How to combine Off-Air local HD signals + 722k Tuner2 to TV2?

jdad11

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 12, 2011
US
My TV2 (in bedroom) is a HDTV with a single ATSC tuner. I would also like to view local High Def using rabbit year and be able watch the modulated (going thru cable channel 60) standard def signal from TV2 output from my 722k (in primary living room).

How do I do that with only a single tuner on my TV?

You need a splitter that connects your antenna and the Dish TV2 feed into the coaxial input. It works as I and many others here do just what you want to do.

When you want to watch Dish-provided TV, turn your TV to channel 60. When you want to watch OTA, just change to the OTA channels.

You need a splitter that connects your antenna and the Dish TV2 feed into the coaxial input. It works as I and many others here do just what you want to do.

When you want to watch Dish-provided TV, turn your TV to channel 60. When you want to watch OTA, just change to the OTA channels.

Just a regular splitter will work? I got one of this from Walmart.

splitter.jpg

So, instead of splitting.. it combines?

YMMV...I had a high-quality splitter used as a combiner and it worked well for me for a few weeks until one day the TV2 modulated output on ch60 was all fuzzy. I disconnected the coax from the OTA antenna and the fuzziness went away. So obviously there was some kind of interference from one of the OTA channels, which probably could have been resolved if I had played around with different TV2 output channels, but I didn't bother.

dare2be said:
YMMV...I had a high-quality splitter used as a combiner and it worked well for me for a few weeks until one day the TV2 modulated output on ch60 was all fuzzy. I disconnected the coax from the OTA antenna and the fuzziness went away. So obviously there was some kind of interference from one of the OTA channels, which probably could have been resolved if I had played around with different TV2 output channels, but I didn't bother.

It's possible one of your locals was on a channel close to your dish tv2 output. Make sure to modulate tv2 to a channel where there are no locals within 2 channels up or down from your tv2 channel. Also be sure to use a good quality splitter. The cheap Walmart ones might work for awhile, but will fail eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I use channel 35 for the TV2 output. Didn't mention that as I wanted to get the hard-wired part taken care of first...

It's possible one of your locals was on a channel close to your dish tv2 output. Make sure to modulate tv2 to a channel where there are no locals within 2 channels up or down from your tv2 channel. Also be sure to use a good quality splitter. The cheap Walmart ones might work for awhile, but will fail eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
Yes, I used a high frequency splitter I got from Lowe's. The only problem with your suggestion of being sure the modulated channel is at least 2 channels away from any of your digital locals is that many of the OTA ATSC channels numbers are only virtual channels, and the physical frequencies can be quite different (ie, channel 7.1 could be a virtual remap of physical channel 35). If you are willing to hunt and peck for a workable channel, or check with a website like rabbitears.info, you'll see that depending on which market you are in, the physical channel frequencies in use can be rather crowded, so that's why I added my YMMV disclaimer.

Why mess with a switch. at least a mechanical one, that requires you to get up and push the buttons back and forth ? :D If you're talking about a "smart" switch.... actually, I can't see how that would work. Don't they sense a signal and then switch to the "live" input ? On OTA, it will always be live.

A splitter is $5 tops

If you choose OTA channels above 60 then there should be no OTA signals.
This may change when the FCC reallocates these frequencies.
I have show a diagram elsewhere for 2 722s and OTA and DVD to local and remote sets.
It used splitter/combiners and one 4-way 10dB amp to feed out both dual outs of the 722s.
You might be radiating low levels to nearby neighbors.
-Ken

Any antenna, indoor or outdoor, with an amplifier would likely not give much radiation. Without the buffer, it could spew signal but that would be rather low level so only if the neighbors are on the same roof or line of sight would there be a problem. Added only for completeness.

-Ken

722K rewind bug

DISH Announces Earnings

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)