How to wire the house for MRV on a new install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

smitbret

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
East Idaho
Dumping Dish and getting D*. I prefer to do my own cabling through the house, cuz I've never had an installer do it to my liking (cosmetically). Just wondering how to run the cables. I'm used to using an E* 722, so I have needed two coax lines to the main room, but the way I understand is that isn't needed with D*. My set up will be:

Four rooms (2 upstairs B2B, 2 downstairs B2B directly below):
2 HR24 DVR Receivers (1 up, 1 down)
1 H24 HD receiver (down)
1 SD receiver (up)

Do I just need one RG6 line into each room from a central location where the installer can hook in the downline from the LNB or should I double it up like E* prefers?

You will just need one cable ran to each receiver location. The SD receiver will not be able to do Multi Room Viewing, you will need an HD receiver at that location instead if you wish to access MRV at that location.

Al

Excellent.

I realize that there will be no DVR on the SD receiver. It's the 5-year old's room. She won't use it. I appreciate you watching my back, though.

Lastly, is it imperative that the junction be inside the house or could I leave it outside?

Last edited:
1 cable to all rooms coming together at a central location preferably at ground.
If they are not ran to ground then run a single cable from the gathering point to ground.

All cable should be RG6 and preferably 3ghz solid copper core.

If you run 3ghz solid copper core from all rooms to ground you will most likely never have to run additional cables again any time soon.

Excellent.

I realize that there will be no DVR on the SD receiver. It's the 5-year old's room. She won't use it. I appreciate you watching my back, though.

Lastly, is it imperative that the junction be inside the house or could I leave it outside?

If you can rig it so all the home runs end up on a panel near the electric bond with good inside access that would be good. There is a Power Inserter (PI) used on the mrv setup and it needs an AC outlet.

There is a dual cable available that has a cat5 & RG6 bonded together that might be worth the $$$$$$.

If you could provide a drop box (project enclosure) about the size of a NID near the ground rod, the tech could put the ground block there, drill the wall from inside the enclosure and run a single line to your panel. The cat5 could exit to the NID the same way.

If possible.....or just home run all out near the GR (or where DISH was rigged)

Joe

My favorite way to hook up MRV is when all the lines are pulled inside to a connection panel or room inside with a power outlet right there then a single line running out to ground.
I personally like to put the power inserter before the swm splitter and then just split it off to each receiver.
This makes for a neater install and less for the customer to worry about.
It also keep the majority of the connections inside out of the weather.

If you do this, I would suggest you run 2 lines outside or put it in a place that an additional line can easily be brought in in the future in case you ever switch to Dish.
(4 lines if you ever think you will have more then 8 tuners keeping in mind that 4 dvrs = 8 tuners)

Since I'll already be pulling cable, is there going to be any advantage or reason for me to pull a dual RG6 or RG6/Cat5e composite cable?

Also, from what I'm reading, they will install a DECA box directly behind the HR24s, then run a single RG6 out of each room and into the SWM. Then I'll need to make an ethernet run from the SWM to my router?

Correct?

Last edited:
Since I'll already be pulling cable, is there going to be any advantage or reason for me to pull a dual RG6 or RG6/Cat5e composite cable?

You don't really need a cat5, as all MRV/CC functions are done thru the coax.
However, I would pull at least a dual, if not 3 coax lines. One for possible OTA connections &/or a modulator backfeed to TV's that do NOT need a separate receiver.

Also, from what I'm reading, they will install a DECA box directly behind the HR24s,

NO, the H/HR24's have all that built in - it's the other H/HR models that need external DECA's...

then run a single RG6 out of each room and into the SWM.

yep

Then I'll need to make an ethernet run from the SWM to my router?

I'd run coax myself, as normally they put the CC DECA at the router, then coax out to the SWM splitter

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)