How often does DN call to verify?

Presto

Original poster
Oct 29, 2009
Rainy NW woods
I'm a newbie Dish subscriber, converted from DirectTV. I have a couple of 501's purchased privately and everything was fine for a couple of months. Nothing is hooked up to a phone line, we're out in the sticks and we have a sometimes on / sometimes off shared RF phone link down the mountain. Dish said they were fine with that, and got us subscribed and running, and we didn't need to have anything hooked up to a phone line 24/7.

Now twice in a week Dish is calling and keeps wanting us to read the R00 # off the receiver and "Location ID" on the info/status screen. I asked the CSR why (excuse me..."Receiver Verification Agent") and they say they are manually checking everyone with multiple receivers that aren't on a phone line, to make sure the receivers are in one location.

OK, I get it, but twice in a week? Do they go away and leave us alone at some point? Our bill is paid in full, and the receivers work fine.

I've been checked once, over a year ago. I've been a customer with dish since 1999. Probably whoever checked you the first time didn't enter it into the computer that you had passed.

Do you always have the same phone number? You mentioned some sort of shared RF link? But, that should not be a problem if your receivers are not hooked up to a phone line. If they were perhaps they kept getting different phone numbers from the shared pool?

Do you always have the same phone number? You mentioned some sort of shared RF link? But, that should not be a problem if your receivers are not hooked up to a phone line. If they were perhaps they kept getting different phone numbers from the shared pool?
The OP said nothing was hooked up to a phone line.

Sounds like the first time they called either you didn't provide them the information, or the Audit person at Dish forgot to enter in that you were verified.

Well, I just got off the phone from call #4. Apparently what happened is one of the receivers I purchased from Craigslist is from a user whose account is now under investigation for fraud. At the time I bought it from the guy, I had called Dish and the receiver wasn't leased, had no balance or anything and it was fine to purchase. But since then this guy has started doing a little "sub sharing" business, and so every receiver he has ever owned is now flagged as "suspicious" even though I don't have anything to do with it.

So now they told me I either have to dump this one receiver or hook up phone lines. My phone link isn't always "up", but it WILL show up as the same phone number at the other end, so I guess that's what I'll have to do.

What a pain in the patootie..

Its too late bud. Your account is now flagged as well and any receiver you put onto your account will also be flagged. Any receiver you sell that is on your account to someone else will have their account tagged as well. I found out the hard way myself having the same issue. The only way out of it is to cancel your account and sell off the receivers that were on your account and get a different set of receivers than the ones you have with a new name and address and phone number or switch back to Directv or deal with Dish Network nazi's forever (unless you plug in a phone line). This is the way Dish Network does things. Since your phone line is not always up then you might want to try "dialing out" in the diagnostics screen (MENU, 6, 3).

I just got off the phone call with the Audit Department. I told them I was going to drop the account altogether if they didn't stop calling, and here is the Location ID one more time from the receivers.

I explained that if there is one more call about this I was just going to stop everything. I'm not on any promo plan, and I don't need TV that bad, and I'm not going to keep the phone-radio patch turned on just so the receivers can dial out at random times.

So I got my account un-flagged, at least for now, and they are going to send me a replacement 501 receiver - and in return I just have to ship them back this problem unit. Shipping cost is on them.

But man what a bunch of Nazi's is right. I'm really am ready to drop the account if they call again. Very disappointed in their attitude.

I'm sorry that you had these problems However, they are going to ship you a replacement 501 on their dime. I don't know the tone of their conversations with you or your tone either for that matter, but it seems to me that they are trying to work with you. I hope this works out for you.

Yes, I tried to be as polite as possible, but it was beginning to wear me down. We'll see how many more times they will call.

Their tone is definitely NOT polite when they call, like I'm guilty until proven innocent. But I jumped thru all their hoops each time, and gave them what they were looking for. But no more. It ain't worth it.

"guilty until proven innocent"

You got that right. My service was shut off several years ago. I have never done boxsharing or anything illegal, but they did it ONLY because one of my receivers was not connected to phoneline. I had four receivers that time. I was very disapointed then and after I fixed phone problem I have not hear from Natzies again. Adding four or more receivers to you account will be a red flag to audit team.

Multiple DVRs/Receivers+Phoneline Connections

"guilty until proven innocent"

You got that right. My service was shut off several years ago. I have never done boxsharing or anything illegal, but they did it ONLY because one of my receivers was not connected to phoneline. I had four receivers that time. I was very disapointed then and after I fixed phone problem I have not hear from Natzies again. Adding four or more receivers to you account will be a red flag to audit team.

I own 4 DVRs(722,722,622,622) and one Receiver(211k). The 211k is located in my farm workshop which has no phoneline connection. I purchased the 211k after being assured by DISH that it would not need to be connected to a phoneline since it had a single tuner and was not a DVR. I do not understand their rationale, but I have never received a call from DISH and I have been a customer for 10 years and I have owned the all of the above-mentioned equipment for at least 2 years.

If they did this to me being legit, I would just tell them that I was either going to switch to D* or Comcast(if possible). I wonder what they would say then? What can they do to you if you are no longer with E*(they don't have that much power)

If they did this to me being legit, I would just tell them that I was either going to switch to D* or Comcast(if possible). I wonder what they would say then?

They would say goodbye because they don't care if you leave for some other provider.

If you have all VIP units, you can set them up to talk to eachother over the power lines. If you get them talking over the power lines, only one of them needs to be connected to the phone or internet. Then the others will all talk through the one to check in with Dish and validate that you have all the receivers in the same house.

The main reason 4 is the trigger is that most of Dish customers have 3 or fewer TVs. 4 could mean that you "lent" a box to someone else. If all your recievers are sharing a phone/internet connection Dish will leave you alone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts