Hopper with Sling: Search not functioning

kresston

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 29, 2004
Home of the HOKIES!!
Has anyone else had issues with search not functioning on their HWSs? I have two HWSs and this occurs on both. Say I want to search for "Baggage" on GSN (116). I go to the guide, find the airing, which on 9/21 it's showing in a marathon showing. There are several airings tonight but if I hit the Search button on the remote it takes me to the search screen, but the only option is an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond (episode name is Baggage). Now say I want to search for "South Park" on Comedy Central (107). I find the closest airing and hit search, this time I get a "No Results Found" message even though I can see from the guide that they are airing them for hours.

All of this has no affect on searching for recording, if I create a New and Reruns timer then the episodes are found and recorded.

Just wondering if this is a personal system issue or something greater (I will try a system reboot after PrimeTime Anytime wraps up to see if it has any affect).

It's going to be limited to your system. I actually ran that test, for a customer on another forum today(they were just installed and wanted specific info and details), and it worked optimally. When it try's to update tonight, let it do its update(don't even hit yes, let it shut off on its own, don't have any recordings going at around 130), and that should clear that up. Another option is to run a check switch test and reset. Please do wait for the ptat to end, as new episodes tonight. Finally.

After waiting for the overnight reset and even doing check switches on both HWSs search is still not functioning optimally. Searching for South Park this morning returned the familiar "No Results Found." Some searches are productive such as The Golden Girls, but the only results are for Saturday and Sunday for TVLand, none for Hallmark. Both are on S506. I even removed both from the WiFi network to see if that had an effect but it did not. The system has been in place since Feb of this year, and this is the first I've had issues with the search function.

Any other ideas?

Yes, put it into standby and leave it alone. It takes about 1.5 from start to finish for all guide and search content to download and created.

I don't know why it didn't update last night, but this is what I would try at this point.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Have to ask, but did you look at the filters section (red button) once you are in the actual search results screen? To be sure all filter settings are set to "All"? I know that once you exit the filter screen the settings should all change back to "all" as a default but would check filters section for sanity sake.

For me, when all else fails I simply unplug my HWS before I go to bed and plug back in in the morning. To be sure it really does dump all the memory or whatever is left hanging around for a while after an unplug.

What are your signal strengths on all your satellites. Also, what transponders are you looking at?

119 1 2 3
14 71 71 71
15 76 75 76
16 78 79 79
21 75 73 73

110 1 2 3
14 66 65 66
15 60 59 59
16 62 62 61
21 58 58 57

129 1 2 3
19 40 40 40
20 55 55 55
29 58 59 58
30 55 55 55

Have to ask, but did you look at the filters section (red button) once you are in the actual search results screen? To be sure all filter settings are set to "All"? I know that once you exit the filter screen the settings should all change back to "all" as a default but would check filters section for sanity sake.

For me, when all else fails I simply unplug my HWS before I go to bed and plug back in in the morning. To be sure it really does dump all the memory or whatever is left hanging around for a while after an unplug.

I have checked this as well and they all say "All"

Hmmm at that point I would say a KPI. Everything looks good. I don't know if this was asked before, but just for sh*ts and giggles, have you had a hit sent to your receiver?

ChadT41, I will have one sent tomorrow via DIRT. I have also noticed that video playback either recorded or live has intermittent jumps in the video and audio. What is the best way to check the hard drives to make sure that they are not heading south?

I think the video is going to just be the hopper. Mine does that also, and I have seen dozens of reports about it. If you want to check, I would say record a few things, make sure they are all working then check in the counters, for any odd numbers.

Sorry. Off topic, just saw something and am curious what yours says. When you are in view counters, go to epg version and epg schedule start time. What does it say?

Hmm. Weird. Mine is 10, and 1pm but I'm in Az so that might make that difference. I was expecting a whole different number. Yea. I would just contact dirt on this issue from here.

I just noticed on my second HWS that the seek and record timers are messed up as well. I have one for Top Gear on BBC and one for a show on an SD channel. The SD one shows up some episodes but the one for Top Gear shows No Records Found. After PTAT finishes on my second HWS I'll find the info you asked for earlier for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)