Hopper With Sling, Optical Audio Cutting Out

Multiple people are having this issue, which would lead one to believe replacing the box wouldn't solve the problem.
Most likely software but by checking the id's they could narrow down the hardware components to possible bad chips used during production. Slim I'll grant you. I have an HWS(purchased from Dish Depot). I have absolutely no problems with optical out and use that method nightly.

Have the exact same sound issue. It must be a software problem because it was happening and they did an update which appeared to fix it and then maybe just a couple of weeks later, did another update and it started cutting out again. I called a couple of times and they sent me a new hopper. This one is worse than the previous one. Contacted them today and they want me to pay $90 for a technician to come out and take a look since it is not under warranty (not sure how it is not under warranty since i JUST got the new one they sent). I told them this is a know issue but they still wanted the $90 technician to come out. I told them no thanks and most likely will cancel Dish and they provided me with the number to call to cancel. Unbelievable. I guess they have too many customers and want to help Direct Tv get customers.

they are really clueless and they have told me I need to keep a record of whenever it stops playing audio, I guess that will be my new part time job, not paid by the way. Of course it is software, and they should never have sent you a new receiver.

I just replaced a Vizio SB with one from Yamaha - the Vizio is only PCM & when connected with toslink cable loses audio at just about every FF/REW or PTAT jump. The new Yamaha so far has worked flawlessly with Dolby setting & toslink using same cables at same receiver. Is the Yamaha reading the signal differently? Can't be just the PCM setting change, as others have the issue using Dolby settings as well. Totally frustrated with Dish's response to this - have provided receiver & soundbar information several times with no change.

I have a Denon AVR 3802 and a Sony KDL55EX500.

If you take the optical out of the Hopper directly to the Denon, you will get the audio dropouts.

If you take the Optical out of the TV (after receiving the HDMI signal from the Hopper) you will NOT have audio problems.

So the problem lies within the Hopper pulling the bitstream out through the toslink ports. (Wiggling sometimes helps, so it may be a hardware problem)

But if you are able to pull an optical cable from your TV to your AVR, you should be good to go.

Will using a toslink to digital converter "fix" the issue? Soundbar has both inputs but Hopper doesn't & tv only has headphone out (bought cheap tv since I was using Dish 722 audio out w/sb). It's worth the $15 (Monoprice) if I can get consistent sound again.

Will using a toslink to digital converter "fix" the issue? Soundbar has both inputs but Hopper doesn't & tv only has headphone out (bought cheap tv since I was using Dish 722 audio out w/sb). It's worth the $15 (Monoprice) if I can get consistent sound again.

I wouldn't think so, since it is the Hopper's optical output itself which is dropping out. If you convert optical to coaxial, it will still drop out. Just like that old metaphor, "garbage in, garbage out," or in this case, "nothing in, nothing out." haha :D

I am using an HDMI switch from Monoprice, the HDX-401TA (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=5557), that has an optical output that strips the audio from the HDMI stream and sends it to my AVR through its optical in, while the HDMI goes directly from the switch to my TV and there are no dropouts when connected that way and I get full DD audio.

A user on the other site suggested an order to turn on components that really seems to work.

http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/206893-hopper2-s316-software-experiencesbugs/#entry3183513

Hope this helps.

I am using an HDMI switch from Monoprice, the HDX-401TA (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=5557), that has an optical output that strips the audio from the HDMI stream and sends it to my AVR through its optical in, while the HDMI goes directly from the switch to my TV and there are no dropouts when connected that way and I get full DD audio.

A user on the other site suggested an order to turn on components that really seems to work.

http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/206893-hopper2-s316-software-experiencesbugs/#entry3183513

Hope this helps.

This product looks like a good work-around for the Hopper optical dropout problem. Cool device.

I have one HWS that does not have the audio issue so I first switched soundbars, then switched hoppers to see if things changed. Issue is not hopper, it is location - BR has audio dropout with either hopper, LR does not. The BR HWS is 2 months old & got updated software right after it was setup, so I blamed it on software since others have same problem. When I moved Joey to that connection there was no dropout, so not sure what to try next.

Same cables - just moved from one room to another & reconnected hoppers.

DIRT wants to replace HWS, not sure why since they both work in the LR, it's just the BR HWS connection that isn't working right, so it doesn't seem like the box is the issue.

Last edited:
Peggy, it is a software problem. Just tell DIRT about your inconvenience and request $10 per month credits. Don't bother with a new Hopper.

DIRT told me no credits earlier this week, that's why I'm still trying other options - if moving the BR hopper to the LR location fixed the issue with that box, & the working one (orig LR) is now dropping audio at the BR location, doesn't seem like it's the box - don't even know which one should be replaced since they have both worked when connected in LR.

DIRT told me no credits earlier this week, that's why I'm still trying other options - if moving the BR hopper to the LR location fixed the issue with that box, & the working one (orig LR) is now dropping audio at the BR location, doesn't seem like it's the box - don't even know which one should be replaced since they have both worked when connected in LR.

Peggy97850 are you using the exact same AVR in each setup?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

Tried using 2 different soundbars, also tried with same soundbar - both had audio drop out in BR location with 2 different hoppers. I would think it was the cable from the node except that the Joey played fine when I tried it, no drop out. And I've also tried several different toslink cables, no difference.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)