Hopper with Sling Rebooting

Tron2012

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
IL Suburbs
I posted some comments a while back on the problem I'm experiencing and wanted to get feedback if anyone else was still having the same problem. Had my Hopper, Hopper w/Sling and Joey since April of this year and still the Hopper w/Sling is acting up. But not all the time and not always a repeatable scenario.

What happens is that when I'm on the Hw/S and I access the other non-Sling Hopper in another room, the Hw/S will either not playback the recording I selected from the non-Sling box (black screen or simply reverts back to the channel being viewed on the Hw/S, with or without audio) or will automatically reboot itself. Sometimes I can view the recording on the other Hopper, sometimes not. Sometimes I can try 2 or three times and it may work once.

Been driving me (and the wife) crazy. After a reboot of the Hw/S the problem goes away...for a while. Sometimes days. Sometimes a week or so. The Joey works fine and when viewing the Hw/S recordings from the other Hopper it never fails like the Sling.

Wanted to see if it was a know problem or if it's just my equipment.

Thanks.

With one HwS and no MOCA connections, you can have a reboot. I get them if I pull the USB on an EHD and much less often pulling the EHD power.

I think it can happen anytime there is a major load of things to do or when switching connections. If in doubt, don't change setup while recording and viewing and doing anything else while making a critical recording of a keeper. Wait for a "quiet" time and possibly pause playback, too. Most of the time it will work but if there is no chance for a rerun use discretion.
-Ken

It may have to do with your moca connection. What software is on each box? Do you have bridging enabled?

Really do not think it has anything to do with Moca. I checked and even put the status icon on screen and it's full good green. I tried again this morning and it didn't reboot, but did the goofy black screen on Hw/S with audio. Like I mentioned, this happens at times too. Seems this happens more than the flaky rebooting. Doubt this is a hardware problem either as it's very random.

When I tried to make it fail Sunday morning around 8am it wouldn't. No matter what recording I was trying to watch from the bedroom non-Sling Hopper. Tried it with and without Auto Hop, starting over from beginning. Nothing wrong. Then on the Hw/S I went to our local PBS channel and started to record whatever was on. To tie up one tuner. Still worked fine. Then to tie up a second tuner I started to record the History channel. Noticed in the past that when either of these two channels was recording it seemed to act up. Sure it's coincidence, but you have a tendency to remember when cr@p happens. Sure enough, with two tuners tied up it was up to its old tricks. Did not reboot, but did the audio only, no picture of the History channel on the Hw/S. Would not play what I selected from the other Hopper.

And there is no way I'm going to accept waiting to watch something from the other Hopper just as a bandaid to a problem!

Regular Hopper software is: S401 and the Hw/S is: S316.

Did you also have "on" a Joey? That could tie up a tuner, even if not being actively viewed.
-Ken

Nope. PTAT is not enabled on the Hw/S and Joey not on. Showed all three tuners on the Hopper with Sling. And for clarification, the Hopper has the Sling built-in. Not the Sling as an accessory.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)