How do you feel about mascots in sports?

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
As a PTI watcher, one of the things that has annoyed is Wilbon's disdain for mascots (It's weird- Kornheiser gets blasted for his work on Monday Night Football, but on PTI, Wilbon's the one that annoys me, but that's for another story).

I have always enjoyed mascots in sports.

How do you feel about them?

skysurfer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 1, 2006
i like mascots in that they make the half inning break or halftime/tv timeout breaks better.

I hate them in that they distract from the game while the action is going on when you have all the kids screaming/attracting to the mascot who is walking around in the stands while you are trying to watch the action on the field/court.

SamCdbs

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
May 7, 2008
College football - An important part of the tradition of most schools.

College basketball - Nice extension of that tradition, providing the arena is set up in such a way as to allow them to get out of sightlines during play.

Pro football - Stupid.

Pro basketball - Reason #3478 why the NBA is all smoke and mirrors.

Pro baseball - sacreligious.

cosmo_kramer

Master of my Domain
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2005
41.605N, -72.879W
I have no problem with their antics during timeouts, between innings, etc., except when they affect the health of the players ;)

BTW, the caption of the video should probably read "Mariner Moose on ATV collides with Coco Crisp"

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jZe1hDIEHJM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jZe1hDIEHJM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

cybok0

SatelliteGuys Master
Oct 23, 2006
Sha Ka Ree.
For schools they are fine. For baseball, hockey and the NBA they are OK because they entertaine the kids and between innings, periods or a half.
Football on the other hand doesn't need them, but maybe because I hate the Steelers mascot.:p

Paul Wozniak

SatelliteGuys Master
Oct 26, 2005
Hamtramck,MI
For schools they are fine. For baseball, hockey and the NBA they are OK because they entertaine the kids and between innings, periods or a half.
Football on the other hand doesn't need them, but maybe because I hate the Steelers mascot.:p

Didn't they model him after Bill Cohwer?

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio

Attachments

• steelymcdui.jpg
    steelymcdui.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 151

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)