. If you have your TV remote separate you can turn your TV back on individually (or block the IR sensor) and you'll see the receiver in dreamscape mode (which is android's standby).
Is anything supposed to happen after pressing power on the remote as hitting power on the remote does not seem to have any response as the Hopper 3/Hopper Plus does not seem to react to the power button. I only have 1 Hopper H3 receiver with Hopper Plus as far as equipment goes for the entire account.

I actually last touch things at around 12:30PM PDT (4:00PM EDT) and I had active timers as follows 11:45PM-1:15PM , 12:15PM-1:45PM, 12:45PM-2:15PM, 1:45PM-4:15PM.

Update, apparently, it updated to P12407 even with timers running in the background as I think the only thing I had was

Screen saver (Turn screen off)
When to start (after 5 minutes of inactivity)
Put the device to sleep (15 minutes)
Start now

and then just turned off the TV and did nothing else and when I checked just now, the screen was black so I hit a key and noticed the red colors were more orange-red and it was on channel 198 Dishcapes.
P12407 is loaded and the Screen saver screen has less options compared to P11701 above which are:

Screen saver
When to start
Start now

So the Put the device to sleep appears to have been removed.

Seems like all colors are now lighter and brighter for the video. Playback lag or even responding to the remote is about 1/4-1/2 second.

Up time as of 3:48PM PDT is 1 hour and 40 minutes when looking at Settings -> Device Preferences -> About, Hopper 3 diagnostics shows 11/12/2023 2:07PM.

and all the timers either completed or it's still recording but the Power button on the remote does not get any response when pressed

Turning off the TV and then back to on seems to have restored the video with the normal colors.

Last edited:
Update and Correction:
As of P12407 of the Hopper Plus Software and probably earlier:
Settings -> Device Preferences -> Screen saver -> Put the device to sleep
has actually been moved to:
Settings -> Device Preferences -> Power & Energy
where under the Power & Energy section, it will show a Automatically turn off TV subsection:
When inactive which I have set to never but has the options of 15 minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 4 hours, 8 hours, 12 hours, 24 hours, Never.

Why do you need to put it into Standby Mode manually when it will do it on its own?

Update and Correction:
where under the Power & Energy section, it will show a Automatically turn off TV subsection:
When inactive which I have set to never but has the options of 15 minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 4 hours, 8 hours, 12 hours, 24 hours, Never.
Why do you need to put it into Standby Mode manually when it will do it on its own?
It was what Josh.M said was needed to manually force a software update which would happen approximately 15 minutes after it is standby mode. The way they list the configuration was confusing as inactivity seems to activate the screensaver while put to sleep sounds more like standby but seems like put to sleep is actually supposed to turn the TV off.

Update and Correction:

It was what Josh.M said was needed to manually force a software update which would happen approximately 15 minutes after it is standby mode. The way they list the configuration was confusing as inactivity seems to activate the screensaver while put to sleep sounds more like standby but seems like put to sleep is actually supposed to turn the TV off.
When you see the screen saver, it's on standby. There seems to be some confusion in the difference between standby mode and powered off

When you see the screen saver, it's on standby. There seems to be some confusion in the difference between standby mode and powered off
Yep, I think it's the way they named it since inactivity is really standby and sleep is really powering off the tv using HDMI-CEC but what I am trying to figure out is Josh said with the Hopper Plus connected to the Hopper 3, pressing power button on the remote is supposed to immediately put the Hopper Plus into standby like how it does without the Hopper 3 but I have tried every remote 50.0, 52.0 and 54.0 and the power button on the remote does not get any reaction with the Hopper Plus connected, without the Hopper Plus, it would standby as usual. Even the front panel power button on the Hopper 3 with the Hopper Plus connected does nothing when you press and release. Only thing that happens is if you held it down for maybe 1.5 seconds and release, then there would be a dialog on the screen to confirm shutdown except I am not sure exactly what shutdown is compared to standby since when a timer fires off, it seems to put the Hopper Plus in active mode again. I tried the Start now in the screen saver screen but it never updated even after an hour so only changing the inactivity timeout to 5 minutes and then checking later did it actually update from P11701 which I had before as my Hopper Plus is usually disconnected, I was just curious if P12407 actually improved any of the lag in responding to the remote as it seems like it is always a delayed response even with P12407.