Hurricane Charley vs. My VOOM Dish...

Orlando Vol

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 17, 2004
Well it looks like Hurrican Charley will pass over Orlando Friday afternoon/night...

Think I will get some rain fade?? ;)

My question...

"What should I do to my dish/OTA antenna if anything?"

Will it hold up? If I posted a pic would that help?

Thanks guys...

Technut said:
definitly post before and after pics, how big of a dish do u have? and good luck!!

MR.C

It is just the standard dish....
I meant that if I needed to post a pic to show how it was installed... :D
but, I will post up some pics... maybe an action shot or two... :cool:

Orlando Vol said:
Well it looks like Hurrican Charley will pass over Orlando Friday afternoon/night...
Hurrican Charlie, that's funny, I thought you were talking about Dish CEO Charlie Ergen. :D

I suggest attaching guy wires to the ouret rim of the dish reflector. Wrench them down tight and hold on for the ride.

Seriously I doubt there is anything you could do aside from maybe tweaking the nuts a tad bit tighter..

Good luck.

Do you live in a house? Most condos/apartments here, the association will make you take down anything like a dish or antenna if there's a hurricane warning. Some will even make you take it down in a hurricane watch. My guess is that a 100mph+ wind will tear the dish right off the mounting.

I thought most 18-24" dishs were spec to survive up to 120MPH winds?

I didn't know that. it makes me feel much better though. I'm in Miami and we might get hit by the outskirts of the storm. If it shifts a couple of degrees it could pass right over us.

lostcause said:
Do you live in a house? Most condos/apartments here, the association will make you take down anything like a dish or antenna if there's a hurricane warning. Some will even make you take it down in a hurricane watch. My guess is that a 100mph+ wind will tear the dish right off the mounting.

Yep, I own a house... I'm really just worrying about the dish being ripped off of the roof... And, whether or not I should do anything to keep it from blowing away/ripping out of my shingles...

I guess if something happened to it I would just call Voom? Hopefully they would fix it, maybe with a bigger dish...

I am beginning to get a little nervous about this one... It's been forever since one came through here... :)

I'm gonna pick up some bottled water tomorrow, and maybe some canned food... I hope I can get out of going in to work on Friday, it's supposed to come through in the afternoon.... Surely, other people will want to get home and secure their houses/families....

Crossing fingers... ;)

Orlando Vol said:

Think I will get some rain fade?? ;)

My question...

"What should I do to my dish/OTA antenna if anything?"

Will it hold up? If I posted a pic would that help?

Thanks guys...
You may get rainfade, but if the dish survives and you have power youll be watching TV a whole lot faster than cable subs if Charley knocks out the cable.

vurbano said:
You may get rainfade, but if the dish survives and you have power youll be watching TV a whole lot faster than cable subs if Charley knocks out the cable.

Sweet!

I asked that question in jest, but you're right! I am beginning to think it is going to just brush us (me)... The prediction has changed slightly, more to the West... But I will still get a lot of rain as I am on the East side of the storm which is where all of the action is going to be. :cool:

When Isabel came to Hampton Road last September. The day before the storm arrive I climbed up on the roof and removed my 2 dishes. Left the mounts and poles. Duct taped the RG06 so I wouldn't flop around. But in hindsight I think they would have been okay.

Good Luck!

devildogg said:
When Isabel came to Hampton Road last September. The day before the storm arrive I climbed up on the roof and removed my 2 dishes. Left the mounts and poles. Duct taped the RG06 so I wouldn't flop around. But in hindsight I think they would have been okay.

Good Luck!

devildogg, where in HR are you? I was here for Isabel, it wasn't fun, we lost power for 2 weeks.

Cascade said:
devildogg, where in HR are you? I was here for Isabel, it wasn't fun, we lost power for 2 weeks.

I live in Va. Beach. My power was only out for four days. I missed two of them as I went to the Nascar race in Dover. So, it was nice to come back home and have power.

Regards...

I haven't had a drop of rain all day, but it's been windy as heck with 20mph wind bursts... my good friend lives in Orlando, Charley is headed right for them.. I just hope that because it's inland and not as flat as the surrounding coastal areas that it weakens the storm somewhat.

I'm in Tampa, spent hours getting ready, but now it veered northeast, looks like we are OK.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)