Ota Dvr

stardust3

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2006
Hello everyone, it has been awhile since I've been on the site.
I noticed there was a few old threads regarding this but of course tech changes.
What is the latest ota dvr out there that works reasonably well?

Hello everyone, it has been awhile since I've been on the site.
I noticed there was a few old threads regarding this but of course tech changes.
What is the latest ota dvr out there that works reasonably well?
New Tablo just came out-

The issue with Tablo is that it transcodes the video into a lossy format.
The new Tablo only transcodes if you use its internal storage. If you connect external USB storage, it will save recordings there in the original MPEG-2 format that it receives via the antenna. It's a pretty smart trade-off, IMO. Some folks won't care too much about picture quality and just want an inexpensive device that immediately works out of the box. Folks like you who care can spend a little more and connect a hard drive.

The new Tablo only transcodes if you use its internal storage. If you connect external USB storage, it will save recordings there in the original MPEG-2 format that it receives via the antenna. It's a pretty smart trade-off, IMO. Some folks won't care too much about picture quality and just want an inexpensive device that immediately works out of the box. Folks like you who care can spend a little more and connect a hard drive.

But does it stream video to other devices in the original video format?

Reactions: FTA4PA and jorgek
But does it stream video to other devices in the original video format?
I don't see any language on their site that specifically speaks to that question. It does say "Recordings saved to external hard drives are stored in full, uncompressed quality." This device cannot connect directly to a TV (i.e. no HDMI port). The only way its recordings can be watched is to stream them over the home network to the new Tablo app on a compatible smart TV/streamer. So I can't see what the point would be to store recordings in their original "uncompressed quality" only for the Tablo to then just compress the recording on its way out onto the home network. That would make no sense. So I think we can pretty safely assume that, yes, the new Tablo does stream recordings out to other devices in the original MPEG-2.

And I *think* I read that all live OTA TV is pumped out by this device in the original MPEG-2, i.e. it does not do on-the-fly transcoding. I think transcoding of recordings is only performed at some time shortly after the recording finishes on the internal drive (although not 100% sure on that).

I've got one of the old Tablo Quad units. It's been working fine but I'm not happy on how they've changed since they were purchased by Scripts. The used to have a feature that would, for an extra charge, automatically skip commercials, which mostly worked. They've removed that as a feature that people can, don't know how long grandfathered folks will keep it. With their new platform they've removed the capability of remotely viewing content from your Table, can only use it within your home network.

Recordings to the internal drive whether OTA or streamed are saved as MPEG4 to conserve space. Saving to an external drive will be MPEG 2 for OTA only. Streamed material will still be saved as MPEG 4.

Since the digital transition in 2009 I have tried Tivo, Tablo and the Dishnetwork's OTA module. The major concern I have had is getting correct guide data matched to the correct real RF channel.
With the switching of frequencies going on now due to ATSC 3.0 that must be even worse.
The schedule was off by 1, 2 or 3 hours for many of the digits. I believe that is due to guide providers not knowing which feed the local station is using or which time zone I am in.
Honestly, I have just given up.

Since the digital transition in 2009 I have tried Tivo, Tablo and the Dishnetwork's OTA module. The major concern I have had is getting correct guide data matched to the correct real RF channel.
With the switching of frequencies going on now due to ATSC 3.0 that must be even worse.
The schedule was off by 1, 2 or 3 hours for many of the digits. I believe that is due to guide providers not knowing which feed the local station is using or which time zone I am in.
Honestly, I have just given up.
The OTA data has been terrible for years. Out here on the Oregon Coast, only one unit gives me most of the guides. It is the old Amazon Recast. We have 36 OTA offerings. I get good guides on 34. The only two missing are METV & METV+. I gave up on trying to get the guides and just added Frndly TV to my streaming. Gives me 2 week guides for all of the Weigel channels (H&I, Story TV, Start, Catchy, Movies, METV & METV+.)The old Dish 211k receiver has very few guides, and the old Tablo is missing 6 channel guides.

So far here in southern Ontario/ Niagara regions the guide is spot on except for 1 OTA station, TV Ont. Connected a SSD 500mghz external USB drive. Recordings and playback are flawless. No buffering or stutters.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Rescanned the Tablo and downloaded an additional 17 fast channels. Now have a total of 110 channels of which 44 are OTA.
In my previous post the SSD is 500GB rather than 500mghz.

This has been a helpful thread. I ordered a Tablo unit and am looking forward to setting it up. I'm all wired here for ethernet and have an extra external hdd so this should be a pretty easy setup.
I'm making some changes & to be honest I'm tired of paying for things I simply do not use anymore. This setup is definitely going to be a step in the right direction for me.

This has been a helpful thread. I ordered a Tablo unit and am looking forward to setting it up. I'm all wired here for ethernet and have an extra external hdd so this should be a pretty easy setup.
I'm making some changes & to be honest I'm tired of paying for things I simply do not use anymore. This setup is definitely going to be a step in the right direction for me.
Future Cord Cutter?

If so, welcome to the dark side.