Hopper on legacy lnb

kdarcangelis870

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
I would like to take my hopper tailgating with me and have a question about lnb compatibility. Currently I have a dish 1000.4 connected to a solo node. Due to the inconvenience of the dish being located on the roof, I would like to know If I could use my old dish 500 with a legacy twin lnb and use it instead. Pretty much I would have the legacy twin lnb connected directly to the hopper and only use the one tuner which is fine by me. Does the hopper work with legacy equipment or does it have to be dish pro?

Well, I actually gave it a shot tonight and surprisingly it worked, somewhat. I was able to see everything on 119 but nothing on 110 and of course only 1 tuner worked. I guess it is not able to access the internal switch built into the legacy twin lnb.

Well, I actually gave it a shot tonight and surprisingly it worked, somewhat. I was able to see everything on 119 but nothing on 110 and of course only 1 tuner worked. I guess it is not able to access the internal switch built into the legacy twin lnb.
Legacy uses voltage switching either 12 or 18 volts. Dish Pro uses nominal 18 volts and band stacking the 2 systems are not compatible.

No internal switch on the legacy lnb. You're only getting 119 because you're connected to the 119 side of the lnb. You'd need a sw21 to get both sats on the single line but my guess is the hopper wouldn't pick it up with the switch.

Id be careful running the hopper on that old equipment. They're pretty finicky when they're set up the way they're supposed to be.

The wind blew down my tripod mounted Dish 1000.2, sheared the rivits that hold the LNB support arm.
The wife wanted TV, so I connected 2 RG6 cables from my Motosat dish 500 DPP on the roof. My 2 Hoppers seem to be working OK. I will be testing more soon, while I am researching corrective action for the tripod mounted dish.

No internal switch on the legacy lnb. You're only getting 119 because you're connected to the 119 side of the lnb. You'd need a sw21 to get both sats on the single line but my guess is the hopper wouldn't pick it up with the switch.

Not true, legacy twin puts out 110/119 on a single line. See boba's explanation as to why it doesn't work with Hopper.

As for OP, Hopper only works with DPP equipment. Just get a cheap DPP Twin and call it a day, or better yet get a 1000.2/1000.4 since the 500 doesn't pick up HD.

The wind blew down my tripod mounted Dish 1000.2, sheared the rivits that hold the LNB support arm.

Well that's shocking. :eek: I would have guessed the whole dish would come down before the LNB support arm alone would come off.

Well that's shocking. :eek: I would have guessed the whole dish would come down before the LNB support arm alone would come off.

The whole dish id come down, it landed face first on the LNB arm. That caused 2 of the 4 rivets to shear leaving the arm acting as a hinge. The arm now swings up and down freely. After some testing I verified I get only 110 and 119 and 2 tuners.
We do see the finding signal screen frequently when changing channels.
My bedroom Hopper missed recording some of my favorite shows, since I only ran check switch and red button reset on the LR Hopper. That has been corrected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)