How many SatelliteGuys live in a Rural setting?

Would gladly leave the burbs to get into the countryside if I could do it right now but Im in a suburb of detroit for now.

We live in rural central Wisconsin on 20 acres. It's on the highest land in the township and has a clear shot at the D* satellites as well as the "local" OTA towers 56 miles away and get great signals from both. Been here for 11 years. Would never move back to the city with it's congestion and housing built one on top of or within a few feet of each other. We do drive the 60 miles to the city for our medical care but that's about it.

We moved 5 miles South of the the local City when I was 4, other than about 6 months when I was 7 when we moved to Oregon I have not lived in the City limits... I bought land about 6 miles out in 1977 and soon moved...I am still about 5 miles out, no way I would ever live in town.... ( town is only about 27,000 population but still...)

I live in a city, I guess, a little over 7000 people, but within 500 feet of me there is a farmers field. The closest bigger city is 7-12 miles away and the next closest town is about 4 miles away, so to me anyway I live in the country. Of course I grew up just South of Minneapolis so Country to me may not be Country to you! :)

Lived in the burbs of MD growing up till my Army days. Vietnam, Alaska,(Aleutian Islands, very burb).
Burbs of MA. and Virginia. Post Army, burbs of Colorado Springs and Tampa till I moved back to MD, in the Burbs 1/2 way between Balt. and DC. Moving ASAP Back to Colorado hopfuly to the Castle Rock, Sedalia area to retire for good.---Ray

I live on the california coast halfway between San Francisco and Los Angeles, in a town of about 8,000. So I guess that would be considered a rural setting.

skidog said:
I live in a city, I guess, a little over 7000 people, but within 500 feet of me there is a farmers field. The closest bigger city is 7-12 miles away and the next closest town is about 4 miles away, so to me anyway I live in the country. Of course I grew up just South of Minneapolis so Country to me may not be Country to you! :)

skidog
If you're where your location says you are, you're ouside the burbs :)
(I'm just outside of Shakopee)

Im setting plans in motion to be out of the detroit michigan area and move to montana next year, there are only 3 or 4 large cities and the rest are towns and villages and a cross road or two. Dish utilizes an rsp there but also has remote techs that work directly for the company, Im hoping to get into the great falls area.

Way out in the boonies in rural upper michigan. If using a OTR antenna can get one or two stations. Sat is the only way to go. That is the only way for high speed internet also unless the BPL (Broadband over PowerLine) gets going at some point. ;)

I live in the country and love it. I would never want to live in a big city. If I had to I might live in a small city or suburbs.

I live in Jensen Beach, FL. It is not the city, but then there isn't so much of a city anywhere around here. We never say, let's go into the city. If we were to go to West Palm Beach, that would feel like I was going to the city. WPB is about 40 miles from here.

I need to go feed the hogs now.. See ya.. :) Joe

Flovilla, GA city limits

Derwin0 said:
grew up within the Flovilla, GA city limits. But Flovilla had a population of 200, so I'd say it was rural :D
So Derwin0,
Don't you miss that dilicious water from the springs just south of Flovilla. Although it's actually good for you in a healthy sort of way, you might think you were in "another country" instead of the country. You know the Spaniards thought it was the other end of the "Fountain of Youth" that they found in down St. Augustine, Fla. But, you definitely got to miss the "Fresh Air Bar-B-Q". You can't find any like it up north.
Back on subject. The first third of my life (18 years) was in the confines of the Corporation known as Macon, Ga. Since my escape, I've been quite happy and most peaceful. At least until I return 5 days a week for 9 hours. Next year, they are closing my factory. I'll be so happy, I may never go back to the city.

Al

voomvoom said:
So Derwin0,
Don't you miss that dilicious water from the springs just south of Flovilla. Although it's actually good for you in a healthy sort of way, you might think you were in "another country" instead of the country. You know the Spaniards thought it was the other end of the "Fountain of Youth" that they found in down St. Augustine, Fla. But, you definitely got to miss the "Fresh Air Bar-B-Q". You can't find any like it up north.
ah... Indian Springs, 5 miles from my dad's house (right off of GA-87). Personally I hated the water from the spring, too sulfur smelling.
Fresh Air BBQ, my mother's former step-father, Marvin, owns it now. BBQ was always too vinegry for me, but the Brunswick Stew was awesome though.
good ole memories of youth. At least the growth from Atlanta hasn't reached southern Butts County yet (affectionaly known as "The Crack of Georgia") :D

But Fresh Air is a chain now. 1 in Macon, and 2 in Athens (my high school buddy, Chris (former owner's grandson) opened up the ones in Athens). Maybe I can talk him into opening one up here. ;)

Live in the Cascade foothills East of Salem. 80 miles from the Portland towers, 5000' mountains on three sides, No OTA.

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)