Hopper news updates

I just tried it and it only takes up one tuner. Very nice!

The Hopper has a 4th "tuner" if you will. Weeks ago, were scratching our heads trying to figure out why a Hopper can support 3 Joeys.... that is, 1 Hopper + 3 Joeys for 4 TVs.... when the Hopper only has 3 tuners. The 4th is limited only to playing back prerecorded stuff. That includes PTAT. All recorded stuff is stored somewhere else, and I believe PTAT is accessed through internet download. It's just so fast now that "buffering" is now a thing of the past.

Or am I wrong?

CommoFreq said:
The Hopper has a 4th "tuner" if you will. Weeks ago, were scratching our heads trying to figure out why a Hopper can support 3 Joeys.... that is, 1 Hopper + 3 Joeys for 4 TVs.... when the Hopper only has 3 tuners. The 4th is limited only to playing back prerecorded stuff. That includes PTAT. All recorded stuff is stored somewhere else, and I believe PTAT is accessed through internet download. It's just so fast now that "buffering" is now a thing of the past.

Or am I wrong?

PTAT is not an Internet download. It is satellite. It records the entire transponder that your locals are on all at once.

I suppose you can think of it as a fourth tuner but that's not really correct. The receiver has 3 satellite tuners for watching and recording TV. The fourth option is watching something from the hard drive which is not a tuner.

I have been very happy with the whole home DVR functionality. The three thugs I wanted happened last night

1. One hopper wasn't recording a show but the other hopper was. 14 YO was mad Activated the other hopper on the Joey, picked the show in process. 14 YO (and dad) happy.
2. Paused a show on the hopper, went to bed and grabbed that tuner on Joey to pickup paused show.
3. No one has complained about a deleted show since PTAT is storing all shows.

WINNING!!!

I. Still need to figure our how to take PTAT recorded fav shows and keep them past the 8 day cutoff. Any help? Can I make this happen automatically via timers? If so, how?

... Still need to figure our how to take PTAT recorded fav shows and keep them past the 8 day cutoff. Any help? Can I make this happen automatically via timers? If so, how?

From the PTAT display, move the cursor to the show, click select (rather than play) and on the list menu is the option to save.

I have been very happy with the whole home DVR functionality. The three thugs I wanted happened last night

1. One hopper wasn't recording a show but the other hopper was. 14 YO was mad Activated the other hopper on the Joey, picked the show in process. 14 YO (and dad) happy.
2. Paused a show on the hopper, went to bed and grabbed that tuner on Joey to pickup paused show.
3. No one has complained about a deleted show since PTAT is storing all shows.

WINNING!!!

I. Still need to figure our how to take PTAT recorded fav shows and keep them past the 8 day cutoff. Any help? Can I make this happen automatically via timers? If so, how?

You can also just set a regular timer for that show. It will record it during PTAT but it will automatically put it on your saved hard drive.

That appears to use another tuner - use my suggestion if you are short on tuners.
But your suggestion doesn't satisfy his request, that is, to save the PTAT show every week automatically without having to do it manually each week.

But your suggestion doesn't satisfy his request, that is, to save the PTAT show every week automatically without having to do it manually each week.

that is NOT how mine is working. I have regular timers set with 3 episode limits for PTAT programs, and they are using the PTAT tuner, and being saved to my side of the hopper.

the interface to watch-while-recording is a little funky, but if I just leave the box alone, it does what you expect for the PTAT stuff.

I was told by a Dish tech that setting up an additional timer(besides the PTAT one) will prevent the program from automatically deleting after 8 days. It does not actually record the show twice, but does list the program under My Recordings. Recorded programs under My Recordings will not delete automatically. That is what I was told. Guess we will see in a few days.

I was told by a Dish tech that setting up an additional timer(besides the PTAT one) will prevent the program from automatically deleting after 8 days. It does not actually record the show twice, but does list the program under My Recordings. Recorded programs under My Recordings will not delete automatically. That is what I was told. Guess we will see in a few days.

Just want to add one thing. So you may ask yourself what is the good of PTAT if you have to set up your own timers to prevent programs from being deleted. PTAT can record 4 programs using one tuner. That gives you 2 free tuners. So, in effect, you could record up to 6 programs at a time.

Rod, I'm not in disagreement with you. I was correcting someone else who was saying that creating a timer would use another tuner outside of PTAT.

My test tonight. I have PTAT on and I have a timer set for three different prime time shows at 9:00. We'll see what happens.

My test tonight. I have PTAT on and I have a timer set for three different prime time shows at 9:00. We'll see what happens.

I set a timer for all four network 8pm shows and two other non-pta 8pm shows. Six individually set timers total + the PTA timer. All 6 shows recorded. The 4 PTA shows are in my PTA folder and saved in my main DVR folder. The two non PTA shows are saved in my main DVR folder. I could watch and switch between any of the 6 shows live on both Hopper and Joeys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts