HWS stuck in "starting up" mode

dlharm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 5, 2009
So. Central Nebraska
I have a owned HWS that has been in service since 9/2013 and this morning I turned on the system--but the HWS is stuck in "starting up". I unplugged the unit for 30 sec. to 1 minute, from the outlet, tried this 3 times, and nothing--there is a slight "clicking" sound but the HWS makes no other sound when plugged in.
I have not had any issues, previously, with the receiver--at least that I noticed.
I assume that this unit is toast--or is there anything else I can do or do I go directly to DIRT?
Thanks!

Last edited:
I have a owned HWS that has been in service since 9/2013 and this morning I turned on the system--but the HWS is stuck in "starting up". I unplugged the unit for 30 sec. to 1 minute, from the outlet, tried this 3 times, and nothing--there is a slight "clicking" sound but the HWS makes no other sound when plugged in.
I have not had any issues, previously, with the receiver--at least that I noticed.
I assume that this unit is toast--or is there anything else I can do or do I go directly to DIRT?
Thanks!

I am assuming by your post, you don't actually want to call in? The process would be pretty simple if you did. The agent is going to ask you to unplug and plug back in, and if still stuck on "Starting Up", you'll be transferred to an advanced tech support agent, who will send you a replacement via UPS. If you have the protection plan, the shipping will be free, otherwise, it will be $15 to cover shipping both ways.

By the time DIRT contacts you, you could already have this done. Just saying.

I am assuming by your post, you don't actually want to call in? The process would be pretty simple if you did. The agent is going to ask you to unplug and plug back in, and if still stuck on "Starting Up", you'll be transferred to an advanced tech support agent, who will send you a replacement via UPS. If you have the protection plan, the shipping will be free, otherwise, it will be $15 to cover shipping both ways.

By the time DIRT contacts you, you could already have this done. Just saying.

In my opinion it is well worth contacting DIRT, even with any short wait. They seldom screw up and can expedite any problems that may arise.

I would much rather wait and contact DIRT. When you call Dish they are going to make you go through all the steps you've already taken because they are reading off a computer screen.

Thanks!

Since your receiver is "owned" you need to have the DISH Service Protection Plan to keep your replacement receiver "owned".If you don't have that your replacement receiver becomes a "leased" receiver.

Finally home from work. I unplugged all usb devices, with both ehd's-- and the receiver powered on and it went through the process and lit up--although I did hear the "clicking" sound when it was firing up. Thank You! dwarren2 for the suggestion.
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.
I take it that the hard drive on the HWS is still in jeopardy of failing completely? I better transfer shows if I'm able to.
So I probably should have it replaced before to long--would that be wise?

I was speaking from experience. The first time I replaced a 722, I hooked everything up before I tried to start it up. Would not start. Called Dish and they thought the new one was bad and sent me another. In the mean time, someone mentioned that you needed to boot clean the first time. Did that and everything worked. Another time I had a failed download at night and the receiver would not power up. Think I mentioned it here in a thread. Was told to do a naked boot and it finished the download and booted up. I've mentioned to Dish a few times, that making sure your doing a naked boot when there is a problem.

I investigated a little more and I think the "clicking" sound is from my newest ehd--the 1.5tb one--so that may be the culprit--it only has about 200gb used--I suppose it could be the smaller one-- as I've had it for 5 yrs. or so--I'll need to look into this further.

An update to my earlier posts; Of the 2 ehd's I have the only one that gets recognized on the HWS is the newest one--the old 500gb does not show as available--and that is after waiting awhile and also restarting the HWS. I don't remember what all I had on the 500gb ehd but I know I had 435gb filled-and now all is lost--the ehd does not even light up now--but Thankfully it is not the hopper hard drive that is corrupted.

You will find that if you leave power on during a reboot, it will usually reload the EHD but often, especially with multiple EHDs, it may not be recognized. It is better to add EHDs one at a time after the receiver has booted. The Hopper is particularly sensitive to plugging or unplugging the USB cable with power on the drive. That will likely cause a Hopper reboot. Avoid doing it while recording.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)