Hopper Transfer Mobile?

satjay

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 30, 2005
Michigan
http://www.fiercecable.com/story/di...per-transfers-mobile-video-product/2012-11-16

Dish Network (Nasdaq: DISH) filed a trademark application on Nov. 8 for the brand Hopper Transfers, which the satellite TV provider said could be used for delivering video and audio mobile phones, tablets, PCs and other devices.

Dish unveiled its Hopper DVR at the Consumer Electronics Show in January. The multiroom DVR delivers video in subscriber homes to client set-tops that Dish has nicknamed Joey. The DVR also contains an AutoHop function that can automatically remove all of the commercials from primetime programs on ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox.

Dish spokesman Aaron Johnson wouldn't say what the company may do with the Hopper Transfers brand. "Dish files for trademarks frequently as we explore potential avenues to go to market. We have not made any announcements about this," Johnson told FierceCable. It's worth noting that Dish already offers subscribers the ability to access video from Hopper and other DVRs on mobile devices through its Slingbox receivers, which are manufactured by sister company EchoStar.

While Dish says Hopper has been popular with subscribers, several broadcasters are have filed copyright infringement lawsuits against the company aimed at forcing it to disable the commercial skipping technology.

Read more: Dish Network trademarks 'Hopper Transfers' for mobile video product - FierceCable http://www.fiercecable.com/story/di...mobile-video-product/2012-11-16#ixzz2CQE7ACgf
Subscribe: http://www.fiercecable.com/signup?sourceform=Viral-Tynt-FierceCable-FierceCable

This would be great if it was an answer to the Nomad. And I bet it could be available before the "coming soon" to Android and iPad apps for the DirecTV Nomad. :)

I know that Dish has been working on being able to transfer shows from the receiver to a mobile device like an iPhone or iPad. They showed this as a concept two years ago at Team Summit with the 922. When I asked about it this year they said the ability is there but are working on the copyright agreements with the companies who own the rights to the programs.

I'm sure most of you are familiar with the Archos Dish Players they had a few years ago. They were pretty handy but it would be so much better on an iPad.

Yeah saw a demo of software that could transcode shows for you portable device much like the DIRECTV nomad.

Don't know if this is anything like that though. I guess we will see at CES.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I'd love to go to CES again some year but it won't be this coming year. Looks like I'm going to Vegas for March Madness instead.

Yeah saw a demo of software that could transcode shows for you portable device much like the DIRECTV nomad.

Don't know if this is anything like that though. I guess we will see at CES.

Do we already have part of it on the Hopper? Has anyone else noticed the "Paired Devices" option in S230? (NOT the bluetooth option, but the item tucked away under Diagnostics with a button graphic of a notebook and smartphones.)

Last edited:
JM42 said:
Do we may already have part of it on the Hopper? Has anyone else noticed the "Device Pairings" option in S230? (NOT the bluetooth option, but the item tucked away under Diagnostics with a button graphic of a notebook and smartphones.)

Can't wait to find out what that's for

Forum search is working :) I got S230 today and noticed this option as well, and the icon didn't seem to be bluetooth. Wonder if some new mobile app will appear at CES?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts