HR20-700 functionality question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

weldgooch

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
First off, I like my HR20. To me, the differences between it and my 2 year old Philips Tivo box are negligible. YES, the Tivo box had a wishlist which my wife and I loved, but I can deal without it if I have to. I like the 30 second slip that everyone else complains about....I digress.

My question is if anyone knows if there is a way to force the HR20 to download the 14 day program guide that it is supposed to have. I'm looking about 2 days ahead and some channels have no programs coming up. I know that on the old Tivo box, I could force the box to dial the phone connection and it would get the guide. Otherwise, the Tivo box would only get the three day guide through the satellite.
The tech who installed my HR20 said that it gets the 2 week guide from the satellite and that the phone line is only required when there is a software update. Is there any way to force the HR20 to update the guide, and is there anyway to check the history of the phone connection?
Thanks.

How long have you had it ?
It does have a 2 week guide, but it takes a day or so to build that far out, so check it in a few days.
Also, try using the search in the menu, I just did to verify my statement, I chose a show that is on most days and YES it went out till 2/14 ot there about.

As for the wishlist, I really think they don't have that because most said they did not like it and wanted to know how to turnit off because it was wasting thier HD space.

The :30 sec skip you just have to learn to work with it, I like it the way it it, I hit the button 4-6 times depending on how many ads I think there will be. I've gotten use to it, so I don't find it to be a problem, it's actually better than what I use to use !

Jimbo

I've had my HR20 for 7 days (Installed on Jan 27,2007), so the 24 hour window has passed. What raised the question on forcing a download was this...on Wednesday night, I was looking at Saturday mornings programming and about 8 channels came up blank. What I actually think happened is that the HR20 must have reset itself overnight because yesterday I pressed the Active Button and the settings I had for the weather was changed back to the default.

I miss the wishlist because it used to allow me to put in a query on a program that was off season and have it automatically recorded when it came back on (i.e. Buckeye football, College Gameday, etc...) I'm a Buckeye too. :)
The search on the HR20 only lets you search for programs that are listed in the guide it has on file, which if your guide isn't the full 2 weeks, then you are sol.

As for the 30 second slip...I use it the same way you do. It annoys the heck out of me when My Father-In-Law (who has Dish) presses the skip button and jumps into the middle of a scene in the show. I like being able to see how much I've slipped past and then pressing the 6-second replay button a few times to jump back to where I need to be.

You must have gotten the new software release (x0120 I think) went national yesterday. So your guide for 2 weeks should be updated by now as it takes about 24 hours to build. It seams to build faster if you leave receiver in stanby mode :)

Yep, there is a new national release going out as of mid-week. Software updates cause a reboot which in turn then causes a loss of guide data. First 6 hours or so fills in right away and the rest of the 14 days slowly indexes over the next 24 hours. Should be no worries soon.

I have always felt the wishlist was a complete waste of time, never used it, although I can see how it was useful for what you were trying to do.

I too prefer the 30 second slip on my HR20 to the 30 second skip on my TiVo. It's good to see what I am missing, sometimes I will go back to look at a newsflash or program preview that I would have missed on the TiVo.

D* never had a wishlist did they ?
That was a TIVO that had the wishlist I think.
Sorry, I never had a TIVO so I am not 100 % sure.

Jimbo

Yea, the "wishlist" is a Tivo only thing. No other DVR has this same feature. Not sure if it's a patent of Tivo or not.

What the HR20 has (and many other DVRs) is an advanced search function with autorecord capability. However it's kinda like a Tivo wishlist "lite". It works just fine for me since I never did advanced things with wishlists in the first place.
The autorecord search though on the HR20 has limited usefullness due to the channel I receive thing.

With the newest 0x13b they are starting to get rid of the "after a reset the unit has to re-download the program info" with the 0x13b after the unit will now cache the guide info in the memory

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)