HR20-100: Callout phone number?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

shinner

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Pennsylvania
Anyone know how I can find out what number my HR20-100 is calling out to? I have a 10-250 upstairs that calls out but the number no longer works and I refuse to make a LD call. I've disconnected the phone line for now but I still get a new "phone call failed" message each night that I have to delete.

DirecTV apparently disconnected the local phone number that used to work fine....guessing they must have changed it since the HR20-100 never fails. Figure if I can get that number and enter it in the 10-250, the nightly phone call will succeed and I won't have to keep deleting these friggin' nag messages. Normally it's not a big deal but I don't use this TV every day and when I do there's a bunch of messages to delete...which is a PITA, to be honest.

Have you tried going into the setup and have the hr10-250 call for access numbers? They might have changes numbers.

BTW, the HR10 doesn't really need to be connected to a phone line except to activate software updates and for PPV purchases. And the HR20 doesn't need or use one either.

How do you tell the unit what number to call ?
Well, as I found out, you can only pick numbers from the list after you put your area code in....won't let you enter a phone number manually.

BTW, the HR10 doesn't really need to be connected to a phone line except to activate software updates and for PPV purchases.
It's not a matter of "need".....the daily messages piling up because it couldn't connect are a pain in the ass.

Shinner - first of all, you need to understand that the D* Tivo's actually make TWO phone calls, to two DIFFERENT numbers, while ALL other receivers only call ONE number:

-One call goes out on an 800#, which goes to DIRECTV. These are the same numbers ALL other D* receivers use, INCLUDING ALL DVR receivers, whether they are Tivo based or NOT. These are only used to report PPV, to verify all in a household being connected to the same phone line, or for some interactive applications (which are NO supported on Tivo boxes anyway). No software updates are done on this connection.

-The other call, which is ONLY used by ALL D* Tivo boxes, normally goes to a local access number. D* has NO control on these numbers - Tivo is the one that controls these. Tivo sometimes does change, add or deletes these local numbers, depending on local conditions. In a few cases, Tivo does provide access to an 800#, so the subs doesn't have to pay for a toll call, but it is NOT the same number as the D* one that I explained above. The ONLY purpose of this phone call, is to report back to Tivo (viewing habits) & to activate new software updates downloaded from D*.

OK, NOW that you understand this - as others have told you, you really don't need to make this "daily call". Other than the annoying messages, they can be safely skipped over with no effect on your service. The only problem you WILL have, is if D* sends out another Tivo software update - that WOULD require a call-in to Tivo to activate. (again, it is NOT the 800# to D* that all other receivers use)

You are correct - you can ONLY choose either a local access number on Tivo's list. I would think you are on the latest software, so your list is probably up to date. If you no longer have a local access number on your list, you'll either have to pick the closest one & pay some toll, or see if there is a Tivo 800# on the list. (I never had this problem in my area, so I am not sure if it even still on the list anymore) If it is not, you might just have to start paying for toll calls, if you REALLY want to stop the messages for not calling in.

So....what it all comes down to, is, I'm screwed. The receiver is gonna keep on trying to call out, not get an answer and generate a message to delete. Awesome.

Thanks for the info though.....

So....what it all comes down to, is, I'm screwed. The receiver is gonna keep on trying to call out, not get an answer and generate a message to delete. Awesome.

Well, I HARDLY say you're "screwed" - you're only screwed (& NOT even that much) if they would send out another Tivo software update. As long as you are now on 6.3e, you most likely won't have to worry about any more updates for awhile - & you can always take the Tivo to someone's house w/a landline to update it.

FYI - I have many severals D* Tivo's customers w/out landlines & they cope quite nicely w/the nag messages. It's hardly the end of the world... ;) :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.