Hurricane Frances headed my way ... peace and quiet to reign on SatGuys forum

Dvlos said:
... for a while if that eye hits Broward....

:( :( :( :( :( :(:( :(:( :(:( :(:( :(:( :(:( :(:( :(:( :(:( :(
I have mine mounted on the baseboard before the room (whatever it's called). I doubt if we get any sustained winds its going to survive.
I hope voom replaces the dish/antenna if it doesnt survive frances. Installs inc mounted the thing so high (in townhouse) i cant even reach it with a 20ft ladder and extension.

Well half the local stations seem to think South Florida is in major danger, the other half says we are in major danger of getting flooded, but that the storm is going to hit Central FL again.

One of the "funnier" forecasts has Frances turning into a category 3 the instant it hits Vero Beach (what do they have a 70ft concrete wall there or something?) then turning into a 2 in Orlando, and then it like goes on into like Tennessee as a regular storm.

I'll take a page of experience from Andrew, it never hits where they "Say" it will hit, it's just too hard to tell. Charley was going to hit Tampa, it hit Punta Gorda/Orlando. Andrew was going to hit Ft. Lauderdale, then 2 hours before it was going to hit Downtown Miami, Andrew actually hit 35 miles south of THAT.

The computer models keep acting like these 2 high pressure systems will not join and form a path to push the hurricane upwards, I just don't see it happening IMO. My personal forecast is this:

The Bahamian chain is slowing the strength of this storm, just like Andrew when this hurricane hits the warm clear waters of the jet stream currents it will intensify and the eye will form to be a high Cat. 4 again. The actual eye will hit Pompano Beach to West Palm Beach Jupiter at the highest, it will cross Florida in a line, and fall out on the west side around Fort Myers. So who are you going to believe THEM? Or a guy who knows nothing about weather?

--hurricane Frances--

Wishing that Dvlos and all my fellow South Floridians stay safe and dry over the next 48 hours or so. My dish is down and I realize that even with all the complaining I do, I miss the hell out of my VOOM.

peaCe***

Dvlos I'm in Miami-Dade. Good luck to you!! My dish is on the edge of the roof on the edgeboard or whatever you call it...it looks like the mounting base was a bit bigger than the board and from down below it looks like it only has 2 or 3 bolts holding it on. I have no way to get to it to take it down. I know they are rated to 120 mph but I have a feeling anything over 40 or 50 will rip this thing right off.

If it slows down any more, a high will build above it and push it right over broward or even dade. Gas stations here are all sold out and won't get any more gas probably till tuesday since the seaports are closed.

What's going to suck is if the dish blows off it will probably take at least a month to get an installer out. They are going to be booked solid.

Oh well I'm off to sleep...I've manage to get a grand total of 5 hours over the past 2 nights.

Their telling us in TPA since the storm is so slow the rain could be >1ft or more. This thing is moving so slow flooding is going to be a problem.

Well, Voomless in West Palm Beach. Took my dish and antenna down yesterdy morning and they both sit forlornly on the living room floor. Looks like the thing is falling apart, particularly from shear coming in from the SW. East side of the storm is losing a lot of its punch. Flooding is beginning to look like a bigger problem than wind. I expect some fairly decent rain to start here late this afternoon and may well continue all day on Saturday. May or may not get a couple hours of hurricane force winds Saturday morning - depending on if it makes landfall north of us but fairly close. Man, I miss my HD football games. Hoping to get the dish back up sometime on Sunday. At least it no longer looks like we're going to get pounded with 120+mph winds for many hours. That's the way it looked yesterday morning and it wasn't a fun thing to contemplate.

ricks, you can try connecting the antenna to the STB directly and using it indoor. Perhaps you can get at least some local channels.

Ilya said:
ricks, you can try connecting the antenna to the STB directly and using it indoor. Perhaps you can get at least some local channels.

Thanks, but I'm not TVless, just Voomless. Still have cable since it comes with my HOA fees. Plus, iffin' you live in a hurricane area, you own a handheld TV. I think I've got about 40 Double A batteries in a waterproof container. As long as the TV stations are broadcasting, I'll have TV, even without any power. I won't lose power until sometime this evening, at the earliest. Maybe not until morning when we may get some hurricane force winds. Last advisory has landfall in the Cocoa area. If that holds, I may escape with not more than long and intense tropical storm winds and many inches of rain. Right now we're just bored. Everything is shut down. No gas at any of the stations. No place to go even if there was any gas. Just bored.

My folks lost power, and lost E* 15 minutes before losing power.. i have power and watching V*what a twisted turn of events!

I'm near Ft. Lauderdale, two feeder bands have passed, they expect this area to get hit with rain and winds soon. They keep pushing back the time because the storm keeps slowing... If it keeps heading left it will hit our county, but it's fallen to a CAt 2. Andrew dropped and wobbled a bit when it hit the Bahamas also, but it restrengthened to a 4 almost a 5 when it hits, regardless I'll breathe easier when this thing is a rain storm somewhere in Kansas.

where are you exactly? My family lives in North Lauderdale and my family's business is in Margate.

I am sitting dry in Texas. I want to wish the best of luck to all in Florida and our prayers are with y'all!!!Stay safe and dry. I would suggest that Voom and Installs,inc concentrate on getting people that have lost service in the storm back up as soon as possible!! Good luck to all.

Well so far the only tragedy for me has been my winegard sensar (at least I'm pretty sure that's what it is) has moved and is now pointing about 30 degrees off so I lost three local channels; Fo:mad:7), ABC(10), and UPN(33). Fortunately I am still getting 2 of the ones that are covering the storm so I can still see what's going on. I figure it will probably take about a month to get someone out to fix it unless I can find a large ladder so I can do it myself.

Other than this, no major problems. Heavy rains aren't supposed to start till late this afternoon or even later. I hope my place doesn't flood if it rains too hard.

Got a little rain fade with my new 24" dish.
Lost signal in the 1st squall line for 30 seconds.
Second squall line just moved through and lost signal for 3-4 minutes.
The squall lines are moving through at 50 to 75 mph.
So far the hotlines marathon on SpikeTV 520 has been interupted very litle ;-)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts