How to receivers work?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jkh1978

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
I know I need a line from each tuner to the satellite. I have 2 D10, 1 R10 with only one line, and 1 HR20 with two lines. The installer said it was impossible to run a second line to the R10. He said that there were two lines in the wall, one going north for the kitchen tv, and one going south to the tivo. He said I could disconnect the kitchen to get two to the tivo, but was impossible to bring a third line in.

I'd fed up with directv trying to get a decent installer out. See any of my other posts.

Here's the question... we only use the kitchen receiver when we are cooking. Later at night, we may use the tivo to watch tv. Rarely are both in use. Could I put a splitter (not a multiswitch) in, and if I only have one receiver on, get that one tuner to work correctly? I know splitters do not work like for a cable system, but would it work if only one receiver is on?

Allows us to record two shows at once when we are away...

Any advice for me to get the extra line ran? Because its the living room, I do not want the cable to snake around the room; I want it in the same jack as the first line is in. I asked if the cable could go from the dish, through the attic, and down the walls, but he said it cannot happen since there is the bedroom floor inbetween. (three story townhouse).

Any advice for me to get the extra line ran? Because its the living room, I do not want the cable to snake around the room; I want it in the same jack as the first line is in.

I asked if the cable could go from the dish, through the attic, and down the walls, but he said it cannot happen since there is the bedroom floor inbetween. (three story townhouse).

Sound about right, unless you have a way to dril a big enough hole in the plate between floors and a way to get the cable thru it after you get it drilled.

you need to find somebody who has a flex bit long enough to go thru from the attic and then thru the bedroom floor. were these wires preran when the house was built?

you need to find somebody who has a flex bit long enough to go thru from the attic and then thru the bedroom floor. were these wires preran when the house was built?

You mean your going to trust an 8.5 foot drill bit to follow the path you want, and then expect to get a piece of RG-6 to fall in that same hole ??????
Where do you have to be to get the bit inand out of the hole ? Outside ?

How about an A/B switch instead of a splitter?

My parents put a splitter on one of their lines so my sister could have a signal in her room without a receiver. She HAD to watch whatever channel they chose from the receiver, but it did split the signal fine.

I know I need a line from each tuner to the satellite. I have 2 D10, 1 R10 with only one line, and 1 HR20 with two lines. The installer said it was impossible to run a second line to the R10. He said that there were two lines in the wall, one going north for the kitchen tv, and one going south to the tivo. He said I could disconnect the kitchen to get two to the tivo, but was impossible to bring a third line in.

If you can get to both lines before they go north & south you can add a Multiswitch and then have 4 lines.

If you can get to both lines before they go north & south you can add a Multiswitch and then have 4 lines.

The one poster was right... I do not want to split the signal from a receiver to two tvs... I want to split one connection to the satellite between receivers. I want the ability to change channels easily, so one receiver in a different room would not satisfy me.

The installer said I could not use a multiswitch inside the house since I have HD receivers, using the slimline dish, with a multiswitch already on it. Is that true?

splitting signal

Hi

Get a splitter that has a power passive on one output. Put the splitter on the end of the cable that is connected to your to receiver, then take two short pieces of RG-6 to your receiver. The power passive side is to power the lnb from the receiver.

I'd fed up with directv trying to get a decent installer out. See any of my other posts.

Here's the question... we only use the kitchen receiver when we are cooking. Later at night, we may use the tivo to watch tv. Rarely are both in use. Could I put a splitter (not a multiswitch) in, and if I only have one receiver on, get that one tuner to work correctly? I know splitters do not work like for a cable system, but would it work if only one receiver is on?

Allows us to record two shows at once when we are away...

Any advice for me to get the extra line ran? Because its the living room, I do not want the cable to snake around the room; I want it in the same jack as the first line is in. I asked if the cable could go from the dish, through the attic, and down the walls, but he said it cannot happen since there is the bedroom floor inbetween. (three story townhouse).

decent installer?, Why because you figure you would bitch and complain to get a wallfish for FREE????. You want somebody to take a risk and screw up something.
You want it so bad call a electrician and let him charge you. it you want it so bad in the same damn place.

decent installer?, Why because you figure you would bitch and complain to get a wallfish for FREE????. You want somebody to take a risk and screw up something.
You want it so bad call a electrician and let him charge you. it you want it so bad in the same damn place.

I used the word "decent" because I am frustrated with directv. The installer out this last time spent an hour trying, and showed up on the 8-12 range. I've been trying to get this installed since December. And I understand its more Directv's fault and not the individual installers. But the first installer didn't show. Second said that I couldn't get the dish installed because of my location - without doing any testing. Said that the dish cannot go on the roof, and cannot go in the backyard because my house or neighbor would block it. Told me it was my responsibility to reschedule the appointment. Third guy didn't show. Fourth guy did a great job putting the dish on the roof, and setting up one tuner. He said that he was not contracted to run a second line and that I would need to make another appointment.

This last technician said he would have to charge me, and I said that was fine. I'm not looking for something for free; I'm looking for two tuners to work in the DVR and not have cables along the walls in my living room.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a fight... I'm looking for advice from experienced technicians that can explain to me my options.

You CAN do this, but as the installer mentioned, the dish has a built in multiswitch already in it.

Jimbo

SO I can have the 68 muntiswitch installed outside for 5 lines... and then also put a multiswitch on two of those lines inside and output 3?

What model multiswitch should I get?

If it makes a difference... this is for a D10 and R10. The HR20 has two lines going directly from the multiswitch to it.

I used the word "decent" because I am frustrated with directv. The installer out this last time spent an hour trying, and showed up on the 8-12 range. I've been trying to get this installed since December. And I understand its more Directv's fault and not the individual installers. But the first installer didn't show. Second said that I couldn't get the dish installed because of my location - without doing any testing. Said that the dish cannot go on the roof, and cannot go in the backyard because my house or neighbor would block it. Told me it was my responsibility to reschedule the appointment. Third guy didn't show. Fourth guy did a great job putting the dish on the roof, and setting up one tuner. He said that he was not contracted to run a second line and that I would need to make another appointment.

This last technician said he would have to charge me, and I said that was fine. I'm not looking for something for free; I'm looking for two tuners to work in the DVR and not have cables along the walls in my living room.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a fight... I'm looking for advice from experienced technicians that can explain to me my options.
Sounds to me like it isan installer problem and not a D* problem.

Jimbo

Sounds to me like it isan installer problem and not a D* problem.

Jimbo

I just want it installed! But as it stands now, I cannot take advantage of all that directv is offering, either because directv cannot hire enough technicians, or the right ones, or cannot deliver on what I was offered.

SO I can have the 68 muntiswitch installed outside for 5 lines... and then also put a multiswitch on two of those lines inside and output 3?

What model multiswitch should I get?

If it makes a difference... this is for a D10 and R10. The HR20 has two lines going directly from the multiswitch to it.
Some one will chime in and correct this, IF I make a mistake, but,
I believe you can use a multi switch the WB 6x8 is the one to use for the 5 lnb set up.
You will need to run all 4 outputs from the lnbs to the multiswitch ....regerdless.
then run your rec. feeds from there, but I don't see how this is going to help you.
I also do not think you can run the WB 6x8 on the outside and then add one inside.

I do think I see what your trying to do, now that I sat and thought about it, but, I am not the one to tell you how to connect the two multiswitches together.
I know how to set up a single multiswitch set up, but have never had to deal with more than one.

Jimbo

Hi

Get a splitter that has a power passive on one output. Put the splitter on the end of the cable that is connected to your to receiver, then take two short pieces of RG-6 to your receiver. The power passive side is to power the lnb from the receiver.

Which splitter are you talking about? If there is only one power passive output, does that mean that only that side can change the channel? I'm looking for an option to place two receivers on it. If those two receivers must be on the same channel... I guess I'll live with that because I'm not sure there are other options. But I want each receiver to be able to change the channel. I dont want to go to the other room to change the channel, but there would be rare cases where both would be in use at one time, so maybe if that option is available I could live with both receivers tuned to the same channel.

Sorry I'm new to this, and I appreciate all the help I've been given.

I just want it installed! But as it stands now, I cannot take advantage of all that directv is offering, either because directv cannot hire enough technicians, or the right ones, or cannot deliver on what I was offered.

jk,
D* doesn't actually do most of the installer hiring, it is done city to city, I doubt that D* has anything to do with it.

Jimbo

Some one will chime in and correct this, IF I make a mistake, but,
I believe you can use a multi switch the WB 6x8 is the one to use for the 5 lnb set up.
You will need to run all 4 outputs from the lnbs to the multiswitch ....regerdless.
then run your rec. feeds from there, but I don't see how this is going to help you.
I also do not think you can run the WB 6x8 on the outside and then add one inside.

I do think I see what your trying to do, now that I sat and thought about it, but, I am not the one to tell you how to connect the two multiswitches together.
I know how to set up a single multiswitch set up, but have never had to deal with more than one.

Jimbo
You can daisy chain the 6x8's, but you must have 4 input lines to each one.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)