How to started with a DVR?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

designer

Original poster
Feb 6, 2005
NC
I want to get one but don't know anything about them. Do you have to get it through your sat. provider? I have had Directv for years, two boxes. I checked their website and they offer Directv plus DVR for $99 plus two year commitment and monthly fee. It says it is a lease. If you are not buying it why are you paying $99? Is that a good deal? It seems to be some sort of combo box. Reciever/DVR? I figure this would replace our current boxes? Is this the only way to get DVR? I thought it would be like a VCR, a separate box you hook up to your existing equipment. What your recomendations for getting started?

Thanks, Carol M

The Directv plus DVR is all built in to one unit, they have two input cable connections so you can record one program while you watch another live progerm or record two programs at the same time and watch a pervious recorded program.

The unit have the DVR and receiver with two tuners all built onto one unit. You can get one fron D* or a local retail store, like best buy or Fry'.

FlyingJ said:
My suggestion, call D* RETENTION ask them to upgrade you to a DVR, probably get it for next to nothing.

Sorry for my ignorance but what is D* RETENTION?

I talked to someone at directv on the phone about getting one for free and they turned me down. later i sent them a email, about being being a long time customer and they were giving them to new customers.
The next day a person from Directv called me and after a long discussion, they sent me one for free and got it installed for free

Best offer they gave me was $99 with free install. So I guess I'll do that and put the reciever it is replacing in the other bedroom. I was hoping it meant replacing all the boxes so we could record in the other room. The service does cover all recievers in the home BUT only the combo recievers record so you have to pay the $99 for each combo box you want. So I'm just doing the one.

Retention 800-824-9081, ask them what is the best they can do to give you a DVR.

Could also go to Add/Replace Receiver in your account at DirecTV.com and enter "DVR4U2" into the promo field and get a free one that way.

Last edited:
As a Followup Question for this thread:

Is there a way to get a DVR without the Lease?

Ive been a Sub for several years now - but all ive had in that time is an SD, Non DVR Receiver. I was thinking of finally taking the plunge and getting a DVR. The Above Promo Code, The DTV Website and alot of the commerical dealers pages only talk about leases now. I dont mind the 1-2 year commitment so much - but the lease bothers me. Is there a way to get it without the lease - even if its paying abit more up front?

If there isent - just bite the bullet and go with the free DVR offer with the above code or call retention - But trying to explore options...

Leasing is mandatory on all new D* receivers and dvrs. The monthly lease fee is $4.99, but the extra receiver fee of $4.99 is waived, so the monthly charge evens out. The DVR service requires a monthly $5.99 fee. From D*'s website:

For a current customer, you will be charged a monthly fee in the amount of $4.99 for each receiver leased by you in your household, unless you replace all of your owned-equipment with leased equipment, in which case, the monthly lease fee will be waived for the 1st receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HR10 dialing help

Tonight' Marlins Game (9/6/06) Blacked out WHY??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)