How good/bad are the 622/722/722K over the air tuners?

boba

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 12, 2003
Dorchester, TX.
I currently have a VIP 612 receiver OTA tuner works but a replaced 612 had a better OTA tuner than this one. I have found I can replace my 612 with one of the above DVRs and keep my bill the same. The 622 is older than my 612 so I expect the OTA tuner may be worse. The 722 is about the same generation as the 612 so it is probably as good but no better. The 722K requires an add on tuner so it is newer but because it internally splits the OTA signal reception may be worse. I am 60+ miles from the Dallas towers and get good signals on my Tivo and connected TVs.

I realize it is hard to compare tuners/receivers each person has different circumstances, wiring,distance from broadcasters, TV antenna used etc. What I would like to get is the feel others have about the DISH equipment? The only DISH OTA tuner I have thought impressive is the DTV PAL few other converters worked as well and it works better than most DISH DVR receivers.

Although I discontinued my DISH service, I still use the OTA tuner in my 722 (bought it when they first came out), it had a better tuner in it than my mythtv tuner and TV. I noticed that over the last couple years, the OTA tuner's sensitivity has gone down hill and it will lose the signal for a few seconds and on some stations, not bring in the channel during different types of atmospherics. When that happens, I switch to my internal (SONY - 2010) TV tuner or my WMC/HDhomeRun (20011) tuner and the signal is ok, but varying quite a bit. Since the 722 is essentially on all the time, the heat is most likely the cause.

The 622's OTA tuner isn't very good. My 722k hooked in place of the 622, maybe has a little better OTA tuner module. I even just bought (less than 1 month ago) and replaced the 722's OTA module with a brand new one, hoping the new one would be better. It wasn't. However neither the 622 or 722k will pick up stations and hold the OTA signal as well and as low as my LG smart tv does, with the exact same signal level from the external antenna. The LG tv and the 722k are on either side of a 2-way splitter, and sit about 1 foot apart from each other.

Looks like I lucked out got out bid on ebay. From the few replies it looks like I should stay away from any old DISH receivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)