How to switch local channels?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nycon

Original poster
Jul 18, 2005
I currently have charter cable for my provider but want to switch to directv. I live in Fond du Lac WI (54935) and get the milwaukee channels through charter. When I go though the directv site to look up my locals they show them as Green Bay locals. I dont want these and I want my milwaukee locals. Worst yet just a town over (Lomira, WI) get milwaukee locals.

Is there a way to convince directv to give me milwaukee locals?

The local affiliates/NAB control what you get via DBS services. Buying a post office box in Lomira and using that as your "service address" should get you done.

Now I need to set up the service at my house so they can install the hardware (would do it myself but it would be to tough that high on my house.) So then I can set up a P.O. Box in Lomira after I get it installed and switch the service to that address? Is that what your getting at? Dont they question moving so soon after installation, or do they not care?

Now that specific answer needs to come from one of our members that has actually "moved", but YES you are getting the gist.

Im suprised they would let you tie the service to a P.O. box. Anybody out there that have done this please let me know so that I go on a goose chase. I could always just switch the service to my parents address (well within the milwaukee channels) and still have the bill sent to my address. Would this also work? I am guessing the satalite would need some adjusting then. I think the milwaukee channels are at 101 degrees vurses them hooking it to the 109 and up satalites.

The PO box was the idea, I have never moved so thats why I suggested a PO box, your parent's address would be the best option by far. I do know moving works and I do know DirecTV maintains 2 addresses, a service addy and a billing addy.

Change P.O.box 212 into APT 212 at that street address and it will work better, nobody lives in a P.O. box.

DTV WILL NOT let you use a PO Box as home addy, just give them your real address, let the tech come out and install the system, then call in and tell a CSR that you have moved, give them the new service address, but tell them to continue to send the bills and what not to your "home office" or whatever!

Milwaukee Spotbeam

Milwaukee Spotbeam does reach far, friend of mine had a not so legal setup for D* and he would get milwaukee near aurora illinois, which was nice, Id go over to his house and catch all the packer games.

Pittsburgh locals

Would I be able to get Pittsburgh, PA locals in southeastern Virginia? Does the spotbeam for Pittsburgh reach that far?

DTVEmployee said:
DTV WILL NOT let you use a PO Box as home addy, just give them your real address, let the tech come out and install the system, then call in and tell a CSR that you have moved, give them the new service address, but tell them to continue to send the bills and what not to your "home office" or whatever!

This is exactly how its done...

Thats how I did it..

I would probably wait a good few weeks after the install though to change your service address..

OK I've tried this with Dish Network....they want to come out and MOVE my system for me. Does anyone know of any way around this?

That's what you get when everyone just replies to do a search on "moving". We need to have some sort of an FAQ section that covers topics like this.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)