New OTA bandscan tuners in New Mexico

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
I see KOAT in Albuquerque has a tuner at their studio location. It appears to be tuning a station in Arizona, 167 miles away. Can that be accurate? NM doesn't get much, if any, tropo activity.

IMG_2653.png

Last edited:
It looks like it was just a bad automatch based on the PSIP label and RF number. K36JX-D is a translator for KOAT, and KASY's NextGen RF 36 signal also has a KOAT

It looks like it was just a bad automatch based on the PSIP label and RF number. K36JX-D is a translator for KOAT, and KASY's NextGen RF 36 signal also has a KOAT

Is it possible that KOAT has a tuner on Sandia Crest capable of tuning (and keeping tabs on) its translator?

K36JX-D is not licensed for NextGen operations, so if there were a real report from it, it would have KOAT's lineup of 7.x channels and the ATSC 1.0 simulcast of 50.5 Antenna, not the 1xx.x lineup for KASY's NextGen lighthouse.

The only reports for K36JX-D have been mismatches from tuners 160 miles+ away in the Albuquerque area.

Trip can clarify, but I don't think the live bandscan has the ability to detect the BSID from ATSC 3.0 signals yet, so it's basically a guessing game based on RF and PSIP label as there is no TSID like there is for ATSC 1.0.

Having a reciever on Sandia Crest must have a good shielding from the heavy RF overload from nearby TX in order to receive K36JX-D!

It would be pretty much moot at this time there are bunch of mountain ranges to overcome to reach Sandia Crest antenna farm!

Cn, there are some tropo ducting in far Eastern New Mexico areas mostly in Clovis, Portales and Roswell can pick up Texas stations far east as Houston, mostly in summertime.

It's been a longtime I been to Portales for ENMU back in 1988, so things might have changed then! :cool: :hatsoff

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Back in the analog days there was a lot of Tropo in NM. In the summer channel 4 from El Paso was unwatchable many days in Las Cruces, just 40 miles away due to other channel 4s intruding. In Albuquerque, I remember watching an entire concert on channel 2 from San Francisco. Also in Las Cruces I remember getting FM from Alabama and Guadalajara with a pocket radio. Fun Times!

Back in the analog days there was a lot of Tropo in NM. In the summer channel 4 from El Paso was unwatchable many days in Las Cruces, just 40 miles away due to other channel 4s intruding. In Albuquerque, I remember watching an entire concert on channel 2 from San Francisco. Also in Las Cruces I remember getting FM from Alabama and Guadalajara with a pocket radio. Fun Times!
Tropo still exists in the digital world, same as always. Choose your area in the upper left corner, then click on the map to jump through UTC timelines. You have to convert the times to local time: https://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html

Last edited:
Reactions: N5XZS
Getting San Francisco TV stations like KTVU-TV, KRON-TV is not by tropo ducting, but it's by E-skips on VHF -Low band 54 to 88 MHz!

Much similar to shortwave radio propagation E-skips or F2 and TEP layers. ;) :hatsoff

Indeed, my memories of the phenomena are all low VHF and FM. The channel 4 mentioned above (now known as KDBC) had been urged by residents of Southern New Mexico to try and move to channel 11 which was licensed to Juarez, Mexico but unused at that time. Even cable companies in Lordsburg and Deming could not pick up a ususabe signal many days. However, Juarez did eventually use the 11 allotment.