Hopper Remote in IR mode

lex61

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Broomfield, CO
I'm trying to program a learning remote to work with my new Hopper/Joey setup. IR mode is enabled on both the Hopper and Joey I'm working with. The way it should work is I press a button on the learning remote to enable "learning mode", then press the corresponding button on the original remote (the Hopper remote in this case). If the learning remote is unable to detect an IR code from the original remote, the process fails. That's exactly what's happening with my Hopper remote, as well as with a second remote for a Joey. I've tried Red, Blue, Ch Up, Ch Down, and several numbers, all with the same results. I'm suspicious that IR mode on the Hopper remote only uses IR mode for non-Hopper/Joey devices (TV, DVD,...), and the Hopper remote still only communicates with the Hopper via UHF. Of course the other option (and maybe more likely one) is that I'm just not setting something up correctly. Any suggestions?

thanks,

joe.

get a 20.0 IR remote (set to address #1) and learn from that.
The 40.0 remote is UHF ONLY for the SAT mode so you cannot learn from it.

The Hopper/Joey remotes do not transmit IR signals. They only transmit Zigbee RF signals. The Hopper/Joey will accept IR from other remotes but they need to get the codes elsewhere.

If you have an older 622/722 remote those will give the proper signals. I have heard that the color buttons are generic and can be learned from any remote that has those buttons.

Colored buttons are the same for all Dish devices. But I think the only IR Dish remotes that have them are the 20.0 mentioned earlier and the 21.1 in IR mode. If you don't have one of those to learn from, there are lots of other options, including harmony, pronto hex, JP1, etc. Post back with what you've got to learn from (besides a 40.0 or 32.0 remote) and we can advise.

Unfortunately this is my first Dish system, so the only remote I have is the latest one; a 40.0. My remote is a ProntoPro TSU6000 (old, but it still works). Hex codes will work.

thanks,

joe.

The Hopper/Joey remotes do not transmit IR signals. They only transmit Zigbee RF signals. The Hopper/Joey will accept IR from other remotes but they need to get the codes elsewhere.

If you have an older 622/722 remote those will give the proper signals. I have heard that the color buttons are generic and can be learned from any remote that has those buttons.

What signal do they send to my IR TV for on/off and volume?

Search 922 red at remotecentral.com for the hex codes. Otherwise, I'll try to post a link later. You'll probably want to get discrete on and off while you're at it.

Pat, the poster meant the 40.0 won't transmit Dish IR. Obviously it sends IR to other devices. The OP needs Dish IR which is impossible to get from a 40.0.

Search 922 red at remotecentral.com for the hex codes. Otherwise, I'll try to post a link later. You'll probably want to get discrete on and off while you're at it.

Thanks. I was already there today but wasn't sure which device to look for.

joe.

I used the VIP722 codes to program my ProntoPro for my Hopper, and they all work (including red, green, yellow, and blue), but the "0" doesn't for some reason. Any ideas?

joe.

get a 20.0 IR remote (set to address #1) and learn from that.
The 40.0 remote is UHF ONLY for the SAT mode so you cannot learn from it.

Colored buttons are the same for all Dish devices. But I think the only IR Dish remotes that have them are the 20.0 mentioned earlier and the 21.1 in IR mode. If you don't have one of those to learn from, there are lots of other options, including harmony, pronto hex, JP1, etc. Post back with what you've got to learn from (besides a 40.0 or 32.0 remote) and we can advise.

I want to thank you both as I was having a scrolling page issue with my 32.0 remote(it would take off scrolling by itself when I was scrolling through the pages) with my 922,took your advice I had an extra 21.1 remote set it up for IR and now it works good to scroll through the pages on my guide with my 922.Thanks!.:D