House bill aims to curb indecent TV programs

LOTRingDings

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Downeast Maine
I haven't seen this here as yet.
Lawmakers introduced a bill on Thursday aimed at protecting children from indecent television programs by forcing cable and satellite providers to offer a modified form of la carte programming or make other changes in the way they operate.
Democratic Rep. Dan Lipinski of Illinois, and Republican Rep. Jeff Fortenberry of Nebraska introduced the measure.
Also supporting the legislation is Kevin Martin, chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, a longtime advocate of so-called a la carte programming which would allow parents more control over what their children watch.
A la carte programming would allow consumers to pay for the channels they wish to receive.
The bill would force cable and satellite television operators to comply with one of three options.
Companies could offer an "opt-out" a la carte option, requiring them to make refunds to consumers for unwanted channels in a programming package.
Under a second option, cable operators could create a package of child-friendly programs, news and sports that omits channels with more mature content.
The third option would be for cable companies to comply with the same rules that govern broadcasters, which are restricted from airing indecent material between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. Those restrictions do not now apply to cable or satellite services.

Full story:
House bill aims to curb indecent TV programs - Boston.com

Just the government wanting to be "nanny". The opt-out option is already in place, it's called "parental controls".

What are DBS providers going to do with multiple timezones and only one channel feed?

I wish the government would stay out of my house. Instead of doing all of this nonsense, how about licensing breeding? Or taking the reproductive organs of women who won't stop pumping out kids they can't afford to feed.

Nascar on TNT-HD review

Wiring new house - have questions LONG

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts