How many have worked a 622 deal already?

Well here is something to think about. Dish won't be selling many of thier Hd bronze/silver/gold/plat packs if there aren't many people with an mpeg4 hd receiver. So they won't be able to sell the new hd packs to anyone unless they do the channels in mpeg2 and then let them transition to the mpeg 4 receivers later. It wouldn't make that much sense to offer hd progamming packs to only new customers and a few that have the 211 receivers. Dish needs to recoup the cost on the new Voom channels and Universal etc, they won't do it by upgrading only a few customers slowly at a time. Dish won't be able to do many hd enabling fees either unless they get the mpeg4 receivers out there in a hurry.

I would hope that since there are no real mpeg4 channels yet , they could do them in mpeg2 and then by say June only broadcast them to people who have mpeg4 hd receivers. This would give everyone sufficient time to upgrade for existing customers and would give Dish sufficient time to get the new hd receivers out there to the public in terms of production .

For once Dish do the Right Thing for your existing customers.

That doesn't do me any good. after all this time waiting for the Dish 1000 to
come out I find it isn't available in my area. Wife isn't thrilled about having
another satellite dish she already hates the antenna on the roof. Thinking I
could talk here in to it I was ready to go with the VIP211(upgrade my 6000)
now I find I can only upgrade 1 receiver and I want to upgrade my 921 also
for a VIP622 and I have to wait till April 1 and who knows if one will be available
at that time!:(

There are real MPEG4 channels up (i.e. HD Locals) and I am told by a contact that they look like CRAP still.

MPEG4 still has a long way to go.

Lucky said:
I have been saying this for weeks.

I've also posted it many times as have others.

My gut feeling here is that "E" HAS noticed these posts and they may have a lot to do with what actually happens Feb 1st.

I suggest a poll showing how many subs think "E" should release the new HD channels on Feb1st to existing MPEG2 receivers for a reasonable amount of time to allow subs that want to upgrade to a 211 or 622 a fair chance to do so.

When "E" has enough receivers available and subs still choose not to upgrade, then they've at least had a fair chance and "E" would then certainly be entitled to revert back to the original plan.

Either:

Give any who wants a 211 the 622 the ability to have one when the new channels light up

OR:

Let us all limp along with mpeg2 (visible to all who subscribe with mpeg2 receivers) and announce that they are on a provisional "sneak preview" basis only and that they will go mpeg4 only in 3-6 months or whenever your equipment is ready and the encoding works.

Why is this so hard to figure out? Charlie's assertion that we would be more mad if we had the channels and then lost them is dead wrong. we'll be more mad if they are out there, we want to pay to see them, and he REFUSES to let us do so since he can't ship us the new receivers.....

I'm gonna swap my 4900 for a 622 for $299 as soon as I can.........

Brewer4 said:
Holy run on paragraphs Batman. Welcome to the forum sker66.

Thanks. I don't know why my post didn't show my paragraph breaks. They were there when I typed it. I guess me and technology don't get along so well lately :)

sker66

What is that HD enabling fee all about? Is this in ADDITION to the mirroring fee or is it just a higher mirroring fee (presumably to cover the MPEG4 license fee)? Would lease customers just pay the $6.00 for the receiver then whatever it is for programming? If that is all it is it seems reasonable enough. High, but at least reasonable. :)

The provisional "Sneak peak" is a great idea. Isn't that similar to what they do for new subscribers? They give you premium programming free for several months, and then start to charge you if you don't cancel. The difference would be, you have to upgrade your receiver and subscribe to the new plan to keep it.

In case anyone at E* gives a rats @$$, I'll toss a little more love (yet again) on the "sneak preview" idea for existing MPEG2 receivers...

ESPECIALLY SINCE THE CHANNELS ARE IN MPEG2 ANYWAYS!!!!!

...but i digress.

This fee makes absolutlely no sense to me. If the E* plan is to move towards MPEG4 technology I would guess the 211/411 will be the base receivers. I can not see the majority of people that will become new customers and have no HDTV being williing to pay this fee. If you have no HDTV why would you want to pay this fee??? Are they still planning on giving new customers MPEG2 SD receivers, that in time have to be upgraded anyway??? That makes no business sense.

I have an HDTV but if I didn't and they tried to shove this fee down my throat there is no way on earth that I would pay it. They would either have to waive it for SD customers, or most will head somewhere else.

BrianMis said:
It the fee you pay if you subscribe to nothing but HD, i.e. having HD programming without subscribing to anything else.

No that isn't it. The enabling fee allows your ViP receiver to receive HD Channels OTA or HBO-HD and Showtime-HD if you don't subscribe and pay for the HD pack.

Charlie is not in the business of subsidizing the lazy Consumer Electronics industry.

DVDDAD said:
No that isn't it. The enabling fee allows your ViP receiver to receive HD Channels OTA or HBO-HD and Showtime-HD if you don't subscribe and pay for the HD pack.

Exactly. Charlie has been very clear for many years (from the start of the DishHD promotions including the TV sets) that they do not plan on subsidizing the electronics industry who still refuses to provide OTA tuners in most HD capable sets despite the nearly zero cost at this point. The tuners and TVs are only intended for people who want to BUY HD DELIVERY from Dish network.

It is very frustrating to see the few number of HD sets out there that only tune NTSC, considering the switch that is supposed to be mandated. Of course, the cable companies like this because it makes people rent an HD box (and then they come hook it up with SVideo anyway...).

If you want HD locals OTA without paying the fee, get a non-HD receiver and buy your own OTA tuner or TV that tunes HD.

Or pay the fee or subscribe to a package that qualifies.

While I don't enjoy paying extra fees, I can see why Dish is doing it and I don't disagree with it.

So, in response to this thread, I wrote an email to the CEO@dishnetwork address last night and promptly received a call back from someone in the executive office. I politely explined my concerns and was amazed at the complete "f**k YOU" that I got from the CSR. He argued with me, cut me off and even told me that I was unreasonable and should subscrive to DirecTV. That sure is one hell of a response! If anybody knows of another email address that I can write to in order to discuss this CSR with anyone who actually has some power at Dish, I would sincerely appreciate a PM with that email address...

Thanks... boy am I pissed off.

DISH NETWORK: The most horrible cust service ever!!!

Price increases higher than they appear

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)