House Votes Against Delaying Switch to Digital TV

It will be a little difficult to put the champagne back into the bottle after popping the cork and serving it to everyone.

Congress just needs to call it a day on this one. Instead, the FCC and various other interested parties just need to work on a plan to get converter boxes to citizens who still need them after the big switch. There may actually be some marketing opportunities for electronics companies and/or TV networks to help distribute converter boxes to those in need.

Those who don't really need government assistance for a converter box may be more likely to just visit an electronics store in the days leading up to the switch and simply buy one.

Looks like the delay is back on again. This time when the bill goes to the house it will not need a 2/3 majority.

US Senate approves bill to delay digital TV | Reuters
If Pelosi still wants to "expedite" this bill, the same rules apply. The only way to pass this with a simple majority is to allow full debate AND amendments. Any amendments added would then send the bill to conference committee and need another vote in the House and Senate. However, the Dems in the House have the majorities needed to stifle all debate and vote down any amendments. So we will see what happens.

I think we have to resign ourselves to the fact that this WILL pass one way or another, even if they have to ignore all the other, much more critical issues in order to get it through in time. They will NOT let this go. Hey, the economy may still suck but at least we've kept analog TV alive for four more months...

If Pelosi still wants to "expedite" this bill, the same rules apply. The only way to pass this with a simple majority is to allow full debate AND amendments. Any amendments added would then send the bill to conference committee and need another vote in the House and Senate. However, the Dems in the House have the majorities needed to stifle all debate and vote down any amendments. So we will see what happens.

BINGO! But yes, she can strong arm it thru. Keep in mind, a few Dems voted against this stupidity also, so maybe some debate will occur. Just give us a few days debate and an amendment or two, and maybe we'll put a stake thru the heart of this baby yet.

But I suspect the die is cast against us.

The switch needs to be done and over with. No matter when they do it there will always be people that are not prepared.

I heard that WDAF-TV in Kansas City will shut down their analog signal February 17 regardless of Congressional action.

Two of my locals have stated that unless there is a Law that will prevent them, they will cut off the analog signal on February 17.

Under the previous bill and this bill the stations would not be required to keep their analog signal going, just allowed to if they wanted to. IMHO, especially in this economy and with advertising revenues down, what station would choose the added expense of keeping their analog signal going?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)