HWS to iPad to HDTV

mnevar

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
My daughter is living with us while in grad school. She has a 40" TV but no Joey. I am considering ways to get her a signal without getting a joey.

1. Split the Kitchen Joey's HDMI signal and run a HDMI cable to her room. (She'd have to watch the same thing as the kitchen was watching).

• Run a component cable from the HWS to her room. (Same sharing issue, but with a different viewer)

• Sling the content to her iPad and use a 30 pin to HDMI connector to send signal to TV. (No sharing issue. HWS rarely has conflicts; another H2000 does the bulk of the recording).

Anyone doing #3? Quality issues? Are there cables that allow charging at the same time as sending signal to TV?

My daughter is living with us while in grad school. She has a 40" TV but no Joey. I am considering ways to get her a signal without getting a joey.

1. Split the Kitchen Joey's HDMI signal and run a HDMI cable to her room. (She'd have to watch the same thing as the kitchen was watching).

• Run a component cable from the HWS to her room. (Same sharing issue, but with a different viewer)

• Sling the content to her iPad and use a 30 pin to HDMI connector to send signal to TV. (No sharing issue. HWS rarely has conflicts; another H2000 does the bulk of the recording).

Anyone doing #3? Quality issues? Are there cables that allow charging at the same time as sending signal to TV?

Sling quality on the same network isn't too bad when streaming directly to a computer with a fairly large monitor but don't know what it would look like on 40". I also don't know what resolution limitations an iPad would impose.

One of the frustrations I have with Sling is the slow response to commands. It takes up to 30 seconds to respond to a channel change or play/stop. Fast forward and Rewind and skip forward/back is more or less useless.

Only you can decide if sharing a Joey or one of your Hoppers will work in your situation but if you can resolve conflicts, that's the best approach IMHO.

I have transferred programs to an iPad and then connected an HDMI cable from it to an HDTV. It doesn't work, Apple/Dish prevent it. The HDMI port is deactivated for such use. Wish I'd known that before buying the Apple adapter.

However, I understand a jailbroken iPad will allow it.

I suspect the resolution might be poor anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Don't think the Apple adapter works with Dish Anywhere out to tv. Seems like I read people got audio but not video. You could always set up the kitchen Joey for wireless & move it to the other room for a while.

I have transferred programs to an iPad and then connected an HDMI cable from it to an HDTV. It doesn't work, Apple/Dish prevent it. The HDMI port is deactivated for such use. Wish I'd known that before buying the Apple adapter.

However, I understand a jailbroken iPad will allow it.

I suspect the resolution might be poor anyway.

Interesting. There's reviews on Amazon for a cable that allows it without the need for a jailbreak. That's the claim in the description anyway. I think I'll give it a try.

Are the reviews for using it with Dish? Adapter does work for other stuff, but pretty sure Dish or Apple has it locked down. I checked into it & for the price decided it wasn't worth it. Ended up getting a cable for my android Nook HD on sale that actually does stream hd from DA to a tv.

Are the reviews for using it with Dish? Adapter does work for other stuff, but pretty sure Dish or Apple has it locked down. I checked into it & for the price decided it wasn't worth it. Ended up getting a cable for my android Nook HD on sale that actually does stream hd from DA to a tv.

Doesn't say. but if it doesn't work, it's an easy return with free shipping both ways. Worth a shot.

Interesting. There's reviews on Amazon for a cable that allows it without the need for a jailbreak. That's the claim in the description anyway. I think I'll give it a try.

Pls report back on results, including PQ if it works.

I don't know about the HDMI iPad adapter but I can tell you that Dish does not block Airplay from an iPad to an Apple TV. I dropped my account down to AT120 because I don't need my RSN outside of baseball season. I will occasionally stream basketball games on Big Ten Network from my parents HWS. I run the Dish Anywhere app on my iPad and then use Airplay to wirelessly stream it to my Apple TV. Picture quality is not as a normal Dish receiver but it is acceptable. You don't get 5.1 sound either.

Get an apple tv and use mirroring on the ipad its not as good as having a joey but it works well enough if you do not want to pay for a joey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pls report back on results, including PQ if it works.

Got the cable and Dish blocks the video. Audio comes through.

just what we told you.

And he reported back, just like he was asked to do.

My daughter also tried it with Amazon Prime videos. While it worked, the image was downsized and it didn't look that vibrant, especially compared to the iPad image.

I use an iPad mini using Apple's VGA converter to the VGA input on a 22" tv, PQ is not the same as HD or what it looks like on the iPad but is about as good as some of the sd channels when receiver connected directly. But it probably looks better due the smaller tv size. You would need to run a separate audio line in this setup. IPad to Apple tv is supposed to look better, but you read what others have posted when using Dishanywhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts