Hopper with joeys have 2 flaws/ Don't Upgrade to a Hopper system

What about timers? If I have a movie set to record between, say, 12:30 am and 2 am, and I am using the new H3, will the new software update pop on at 1 am and ruin my recording?
With the 622 I have now, the software update trumps my timer setting and I lose my recording, but that's not a problem because there is an easy fix: I just change my update time from 3 am to 3 pm.
The 622 is an older receiver with older software - works totally different than a Hopper 3. There has been no way to change the update time - for 4 years - with Hopper systems, that's why it's a big deal for those of us that stay up late.

Actually its hourly not every 20 minutes.
No, will have to argue that. Maybe 1/2 hour at best to your point.
Either way, that would get annoying pretty fast.

Nobody said you were making things up, my Hopper 2's & Joeys used to shut down every night between 1-1:30 as well - until the NEW software. That's what we keep saying, the new software will eliminate that problem for you so just be patient until it is released to the older Hoppers. I complained about the update for 4 years (the Wireless Joey actually rebooted twice, was really frustrating).
So, does anybody know when the new software will be released to the original Hopper?

What about timers? If I have a movie set to record between, say, 12:30 am and 2 am, and I am using the new H3, will the new software update pop on at 1 am and ruin my recording?

With the 622 I have now, the software update trumps my timer setting and I lose my recording, but that's not a problem because there is an easy fix: I just change my update time from 3 am to 3 pm.
That's weird, my ViP722k would do the opposite. Even with the update set for 3 AM, if it was in the middle of a recording, it would wait until the next hour after the recording finished before doing the nightly reset.

.....So, does anybody know when the new software will be released to the original Hopper?.....

Not Charlie, not Vivek, not even the programmers. In fact, it is not even certain that it will make it to the original Hopper.

A lot can happen over the next year. And I'd say we're likely to all be enjoying late season peaches before it will roll, if it rolls.

That's weird, my ViP722k would do the opposite. Even with the update set for 3 AM, if it was in the middle of a recording, it would wait until the next hour after the recording finished before doing the nightly reset.

My 722 and 612's also wait.

My Hopper with Sling also waits for recordings to finish. My HWS only takes 5 to 10 minutes to reboot (I have no Joeys). When I am awake at 1:30 AM and the HWS wants to reboot, I allow it to do so because I know I'll be watching TV again in just a few minutes.

I don't know why Dish would allow a setup of an H2 (HWS) with 3 Joey system--there's not enough tuners for that many Joeys and it's probably slow too. That is not a reasonable setup. I would contact Dish and tell them you are not happy. The H3 is what you should have with that many Joeys.

Last edited:
I don't know why Dish would allow a setup of an H2 (HWS) with 3 Joey system--there's not enough tuners for that many Joeys and it's probably slow too.
It's only an issue for the rare times that all TVs are in use. We have 4 TVs and right now, one is being used... I doubt that is that uncommon.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: xfoneguy
My Hopper with Sling also waits for recordings to finish. My HWS only takes 5 to 10 minutes to reboot (I have no Joeys). When I am awake at 1:30 AM and the HWS wants to reboot, I allow it to do so because I know I'll be watching TV again in just a few minutes.

I don't know why Dish would allow a setup of an H2 (HWS) with 3 Joey system--there's not enough tuners for that many Joeys and it's probably slow too. That is not a reasonable setup. I would contact Dish and tell them you are not happy. The H3 is what you should have with that many Joeys.
Your HWS "waits for recordings to finish" (before reboot I assume) - are you still using the old UI or Carbon? With the old UI my HWS almost always interrupted (and split) my recordings that were happening between 1 and 2AM. (I've since upgraded to the H3 and no longer have that problem)

Last edited:
Your HWS "waits for recordings to finish" (before reboot I assume) - are you still using the old UI or Carbon? With the old UI my HWS almost always interrupted (and split) my recordings that were happening between 1 and 2AM. (I've since upgraded to the H3 and no longer have that problem)

I have the old UI.

It's only an issue for the rare times that all TVs are in use. We have 4 TVs and right now, one is being used... I doubt that is that uncommon.

I'm single and am using all 3 tuners on my HWS right now. That setup might be okay if there are only 2 people using it. 3 or more users would likely run into tuner conflicts. Once Dish came out with the H3, a HWS install with 3 joeys no longer makes sense.

Reactions: peggy97850
In my experience almost every night, My HopperWS ALWAYS asks if I want to allow a shut down. In the instances I have selected NO, it does not reboot, even if it contiunes to ask me each following hour, and I choose "No" it won't reboot, and then by some time around 4AM, it won't ask again until 1AM the following morning. The same is true of my Joeys.

In fact, it is a problem that one person in our household continually denies the HopperWS to reboot. I don't think their HWS gets a reboot but once a week.

Yes, OP, it is a pain, and Dish should be addressing this. I agree, because if one is not in the room when the prompt asks for option to reboot, it does so very soon after. This can be really, really annoying.

As for the option of a bigger font, that is supposed to be an option when all the Hoppers and HWS's are upgraded to the new Carbon UI.

Reactions: pattykay
As has been said several times, Dish HAS finally addressed this - once the HWS gets the Carbon UI it will behave like the H3, IOW no nightly update while actively watching on Hopper or Joeys. The units will get their updates when in standby.

What would be more helpful would be a default NOT to reboot if there is no response. but with a warning that it will 4 hours later (or some pre-selected time frame).

In my experience almost every night, My HopperWS ALWAYS asks if I want to allow a shut down. In the instances I have selected NO, it does not reboot, even if it contiunes to ask me each following hour, and I choose "No" it won't reboot, and then by some time around 4AM, it won't ask again until 1AM the following morning. The same is true of my Joeys.

In fact, it is a problem that one person in our household continually denies the HopperWS to reboot. I don't think their HWS gets a reboot but once a week.

Yes, OP, it is a pain, and Dish should be addressing this. I agree, because if one is not in the room when the prompt asks for option to reboot, it does so very soon after. This can be really, really annoying.

As for the option of a bigger font, that is supposed to be an option when all the Hoppers and HWS's are upgraded to the new Carbon UI.
unfortunately in the case of recordings (and no one actively watching) there was no one to "answer" - I had a lot of split-recordings in evidence.

In my experience almost every night, My HopperWS ALWAYS asks if I want to allow a shut down. In the instances I have selected NO, it does not reboot, even if it contiunes to ask me each following hour, and I choose "No" it won't reboot, and then by some time around 4AM, it won't ask again until 1AM the following morning.
This sounds almost like the nightly reboot rules for the 501. A 501 will only reboot if there is a four-hour long block of inactivity that ends between 1AM and 5AM. In other words, any button press after 9PM will delay the reboot. Any button press after 1AM will prevent the 501 from rebooting until the following morning.

Dish should be addressing this. I agree, because if one is not in the room when the prompt asks for option to reboot, it does so very soon after. This can be really, really annoying.
When the prompt comes up on a 501, it waits almost 15 minutes before finally rebooting. It is sad that a really old DVR has better reboot rules than the much newer Hopper systems. (The ones without the Carbon UI, anyway)

If recording something will cause a delay as some have suggested this is an easy fix. Set up a timer to record the same channel every night between 1 and 4. tell it to only keep one or two episodes of what the timer is set for.

Sadly, a timer doesn't stop the reboot. You'll just end up with a split recording.

It is sad that a really old DVR has better reboot rules than the much newer Hopper systems. (The ones without the Carbon UI, anyway)
I think the issue or reason that reboots were mandatory was for stability reasons. We started with Dish and the 522 DVR, 625, 622, and then 722k. On ALL of those, if they didn't reboot, they were unstable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)