Brewer4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 12, 2005
Hartford Connecticut
Per Earl at DBSTalk.Com

CE's: How to enable DIRECTV on Demand
Well... you have asked... you have predicted...
Some of you were wrong, some of you were right.

The HR20-700 0x190 introduces DIRECTV on Demand to the CE program.

And how else would you expect it to be activated: a Keyword search and the Misc. Option menu.

----

Keyword Search: IWANTMYVOD

Front Panel: Menu & Info

Displays the updated screen: Misc. Option Screen

Tip: remember to select OK on the Misc. Option Screen.
Tip #2: remember to check your channel filters
Tip #3: If after an hour or so, nothing enables... try a reboot.

-----

After enabling the option, some features may not fully enable immediately.
Remote Booking will not be automatically enabled by this procedure, that feature/option will be enabled over the next few weeks.

Somethings to note:
  • If it doesn't work after a few hours, it might not be you or the HR20. There is another component to DIRECTV on Demand that has to be activated on DIRECTV's side. And we will be working with DirecTV to resolve those issues...
  • If you don't have your HR20 network, then it won't be available to you.
  • Report, Report, Report, any and all issues and comments. Details, details, details.
  • At a minimum we will have two additional threads: VOD Issues, VOD Recommendations be sure to post in the appropriate treads, and if you think a new one is needed feel free to start one.

Enjoy...

Also: Even if you don't have a network connection... I highly recommend you at least do the search, and enable the VOD option.... that way it will give more testing feedback on the CE as a whole, even for those that don't want to use VOD... but the components are there...

To get some ideas on how it all works... check out the First Look: DirecTV On Demand

Here are some screen shots with more to follow.

Attachments

• VOD1.jpg
    VOD1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 809
  • VOD2.jpg
    VOD2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 684
Over at DBSTalk, there is a 20+ page thread accounting everyone's frustration of not getting it working. It does appear that there was an error/issue on D*'s end that prevented some properly prepared CE'ers to have the VOD working. And just as "odd" was that some people who were not fully prepared (networked, etc) DID get the VOD. So something happened upstream that dorked most of us.

Over at DBSTalk, there is a 20+ page thread accounting everyone's frustration of not getting it working. It does appear that there was an error/issue on D*'s end that prevented some properly prepared CE'ers to have the VOD working. And just as "odd" was that some people who were not fully prepared (networked, etc) DID get the VOD. So something happened upstream that dorked most of us.

Whats scary is no one knows exactly what the problem is and the corrective action. If it was easy and Directv was properly performing the CE action, it would be corrected by now. No ETA at this point. New technology so to be expected but a bit of a bummer for the ones looking on the outside. :(

I don't see why they can't include the HR20-100 users also. The software couldn't be that different.

I don't see why they can't include the HR20-100 users also. The software couldn't be that different.

Its not. The CE release for the -100 was the previous one for the -700. Its the new x190 thats special that has the VOD in it. I expect to see love for the -100 next release. My guess is not this week after the VOD activation fiasco on Directv's side.

Guide data downloading!!

I was watching the weather and a pop-up screen came on saying guide data was downloading. I checked and I now have the VOD channels in the 1000s.

I'll report back when I get a chance and have more info

If they use a BitTorrent type protocol for the downloading then, the more users there are the more likely other people are downloading the same content...then the faster the download would be for those people. Plus, people who have downloaded the content, would be seeds for newer downloaders.

If they're not using BT, then the slower their servers will get.

They can throw lots of servers at the problem, increase their bandwidth, have "caches" geographically dispersed...but BitTorrent would seem like the way to go.

The negative of BT, from the users point of view is that upload bandwidth would be being used more...and that's generally the smaller "pipe" too.

I'm stuck.
I would be eligible at the same price for 3.0 if it was available.

That sucks. I cant get DSL where I am due to distance even though I had it when it was SBC. Now that AT&T is in charge, they are refusing to activate it even though I had it 2 years ago. I like the cable but its a lot more expensive then DSL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts