HOPPER 3 UPGRADES

I think I will order a hopper 3 by tomorrow hope to get it in a few days .The only question I have is will my Hws work with the new lnb?

I think I will order a hopper 3 by tomorrow hope to get it in a few days .The only question I have is will my Hws work with the new lnb?
You CANNOT have a HWS (Hopper 2) or Hopper 1 on the same account as a Hopper 3. When the H3 is hooked up to the DPH LNBF, it activates DPZ mode the H2 and H1 only work with the DPH LNBF when it is in X mode.

Dish will install it for you for I believe another $100 even if it's owned.
Dish installed the HWS/SJ combo i purchased from a retailer last year for a $50 "Custom Order Fee" since I added the Protection Plan for a few months.

Last edited:
Dish installed the HWS/SJ combo i purchased from a retailer last year for a $50 "Custom Order Fee" since I added the Protection Plan for a few months.
So, I ordered the hybrid lnb/hub and a hopper 3. It's possible I could call dish to install it without a new contract though? I think I'm going to try on my own, just curious if I'm understanding this right.

So, I ordered the hybrid lnb/hub and a hopper 3. It's possible I could call dish to install it without a new contract though? I think I'm going to try on my own, just curious if I'm understanding this right.
It was no contract doing it that way for me, unless they changed their policy since early last year. You can check with DIRT to make sure, I guess.

I didn't think they install it if you bought from a 3rd party? I thought you'd have to get somebody. I wouldn't tackle it myself if I didn't have a SuperBuddy meter.

It was no contract doing it that way for me, unless they changed their policy since early last year. You can check with DIRT to make sure, I guess.
So, this is my first time doing an upgrade. I'm going to install the LNBF/Hub first with my HWS to make sure it's working, then hopefully be able to plug and play the Hopper 3. I am technically inclined, so no worries there. I think for safety, the only thing I need to cut power to is the Hopper, then Switch out the LNBF/Hub. As long as I don't accidentally rotate the dish, I shouldn't have a problem since it's the same frequencies as my current dish, correct? Also, going from a 2 cable input to the Hub to a 1 cable input, I suppose it's safe to leave one hanging or remove entirely. The hybrid upgrade, as long as I do it right, should just be plug and play for my HWS, right? I know when I work on gear, I'm a 1 step at a time type of guy, so that's part of why I'm going to make sure the exterior upgrade works with HWS before hooking the Hopper 3 up.

So, this is my first time doing an upgrade. I'm going to install the LNBF/Hub first with my HWS to make sure it's working, then hopefully be able to plug and play the Hopper 3. I am technically inclined, so no worries there. I think for safety, the only thing I need to cut power to is the Hopper, then Switch out the LNBF/Hub. As long as I don't accidentally rotate the dish, I shouldn't have a problem since it's the same frequencies as my current dish, correct? Also, going from a 2 cable input to the Hub to a 1 cable input, I suppose it's safe to leave one hanging or remove entirely. The hybrid upgrade, as long as I do it right, should just be plug and play for my HWS, right? I know when I work on gear, I'm a 1 step at a time type of guy, so that's part of why I'm going to make sure the exterior upgrade works with HWS before hooking the Hopper 3 up.
I think you misunderstood my post suggesting to use Dish and take the 2-year agreement.

Then I misunderstood your response. Did you not decide to take the 2-year agreement?

Then I misunderstood your response. Did you not decide to take the 2-year agreement?
Good idea. I went ahead and placed the order. I also ordered the Hybrid LNB and Hub with 2 day shipping. That way, I can get that installed and working, then when the Hopper 3 gets here, plug, call and play.
^^^That was my initial response. I had seen your original post right after I placed the order. It just seems best for my situation to DIY and own the equipment, and gives me an opportunity to learn more about what makes satellite TV work. Given my line of work, I enjoy learning more about electronic equipment and adding diversity to my own knowledge of various things. Also, I have family back home that just entered a 2 year agreement that will not be able to upgrade to the hopper 3, so it enables me to let them use it while I'm without dish service for an unknown period late this year or early next year.

I have been with dish for 16 years in the beginning you bought your own equipment and I still do . I like knowing it's mine and enjoy doing all the installations and trouble shooting. It makes having satellite tv fun .

Okay, so I'll just either remove one of the cables, or let it hang. Thank you for the help with knowing which port to plug in
dont let the cable hang, as it will act as an rf antenna and give you issues. also possible water migration to the lnbf. if you do decide to let it hang anyway, barrel and terminate it.

dont let the cable hang, as it will act as an rf antenna and give you issues. also possible water migration to the lnbf. if you do decide to let it hang anyway, barrel and terminate it.
Definitely will terminate it if I don't remove it entirely

I have been with dish for 16 years in the beginning you bought your own equipment and I still do . I like knowing it's mine and enjoy doing all the installations and trouble shooting. It makes having satellite tv fun .
That is completely understandable!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Wife and I talked about it and decided to just go with termination just in case something somehow goes wrong with the cable we use. Makes for an easy replacement

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)