how does dish

patsfan72

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 21, 2008
western mass
how does dish network choose which area to offer local channels. i live in springfield ma and we have do not have the option for locals.every area surrounding us has locals available and in hd(even though i think southern vermont has boston locals,idk why but they do).the berkshires get the albany locals,northern and southern connecticut get the hartford/new haven locals,and worcester county gets the boston locals only. i have "moved" to albany for a while but now "live"in hartford,i would really just like to have my own area's locals.so how do they choose?

DISH dosen't choose your locals Neilson sets the DMA for cities and towns. DISH just provides access to the DMA you qualify for.

To answer the OP's question DISH determins which locals they will carry by "some" of the following:

Room on a spot beam & can they reach retrans agreements with the stations. I am sure they have other reasons also.

It's also a matter of revenue. A city of 500 people with only a 20% penetration of DISH network households means they would have to provide uplink and downlink management, etc. Realistically, many of the cities that aren't on DISH are simply too small to be worth the investment.

well i can buy the to small theory for some places,but i live in a metro area of around 800,000 that is adjacent to another area of around 1.2 million.while the area to the west of me barely has 200,000 and has their locals in HD. and if the good folks in the plains have their locals then the to small theory is blown out of the water.

well i can buy the to small theory for some places,but i live in a metro area of around 800,000 that is adjacent to another area of around 1.2 million.while the area to the west of me barely has 200,000 and has their locals in HD. and if the good folks in the plains have their locals then the to small theory is blown out of the water.

Most of those people in what you call your metro area actually are in another DMA. Your DMA is ranked #111 out of 210 and only has around 263,000 people. The area with 200k people may be part of another larger DMA.

Dish is squeezed for space on 61.5 for spotbeams. Maybe when E15 or Quetzsat-1 get there.

Another part of the problem maybe that there used to not be a Fox affiliate (and now it is on a subchannel). When Dish can only add a portion of the bid 4, they don't normally bother because locals are less of a selling point.

actually my dma has about 800,000 people in it. it covers all of western mass except the berkshires(which is covered under albany.)
until recently we did not have a fox affiliate but have now for a few years.but if that is case why not offer us the hartford or boston locals.if i lived in brattleboror VT i would get boston locals. i get everything OTA and have "moved to hartford" but would really just like to have my own locals offered so i didn't have to move.
300px-Springfield%2C_MA_Metropolitan_Area.png

moz-screenshot-2.jpg
moz-screenshot-3.jpg

actually my dma has about 800,000 people in it. it covers all of western mass except the berkshires(which is covered under albany.)
until recently we did not have a fox affiliate but have now for a few years.but if that is case why not offer us the hartford or boston locals.if i lived in brattleboror VT i would get boston locals. i get everything OTA and have "moved to hartford" but would really just like to have my own locals offered so i didn't have to move.
300px-Springfield%2C_MA_Metropolitan_Area.png

Tell that to Nielsen. That's right where I got 263,000. Remember, that's television households, not people; I misspoke a little. Bottom line is the market is in the second half of the pack, #111.

EKB: Dish Locals By Market Rank

http://floridaresearchgroup.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/2009-2010-dma-ranks-comparisons.pdf

Dish didn't offer Boston or Hartford locals because it is illegal for them to do so. Write your congressmen, not Dish. Dish is currently fighting for that very right, to import adjacent locals when one of the networks is missing.

But now I doubt they have space to add your locals for a bit.

Here's how it really works: The DBS providers are given a choice of a few years worth of DMA maps to choose from and they pick one. DIRECTV and DISH Network may or may not choose the same period. As the maps are broken down by county, the boundaries run by county with minimal regard for city or state boundaries.

Also possible... Dish can't come to a retransmission agreement with one or more of your local stations. It doesn't matter what DMA or how many are in that DMA... if that retrans agreement doesn't get done, nothing happens!

out of the top 150 dmas there are only 3 not available, welcome to the club :)

im in #144. our local affiliate says dish wont even talk to them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts