Hopper Hard Drive Size 2TB???

EAGLES

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
I looked around in the forums, but couldn't really find a good answer. If the hopper has a 2TB HD, why does it only show 1231 GB capacity in the transfer screen?

I could be wrong, but I believe that there is one (or more) partitions to the Hopper HD. There is the user partition, a partition for PPV, and a partition for PTAT (I think).

Yepp. An to be honest, its PLENTY. I have 160 hours on one hopper, mixed sat and OTA and am only using 34% as of today.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I curently have over 800 recordings on one Hopper and am constantly fighting to keep below 95% of capacity. A second internal 2 GB hard drive would provide some relief at least until I filled it too.
It is still difficult to transfer shows to the EHD because only about 25% show up on the transfer selection screen.

See, I dont get that. What does one need to store 800 recordings for? If its stuff you havent watched, you'll never get there, and if its stuff you are just keeping, you need to consider archiving. For general use recording (to record, watch, and delete) the Hopper is excellent. Another problem with storing 800 recordings is one failure as simple as a power supply on the box and you lose them all.

Im not knocking having 800 recordings, but no way in hell would I be planning to leave them on a box with so many components that would fail.

And another thing to consider, and this is a huge one. You can't watch any of those 800 recordings on anything other than a Dish receiver...... When the receiver breaks, or an EHD for that matter, all those recordings are toast.....

We keep up with the recordings in our Hoppers. Usually on the weekend we are fully caught up by mid Sunday. I keep two Hoppers loaded with the same exact timers for backup purposes. I have noticed on both Hoppers that the hard drive fluxuates between 23 to 25% full. Both Hoppers have PTAT enabled for the four networks and days to keep is set for eight days. The Rental folder is usually empty.

You don't need to set all days and stations. Just do a Save Series on shows you want to keep. Setting 8 days means you will not be able to put it on an EHD until after that time. Unless your have at least 2 shows opposite each other on the big 4 on that day, you will hold space that would be better used for other things.

-Ken

You don't need to set all days and stations. Just do a Save Series on shows you want to keep. Setting 8 days means you will not be able to put it on an EHD until after that time. Unless your have at least 2 shows opposite each other on the big 4 on that day, you will hold space that would be better used for other things.

-Ken

I don't have any space issue. Don't ever transfer to the EHD unless it is something we want to keep.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)