Hopper + OTA on the same RG6 cable?

theoak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Idaho
Thinking of the Hopper with Sling ...

My current setup is a 722K.

I run my OTA using a "splitter" (sorry forget the technical name) ... where the OTA and satellite signals run on the same cable ... when the cable gets to my 722K ... I use another "splitter" to separate the signals out and hook things up accordingly to my 722K.

With the Hopper and its MOCA and all the other signals it has firing around ... is sending the OTA signal down through the same cable possible?

Thanks

Last edited:
I think a separate line would need to be run for ota in your scenario. I believe sharing the line will cause moca problems. However, you can get a Hopper ota dongle and connect your ota line and then the joeys linked to that hopper can access the ota channels. This eliminates the need for a second line and sharing in the idea you had.

Yup the OTA freq range is in the same range that the MOCA uses, so diplexing the OTA in will not work.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yup the OTA freq range is in the same range that the MOCA uses, so diplexing the OTA in will not work.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I found that out the hard way when I first tried to install my hopper and use a diplexor to split it to ota before the node last year when I first got my hopper. But for some reason everyone was telling me that it should work, but mocca will not work with the coax diplexed.

I connected a OTA and Joey signal to a (splitter/diplexer) after the node which I then unsplited giving a good signal to the Joey then the OTA coax continued to another room where i have the hopper. It's all good.

DSC03889.JPG
And you still have mocca to all rooms?

Yes I do. Now remember, that hopper already has a sat feed coming from the node on its own independent coax in that room. Since you can't use a diplexer on that hopper due to frequency difference, I used the the room next door which has a Joey and used the diplexer there to break out the Joey feed and the ota feed coming from the node. I then drilled a hole in the wall to bring in the ota coax into the hopper room and plugged it into the ota dongle to the hopper giving ota to all the joeys. The frequency out of the node for the joeys is 5-1000 MHZ so the diplexer works fine. I have attached a picture showing how it's connected.

Last edited:
Sounds Cool. I tried to diplex it before the node and it was a no go. I ended up using a separate coax run to an unauthorized old 211k ,for my power supply for my terk 44 ota antenna clipped to a separate old dish 1000. From there I diplexed it again, in the house to provide ota for all my ota devices.

That doesn't make sense. Having the Hopper or the Joey line diplexed shouldn't make a difference. OTA and MoCA share the same frequencies so there would be interference regardless. Not to mention that the diplexers are designed to diplex a sat feed (950-2150MHz) and a VHF/UHF feed, not two feeds with similar frequencies.

Does System Status show four green bars on all receivers with that setup? OTA reception is unaffected as well?

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

That doesn't make sense. Having the Hopper or the Joey line diplexed shouldn't make a difference. OTA and MoCA share the same frequencies so there would be interference regardless. Not to mention that the diplexers are designed to diplex a sat feed (950-2150MHz) and a VHF/UHF feed, not two feeds with similar frequencies.

Does System Status show four green bars on all receivers with that setup? OTA reception is unaffected as well?

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

OTA is unaffected but now that you mention the status, I checked the system status on the 2 Joey's that I'm using and its showing 4 yellow bars on MoCA. The Hopper is showing 4 green bars. I'm still getting all my sat channels and ota on the hopper and the joeys. To me that's what matters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts