Hopper3 Network Question

dweber

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 29, 2005
Plain City, OH
I reserve fixed I/P addresses for all the devices on my home network using the device MAC address in my Netgear router.

Living Room Hopper 3 was 192.168.1.6 with MAC address 04:C9:D9:A8:2E:C6

Family Room Hopper3 moca 192.168.1.17 with MAC address 04:C9:D9:E2:96

Bedroom Joey3 Moca 192.168.1.18 with MAC address 88:B6:EE:13:96:05

Recently I have noticed that my Dish receivers are not using the reserved addresses.

Living Room Hopper3 Ethernet bottom is now 192.168.1.34
The MAC address on the Dish screen is still 04:C9:D9:A8:2E:C6
But the MAC address in the router is now 88:B6:EE:20:30:62

Family Room Hopper3 moca is now 192.168.1.46
The MAC address on the Dish screen is still 04:C9::D9:9D:E2:96
But the MAC address in the router is now 88:B6:EE:20:30:60

The bedroom Joey3 Moca stayed at 192.168.1.18 and the Moca address stayed at 88:B6:EE:13:96:05

I have rebooted my Netgear Router and reset the network on all of my Dish devices with no changes.

What is going on? Why is the MAC address in my router different from the actual MAC address shown on the Dish screens?

Everything seems to be working ok with download speeds of 236 Mbps but with all my network devices I prefer to have fixed I/P addresses for all my devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I reserve fixed I/P addresses for all the devices on my home network using the device MAC address in my Netgear router.

Living Room Hopper 3 was 192.168.1.6 with MAC address 04:C9:D9:A8:2E:C6

Family Room Hopper3 moca 192.168.1.17 with MAC address 04:C9:D9:E2:96

Bedroom Joey3 Moca 192.168.1.18
with MAC address 88:B6:EE:13:96:05

Recently I have noticed that my Dish receivers are not using the reserved addresses.

Living Room Hopper3 Ethernet bottom is now 192.168.1.34
The MAC address on the Dish screen is still 04:C9:D9:A8:2E:C6
But the MAC address in the router is now 88:B6:EE:20:30:62

Family Room Hopper3 moca is now
The MAC address on the Dish screen is still 04:C9::D9:9D:E2:96
But the MAC address in the router is now 88:B6:EE:20:30:60

The bedroom Joey3 Moca stayed at 192.168.1.18 and the Moca address stayed at 88:B6:EE:13:96:05

I have rebooted my Netgear Router and reset the network on all of my Dish devices with no changes.

What is going on? Why is the MAC address in my router different from the actual MAC address shown on the Dish screens?

Everything seems to be working ok with download speeds of 236 Mbps but with all my network devices I prefer to have fixed I/P addresses for all my devices.

WOW, I thought it was just me. I am seeing strange things too in my Orbi mesh router. I use the reserve IP method in my router. Recently started seeing a strange Mac ID that says it's a Hopper. (see attached pic) Tried everything to figure out what's going on. It's either something strange from the Hopper or my Orbi router. I checked in the Orbi forum and found there are Mac ID issues happening so I am leaning towards my router is the culprit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231217_152841_Orbi.jpg
    Screenshot_20231217_152841_Orbi.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 74
Reactions: HipKat
The first 6 characters of a MAC address tell you the manufacturer of the equipment.
I googled the first 6 digits and found the following:

Devices with MAC addresses that start with 88-B6-EE were manufactured by Dish Technologies Corp

Device Manufacturer
Dish Technologies Corp
Manufacturer Location
94 Inverness Terrace E
Englewood CO 80112
Estimated Devices using 88-B6-EE
Estimated Total Devices From Mfg
Related MAC Addresses
00-08-89, 04-C9-D9, 00-24-AF, 28-57-67, 4C-82-CF

So could Dish have changed the MAC address of existing Hopper3 receivers but left the old MAC address on the network display page. The related MAC address is what is being displayed on the Network diagnostic page. We need someone from Dish networking group. I might try to call Dish Technical Support on Monday and see if they will transfer me to their Advanced Network advisors.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The first 6 characters of a MAC address tell you the manufacturer of the equipment.
I googled the first 6 digits and found the following:

Devices with MAC addresses that start with 88-B6-EE were manufactured by Dish Technologies Corp

Device Manufacturer
Dish Technologies Corp
Manufacturer Location
94 Inverness Terrace E
Englewood CO 80112
Estimated Devices using 88-B6-EE
Estimated Total Devices From Mfg
Related MAC Addresses
00-08-89, 04-C9-D9, 00-24-AF, 28-57-67, 4C-82-CF

So could Dish have changed the MAC address of existing Hopper3 receivers but left the old MAC address on the network display page. The related MAC address is what is being displayed on the Network diagnostic page. We need someone from Dish networking group. I might try to call Dish Technical Support on Monday and see if they will transfer me to their Advanced Network advisors.

Good luck to you. I sure would like to know too. I hope someone that doesn't have a Nexgear/Orbi system would check their router to see if they are seeing strange Mac IDs for their DISH equipment too. That would be a quick answer if DISH is changing the Mac IDs. Come on fellow SatGuys members. Can someone help us out?

Well Mac addresses are specific to each device and it's built into the network adapter and can't be changed. So why the router is reporting a different address is beyond me lol, but I can assure you whatever the mac address is on the label on the receiver is its true mac address

Good luck to you. I sure would like to know too. I hope someone that doesn't have a Nexgear/Orbi system would check their router to see if they are seeing strange Mac IDs for their DISH equipment too. That would be a quick answer if DISH is changing the Mac IDs. Come on fellow SatGuys members. Can someone help us out?
UDM pro , HWS Hopper 4c:82:cf:db:92:8a
Joey 3 4c:82:cf:25:7c:99

I called Dish Technical Support and got transferred to Advanced Technical Support.
I explained that both of my Hopper3 receivers are reporting a different MAC address in my Netgear Nighthawk router than the actual MAC address shown on the Dish Network Diagnostics screen.

The agent asked how the Hopper3 receivers are connected to my home network.

My Living Room Hopper3 uses the Ethernet bottom connection with Cat 6 cable directly to my Nighthawk router.

The Family Room Hopper3 and my Joey3 both use MoCA connections.

I also told him I had the latest software version H368 and I have rebooted my router and Reset the network on all of my Dish devices with no change.

I pointed out that the first 6 digits of the new MAC address shown in attached devices to my router is registered to Dish Technologies Corporation. So the new MAC address displayed in my router is not random.

The agent agrees that the MAC address of the Hopper3 receiver should not change. He took notes and will pass it on to their engineering group.

I called Dish Technical Support and got transferred to Advanced Technical Support.
I explained that both of my Hopper3 receivers are reporting a different MAC address in my Netgear Nighthawk router than the actual MAC address shown on the Dish Network Diagnostics screen.

The agent asked how the Hopper3 receivers are connected to my home network.

My Living Room Hopper3 uses the Ethernet bottom connection with Cat 6 cable directly to my Nighthawk router.

The Family Room Hopper3 and my Joey3 both use MoCA connections.

I also told him I had the latest software version H368 and I have rebooted my router and Reset the network on all of my Dish devices with no change.

I pointed out that the first 6 digits of the new MAC address shown in attached devices to my router is registered to Dish Technologies Corporation. So the new MAC address displayed in my router is not random.

The agent agrees that the MAC address of the Hopper3 receiver should not change. He took notes and will pass it on to their engineering group.

Thanks dweber. Do you by any chance have intermentent MoCA indication showing up on your Joeys? I also have my Hopper 3 Plus connected by Ethernet and my Hopper 3 is using MoCA mode with Bridging turned off. Occasionally the MoCA indicator cones on in either of my two Joey 4s, sometimes both Joeys at the same time. The only way to clear it is by rebooting one of my Hoppers. Doesn’t make any difference which Hopper that is rebooted. I wonder if my Netgear Orbi mesh router could be causing this issue!

The moca connections to my Family Room Hopper3 and my Joey3 are always strong. I have never encountered a moca connection problem.

The moca connections to my Family Room Hopper3 and my Joey3 are always strong. I have never encountered a moca connection problem.

Thanks. I am going to get a new router next month. Guess I will find out if my present router is causing my MoCA issue.

Thanks. I am going to get a new router next month. Guess I will find out if my present router is causing my MoCA issue.
Let me see if my Orbi's do this. (I'm at work now.) I suspect the Ethernet-connected Hopper is set up to forward the connections to your 2nd Hopper and Joey(s) and therefore their MAC addresses also have to display on the Orbi. I believe my Hopper is not set up to forward, so I should not see any of these other MAC addresses, other than as a Joey which is connected both via MoCA and Ethernet. (I now have only 1 Joey.)

dweber, removed my Orbi mesh setup and installed a new T-Link Deco XE75 Pro mesh router couple days ago. I am still getting a strange Mac ID (sometimes two IDs) out of my Hopper Plus setup. So far I had the MoCA indication issue one time in one of my J4s. So that issue got a lot better. Use to happen twice a day. So maybe my old router was causing it. Time will tell.

I have used Netgear for ages and was a Beta Tester up until recently. I have moved to UniFi and am using a UDMPro with WiFi7 APs.

From my years of issues with d¡sh and NG I discovered that both have issues that require special treatment. I too used Reserved IPAs for the d¡sh gear for NG. This helped keep network confusion at a minimum.

I have found that there are several MAC Addresses for each comm component. AND that separate connection types can share MACAs.

Netgear, cough, cough, IP Reses. UniFi I'm using VLANs. I get between 3 to 8 Devices or Ghost Devices connected for the two H3s OF WHICH is constantly dropping to the remote unit.

Over the years I have discussed the this with the Tech Guys in many different environments. And was always blown off. In "normal" levels of electronics each comm component should only have one MACA per unit on the board:
1 per Ethernet (have seen 3 MAC per)
1 per Wireless (have seen 3 MAC per)
Plus being a Communications thing there's rules/laws as to how these components identify themselves on the Network.

Please see attached grab of a quiry done minutes ago off the Switch in my AV Rack:

a46e6be5df942e2b60e9e7b06506adea.jpg

My initial reason for posting was I have experience with this. But came to see if anyone has hardwired two H3s and what happens to the MoCA connection since it's now dropping continuously and getting it back is getting harder and harder to reset. I'm going to hardwire both units and let it fly. MoCA be damned!

But there are issues as to how the comm ports are set up, instructed to operate or someone thinks they're being sneaky!

P.S.
I have dealt with a ton of NG equipment and have it. Any ?s, PM me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have used Netgear for ages and was a Beta Tester up until recently. I have moved to UniFi and am using a UDMPro with WiFi7 APs.

From my years of issues with d¡sh and NG I discovered that both have issues that require special treatment. I too used Reserved IPAs for the d¡sh gear for NG. This helped keep network confusion at a minimum.

I have found that there are several MAC Addresses for each comm component. AND that separate connection types can share MACAs.

Netgear, cough, cough, IP Reses. UniFi I'm using VLANs. I get between 3 to 8 Devices or Ghost Devices connected for the two H3s OF WHICH is constantly dropping to the remote unit.

Over the years I have discussed the this with the Tech Guys in many different environments. And was always blown off. In "normal" levels of electronics each comm component should only have one MACA per unit on the board:
Plus being a Communications thing there's rules/laws as to how these components identify themselves on the Network.

Please see attached grab of a quiry done minutes ago off the Switch in my AV Rack:

My initial reason for posting was I have experience with this. But came to see if anyone has hardwired two H3s and what happens to the MoCA connection since it's now dropping continuously and getting it back is getting harder and harder to reset. I'm going to hardwire both units and let it fly. MoCA be damned!

But there are issues as to how the comm ports are set up, instructed to operate or someone thinks they're being sneaky!

Yep, Hopper 3s are using strange MoCA stuff. I thought it was Netgear issues until I changed to a TP-Link mesh setup. Same thing, so I said let it fly too.

P.S.
I have dealt with a ton of NG equipment and have it. Any ?s, PM me.

Maybe there are some virtual interfaces that pop up as needed. Maybe for tunneling/management/updates. Not sure. When you say “comm ports”, are you referring to the Ethernet ports? Comm port usually means serial port, so I wasn’t sure.

I don’t know if there’s a way to get to the underlying OS and check things out at that level. That would be handy. I was thinking it would be cool if you could get the whole OS and slap it on your own hardware with more resources. I find the Hopper pretty sluggish, and the Joey just barely able to do what it needs to do. Whatever you do, don’t hit rewind on one, it can’t compute.

I promised above to sleuth this out using my H3 and Orbi mesh routers to see what's what. I show one wired MAC address for the H3-eth0, one for the wired Joey_BR, and one more labelled Hopper3_BR. All 3 wired addresses show a different IP and MAC address.

Since there is no Hopper3 in my bedroom, I conclude that the Hopper's port forwarding of MoCA IP addresses must be what shows as the Hopper3_BR. Both Hopper and Joey are hardwired to my network. In addition, my J3 is wired to the H3 via MoCA. It actually works w/o MoCA too, but I left what my installer did since it works reliably.

I promised above to sleuth this out using my H3 and Orbi mesh routers to see what's what. I show one wired MAC address for the H3-eth0, one for the wired Joey_BR, and one more labelled Hopper3_BR. All 3 wired addresses show a different IP and MAC address.

Since there is no Hopper3 in my bedroom, I conclude that the Hopper's port forwarding of MoCA IP addresses must be what shows as the Hopper3_BR. Both Hopper and Joey are hardwired to my network. In addition, my J3 is wired to the H3 via MoCA. It actually works w/o MoCA too, but I left what my installer did since it works reliably.
It's all very strange. I wish someone could explain the strange Mac ID from the Hoppers. Wonder if the HWS is doing same thing?

Reactions: TheKrell