Hopper news updates

I thought March 8th was the day that Dish was going to start taking order, with march 15th the date for install? I see that is not the case - where I'm I coming up with this march 8th day?

I thought March 8th was the day that Dish was going to start taking order, with march 15th the date for install? I see that is not the case - where I'm I coming up with this march 8th day?
March 8th had something to do with retailers ordering equipment. March 15th is when the Dish computer system would accept customer installations/upgrades for the Hopper/Joey.

Last edited:
Thats the day that retailers could start ordering them for their inventory so they had them on the 15th. :)

Each Hopper will support 3 Joeys. If Dish is allowing you 7 receivers now, why wouldn't they let you upgrade to 7 with 2 Hoppers and 5 Joeys. You'll then have DVR access from all TVs.
The limit on a 2-Hopper system is 4 Joeys due to bandwidth limits on the local MoCA network. I was told that could possibly be raised depending on real-world results once these are in the field.

I don't want to be a jerk, but isn't this thread labeled hopper news? We now have page after page of "my setup". Really a sticky like this should be kept on topic. Release info, stock updates, shipping announcements, last minute changes to fees etc... I'm pretty sure there are plenty of "what about my setup" threads. Let's get this one back to actual Hopper updates...

The limit on a 2-Hopper system is 4 Joeys due to bandwidth limits on the local MoCA network. I was told that could possibly be raised depending on real-world results once these are in the field.

I thought the limit published is 3 Joeys per Hopper. Are you saying "Sure, you can have 3 Joeys on a Hopper, but only one on the second Hopper?" And are they really "on" a Hopper, once seamless integration is here?

navychop said:
I thought the limit published is 3 Joeys per Hopper. Are you saying "Sure, you can have 3 Joeys on a Hopper, but only one on the second Hopper?" And are they really "on" a Hopper, once seamless integration is here?

Only 3 joeys per hopper, but 2 hoppers can only run 4 joeys. Joeys will technically be tied to specific hoppers via the node. Once integrated you will be able to see them all together, but they are still hooked to a specific hopper.

I wonder if, in the event that the content is on the "other" Hopper, the program will need to be relayed through the host Hopper hence doubling the bandwidth required.

I wonder if, in the event that the content is on the "other" Hopper, the program will need to be relayed through the host Hopper hence doubling the bandwidth required.

or perhaps there is a simple db that is kept on both systems to track content so that the Joey pulls the stream from the correct hopper. this wouldn't be too difficult to pull off with linux.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

or perhaps there is a simple db that is kept on both systems to track content so that the Joey pulls the stream from the correct hopper.
There's likely more to it than just moving the video stream. Something has to be able to handle the transport controls and insert any graphic overlays.

I called dish lastnight. They said dish would not sell hoppers until 4-1...but all local retailers will start selling them 3-15. How does that make sense? I called my local retailer lastnight at 10pm...(they answered..lol) Said I was the first in bloomington indiana...to call his store..with purchase questions bout hopper. Again...he said to call back wed,and well get it going

Mfinchv1 said:
I called dish lastnight. They said dish would not sell hoppers until 4-1...but all local retailers will start selling them 3-15. How does that make sense? I called my local retailer lastnight at 10pm...(they answered..lol) Said I was the first in bloomington indiana...to call his store..with purchase questions bout hopper. Again...he said to call back wed,and well get it going

I suspect that may be yet another misinformed Dish CSR. At least, I hope so.

I have to ask. What prompted you to call a retailer at 10:00 on a Saturday night???:confused:

There's likely more to it than just moving the video stream. Something has to be able to handle the transport controls and insert any graphic overlays.

that would be the joey. the data is streamed just like with netflix, Hulu, bb, Amazon etc.

the hopper where the content resides is the file server via any number of potential protocols.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk