How much is the Hopper upgrade costing you?

I totally agree. However, when one customer has a much higher return rate than the average, then Dish also has the right to suspect that customer (maybe not giving the equipment enough ventilation, for example).

Realy?????? I sure hope not!!! Would ot surprise me, but hey whatever.

Human nature/business risk assessment...if you kept lending your power tools to a couple neighbors and one of those neighbors kept returning them to you with problems (moreso than the other neighbor), wouldn't you be less willing to let him borrow anything else?

Was referring to the assumption that someone isn't ventilating the reciever properly. The dumbass tech should have made surely if that before he left.

Sent From My Galaxy Note.

Well, it really wasn't an assumption, just an example showing that user environment can have an effect on the longevity/reliability of the equipment.

I got a very nice call from someone in corporate. Long story short he more or less said i was a great customer, my account was in good standings and apologized for the run around I've gotten. I'm scheduled for a Saturday install, we'll see what I actually get charged. Crossing my fingers. Hopefully some of you other people being treated unfairly get similar phone calls or emails.

I got a very nice call from someone in corporate. Long story short he more or less said i was a great customer, my account was in good standings and apologized for the run around I've gotten. I'm scheduled for a Saturday install, we'll see what I actually get charged. Crossing my fingers. Hopefully some of you other people being treated unfairly get similar phone calls or emails.

Were you quoted the "going rate" for upgrades mentioned around here??

No one from corporate is going to call me. I don't care at this point. I'm waiting for OTA integration anyway. :) Besides, like I said in another post, this has given my wife and I a good opportunity to adjust our programming to something that is cheaper that still fits our needs.

Glad to see DISH doing the right this with at least one of our poorly treated SatGuys brethren. Hope this bodes well for some of the others. Good luck with your install!!

I also got a similar call and PM. They have flagged my account so that when I do upgrade after the ota module is released I won't be charge the cost I was originally quoted. I replied to both the PM and phone call that I hoped they would look into all accounts of people who had been hit with similar quotes.

I also got a similar call and PM. They have flagged my account so that when I do upgrade after the ota module is released I won't be charge the cost I was originally quoted. I replied to both the PM and phone call that I hoped they would look into all accounts of people who had been hit with similar quotes.

Ditto. Hopefully it helps others.

Didn't they specify what the cost will be in the phone call? If so, I would have asked them for an email confirmation to get something in writing.

I didn't want to brag but I was told it would be free. I was driving at the time and asked the guy to send me an email with the info and his contact info. Never received anything, but I just called and my account is noted, phew.

Hopefully they continue to make good with other customers.

Last edited:
I didn't want to brag but I was told it would be free. I was driving at the time and asked the guy to send me an email with the info and his contact info. Never received anything, but I just called and my account is noted, phew.

Hopefully they continue to make good with other customers.

Did they tell you it was free because of what you went through or do you know if there is some customer status level that actually qualifies for free?

Congrats to both of you!

Like I said I'm not looking at corporate calling or DIRT pm'ing me about qualifying for an upgrade. Glad to see you guys are getting them.

Sucks that it took this to get it done.

I will say this - the hopper so far is totally worth all the hassle and drama. Especially upgrading from 722/211 setup. Its gorgeous and lightning fast.

Hopefully some of you get phone calls from the same people I did. I'm sure the DIRT people are awesome but two of them never even bothered to reply to my messages. Good luck to you all!!

Hi Mike, Thank you for starting this thread. I have learned a lot about Dish Network. I switched to Dish about 6 months ago after being with "those other guys" for 12 years. I wasn't expecting a Hopper and Joey set up to be cheap but I was quoted $400 for 1H + 2J, which is out of my budget. I thought it was because I haven't been with Dish long since in every other area I should qualify: on auto pay, never late, have the America's Everything package plus all premium movie channel package, decent credit (mid 700s). So I thought it was the length of time issue until my neighbor, who ordered Dish a month AFTER I did got the $99 deal for 1H and 2J system. So now don't know what I did to get on Dish's red headed stepchild list.:eek: So now I am just stuck without the Hopper when I wanted it so badly. I guess my real problem is that I switched too soon or maybe that I switched at all (I am having a little switcher's remorse ha ha). If only I had waited 6 more months... :(

Last edited:
Hi Mike, Thank you for starting this thread. I have learned a lot about Dish Network. I switched to Dish about 6 months ago after being with "those other guys" for 12 years. I wasn't expecting a Hopper and Joey set up to be cheap but I was quoted $400 for 1H + 2J, which is out of my budget. I thought it was because I haven't been with Dish long since in every other area I should qualify: on auto pay, never late, have the America's Everything package plus all premium movie channel package, decent credit (mid 700s). So I thought it was the length of time issue until my neighbor, who ordered Dish a month AFTER I did got the $99 deal for 1H and 2J system. So now don't know what I did to get on Dish's red headed stepchild list.:eek: So now I am just stuck without the Hopper when I wanted it so badly. I guess my real problem is that I switched too soon or maybe that I switched at all (I am having a little switcher's remorse ha ha). If only I had waited 6 more months... :(

Just received an email from the executive office of Dish and they were able to get me set up with a 1H+ 2J system for $99. Thank you everyone for sharing your information and personal situation. It really helped me. I am very happy that Dish took the time to call and work this out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)