Hopper 3 setup with Joey Plus issue

So maybe other people such as charlesrshell with the Hopper Plus connected to a Hopper 3 can comment if pressing the power button on the remote and the Hopper 3's front panel itself actually does anything.
At my H+ when I hold down the 54.0 remote's power button for more than 1.5 seconds and release all that happens is the TV turns off. When I do the same thing at the Hopper I get the screen saver with a menu. Don't remember what it said. Went to take a pic of it, but the Plus went into a reboot. When the Plus at some time during the reboot caused my other Hopper 3 to lose Internet. And, of course, my wife was watching Netfix and gave me a sever counseling sestion. After the plus was back on line, I got the Netfix back on at the H3 for my commander!! I took one for the team Almighty1.

• Sad
Reactions: Almighty1
At my H+ when I hold down the 54.0 remote's power button for more than 1.5 seconds and release all that happens is the TV turns off. When I do the same thing at the Hopper I get the screen saver with a menu. Don't remember what it said. Went to take a pic of it, but the Plus went into a reboot. When the Plus at some time during the reboot caused my other Hopper 3 to lose Internet. And, of course, my wife was watching Netfix and gave me a sever counseling sestion. After the plus was back on line, I got the Netfix back on at the H3 for my commander!! I took one for the team Almighty1.
Interesting. With the 50.0 and 52.0 since it has a independent TV Power button so I can keep the TV on when pressing buttons on the remote and in SAT mode, nothing happens when I press the power button on the left for more than 1.5 seconds and release. On the Hopper, if I press and release the power button, nothing happens but if I press the power button for more than 1.5 seconds and release, I get this popup but the live tv still in the background but not the screen saver with a menu like you did.

1699212407093.png

Sorry about that, charlesrshell as I didn't mean to cause a big hassle.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
Interesting. With the 50.0 and 52.0 since it has a independent TV Power button so I can keep the TV on when pressing buttons on the remote and in SAT mode, nothing happens when I press the power button on the left for more than 1.5 seconds and release. On the Hopper, if I press and release the power button, nothing happens but if I press the power button for more than 1.5 seconds and release, I get this popup but the live tv still in the background but not the screen saver with a menu like you did.

View attachment 166348

Sorry about that, charlesrshell as I didn't mean to cause a big hassle.
No hassle. Just a quick A-- chewing!! LOL

• Wow
Reactions: Almighty1
No hassle. Just a quick A-- chewing!! LOL
I figured out how to force the update as well as putting the Hopper in Standby. Only posting this as I have not read the forums since November-December 2023.
The lag no longer exists I think and when powering on the TV, it no longer pauses the live feed when the Hopper 3/Hopper+ are powered on with the Hopper+ Software version immediately after P12407. There were a few updates as we are now on P12509 from P12506.

To get the Power button to work on both the Remote and the front panel of the Hopper 3 so Hopper Plus & Hopper will go into standby mode requires the following:
1) Press Home once and then select cogwheel, Device Preferences, then select "Screen Saver"
2) You will be in the "Screen saver" menu, select "Screen saver" and then select either "Backdrop" or "Colors" as the first choice "Turn screen off" basically disables the screensaver
3) Go back to the previous "Screen saver" menu, you will notice the "Start now" will be clickable when the "Screen saver" is set to either "Backdrop" or "Colors" or it will be greyed out if "Screen saver" is set to "Turn screen off"

Now to update the software which you will be able to see if a update is available is by pressing Home once and then then select cogwheel, "DISH Settings", "Diagnostics" and on that screen, it will show your Hopper Plus software version P12407 for example and then to see if there is something newer, hit page down and look the "Available Joey Software List" where you will see two things that starts with P which in my case is P125 P12509 and the P12509 basically is the one you should look at.

To update, there are two ways to do it, this only works on versions earlier than P12506, you can try the P12506 method below to see if it works)
1) Press the Power button on either the Remote or the front panel of the Hopper 3 which will put the Hopper 3/Hopper Plus into standby and wait atleast 15 minutes, the Hopper will not have a buffer as it's in standby but timers will be uninterrupted
or
2) Press Home once and then select cogwheel, Device Preferences, then select "Screen Saver", You will be in the "Screen saver" menu, select "Screen saver" and then select "Start now" and wait atleast 15 minutes.
#2 offers the advantage of the buffers remaining and timers uninterrupted.

Remember if you do not want the screensaver normally, you can either disable the screensaver by:
1) Press Home once and then select cogwheel, Device Preferences, then select "Screen Saver", You will be in the "Screen saver" menu, select "Screen saver" and then select "Turn screen off"

The other option is to not have the screensaver activate by changing the inactivity timeout by:
1) Press Home once and then select cogwheel, Device Preferences, then select "Screen Saver", You will be in the "Screen saver" menu, "Screen saver" should be either "Backdrop" or "Colors" and if it isn't, set it to that and then the "When to start" should be set to the inactivity timeout of your choice which as of the time of this writing is 5 minutes, 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours.

With P12506, the above method does not work even after waiting hours as I had tried multiple times as updating is done using another method that downloads and immediately installs without waiting while the buffers and timers will all still work. The way to do it is:
1) Press Home once and then select cogwheel, Device Preferences, then select "About", "Software Update" and then click the "Check for Update" button which would download and install the current software version if it is newer than what your Hopper Plus is already running.

It appears that restarting the Hopper Plus using the following method does not interrupt the Hopper 3 buffers or active recording timers:
1) Press Home once and then select cogwheel, Device Preferences, Restart

HipKat - Question for you, we all know there is the Download ATV files but how does one actually install or use those downloaded files or does the "Press Home once and then select cogwheel, Device Preferences, then select "About", "Software Update" and then click the "Check for Update" actually use them first before downloading from the internet?