Orbi IP Issue

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
I have an Orbi mesh router setup. Veiwing the connected devices screen, one of my device's IP address reads 169.254.187.220. The normal IP should be my reserved 192.168.1.126 that I have set for this device. This is an internmentent issue. When I check it at another time it reads the correct IP. Rebooting the device and router does not clear up the issue. Anyone know why this is happening.?

Thanks harshness for responding. It was happening Wi-fi for the WAP. I had taken my Hopper 3 to wireless mode because of moving things around for painting my ceiling. When got done I put my Hopper 3 back into Ethernet setup. Haven't seen the 169 IP series since. Another strange thing happening is my router is saying a different MAC ID from what the Hopper says. How can that happen? I am wondering if my router is having issues. It is a 4 year old Orbi mess AC3000 router with one satellite.

The Hoppers necessarily have two Macs: one for wired and another for Wi-fi.

Your Hopper wasn't completing the Wi-fi connection for some reason. This could be due to passwords, reception issues (too close or too far from a WAP) or just not setting it up on the Hopper at all.

The Hoppers necessarily have two Macs: one for wired and another for Wi-fi.

Your Hopper wasn't completing the Wi-fi connection for some reason. This could be due to passwords, reception issues (too close or too far from a WAP) or just not setting it up on the Hopper at all.
I have all my Hopper MAC IDs listed on a spreadsheet. There are four IDs in the Hopper. Ethernet top, Ethernet bottom, MoCA, & Wireless. I have at one point used all four & they match what is listed in my router. The odd ball ID that started showing up in my router is something completely different. The Hopper still shows the correct ID. Very strange.

None of that has anything to do with your Wi-fi connection.

Next time you paint, you should go through the Wi-fi setup process on the Hopper and see if that doesn't improve your lot.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Next time you paint, you should go through the Wi-fi setup process on the Hopper and see if that doesn't improve your lot.
OK, thanks. Wife is off for Thanksgiving break. Will take my Hopper back to Wi-Fi mode next week and check things out.

harshness, I changed my Hopper setup to Wi-Fi. Router shows everything correct. Changed my Hopper setup back to wired. Again, my router is showing three entries for the Hopper. Two of them have completely different Mac IDs. My router has always read correctly till recently. I think my router is going crazy. Or, do you think the issue could be my 16-port switch for some reason?

Or, do you think the issue could be my 16-port switch for some reason?
Unless your switch is some expensive "managed" enterprise-grade device, it's not your switch.

I suspect the MAC abundance is much ado about nothing and your problem lies with the Netgear security features.

If the Joey is connected via coax to the Hopper, it doesn't technically need a conventional IP address (but it should probably get one). MoCA uses its own addressing scheme that doesn't involve DHCP.

Unless your switch is some expensive "managed" enterprise-grade device, it's not your switch.

I suspect the MAC abundance is much ado about nothing and your problem lies with the Netgear security features.

If the Joey is connected via coax to the Hopper, it doesn't technically need a conventional IP address (but it should probably get one). MoCA uses its own addressing scheme that doesn't involve DHCP.
Switch is just a regular 16-port Netgear I got several years ago. I think it was only around $50. So it's not enterprise level. There's no way to manage it. There is also a 8-port switch in the mix too. I just shut down my Dish system and and switched the Eternet cable to my other Hopper 3 Plus setup and router still shows the two strange Mac IDs. My Dish system consist of Hopper 3, Hopper 3 Plus, two Joey 4s, and two Wireless Joey 4s.

So you're down a Hopper 3 from your signature?

Maybe you need to check your spreadsheet versus your MAC count. I like to use Advanced IP Scanner as it may find things that don't ask for DHCP.
I think I fixed my signature. My spreadsheet has the correct MAC count. What is Advanced IP Scanner?

harshness, I finally replaced my Orbi mesh router with a TP-Link Deco AXE5400 Tri-Band WiFi 6E Mesh System (Deco XE75 Pro) 3 pack. New router also getting a weird Mac ID address 88-B6-EE-20-30-60 coming from my Hopper 3 with the Plus attached. Sometimes it changes by one digit to 88-B6-EE-20-30-62. Very strange. My other Hopper 3 shows the correct Mac ID. Also, my Hopper Plus, Joey WAP, and four Joey 4s all show the correct Mac ID. My Hopper 3 Plus is attached to the Internet by Ethernet cable bottom port straight to the router bypassing all Ethernet switches.. All my other Dish equipment is in MoCA mode. This week after the wife goes back to work, I will put my Hopper 3 Plus info WiFi mode and see what I get. I haven’t had a chance yet to run that advance IP scanner program you posted. I was hoping it was an Orbi issue, but the TP-Link router has proven that wrong.

harshness, I did a scan in the advance IP program. The weird Mac ID is listed too. So, I put my Dish setup into WiFi mode. My Tri Link router is listing only one item and it is my Hopper 3 Plus wireless Mac ID. So, I guess the different Mac ID is coming from the Plus for some reason when in Ethernet mode. Tomorrow I am going to switch Internet over to my Hopper 3 from the Hopper 3 Plus setup and see what I get.

I don’t have the plus. Both of my Hopper3 receivers are using a different MAC address that what is displayed on the Hopper network diagnostics page. I have a Netgear Nighthawk router. Customer support at Dish could not explain what is happening. Someone at Dish has to know why their receivers are now using different MAC addresses.
I do not use a WiFi connection. The Living Room Hopper3 is hard wired to the router using the bottom port. The Family Room Hopper3 uses moca through the coax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t have the plus. Both of my Hopper3 receivers are using a different MAC address that what is displayed on the Hopper network diagnostics page. I have a Netgear Nighthawk router. Customer support at Dish could not explain what is happening. Someone at Dish has to know why their receivers are now using different MAC addresses.
I do not use a WiFi connection. The Living Room Hopper3 is hard wired to the router using the bottom port. The Family Room Hopper3 uses moca through the coax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hear ya. Somethings going on.

Both of my Hopper3 receivers are using a different MAC address that what is displayed on the Hopper network diagnostics page.
The MAC addresses should be different for each of the "ports". One or two for the RJ45 and one for the Wi-fi. In the unusual event that the Hopper 3 isn't the MoCA Master, I suppose there may also be an address associated with the MoCA connection.

While you can associate more than one IP address with a MAC, I don't think you can fake a MAC address.

In all of this discussion, is there something that isn't functioning as expected or is it just a matter of inexplicable MAC addresses?