I don't think I want D* locals in HD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

igator99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
I've seen their HD on the nationals and they range from good to slightly above SD. I have my locals from an OTA and they are awesome. So what is the advantage of having D* HD locals?

A is a large portion of people either do not have access to OTA HD affiliates or are in situations where topography and/or the costs of erecting a tower to place the antenna on; are ridiculous.

charper1 said:
A is a large portion of people either do not have access to OTA HD affiliates or are in situations where topography and/or the costs of erecting a tower to place the antenna on; are ridiculous.

I understand but geez if you live in an area where a simple OTA will do why would you want local HD? I live about 40 -60 miles from the transmiters and the picture is stunning. If others can't get that then by all means I hope they get their locals in HD.

igator99 said:
I understand but geez if you live in an area where a simple OTA will do why would you want local HD? I live about 40 -60 miles from the transmiters and the picture is stunning. If others can't get that then by all means I hope they get their locals in HD.

I agree, the locals with a OTA antenna are far superior than those of satellite provided

I have no sympathy for people that cannot recieve OTA. They knew that when they chose to live in that location. We all make chioces and have to live with them. Now, D* has to spend all of these resources inorder to cater to these whiney idiots at the expense of years of delay in getting more national HD for everyone else? ridiculous.

vurbano said:
I have no sympathy for people that cannot recieve OTA. They knew that when they chose to live in that location. We all make chioces and have to live with them. Now, D* has to spend all of these resources inorder to cater to these whiney idiots at the expense of years of delay in getting more national HD for everyone else? ridiculous.

vurbano

huh? When some people bought land 20 years ago there may have been an analog signal where they are due to translator stations. Where our cabin is, we are 120 miles north of Minneapolis and 90 miles SW of Duluth. Until a couple years ago, our area relied on translator stations to pick up the stations. We had CBS, ABC, NBC from Duluth, NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX from Minneapolis. Other than CBS Mpls, the rest were translator stations.

Now most of these stations gave back the translator permit and shut them down (CBS from Mpls is full power and we still have NBC). So how do these people feel? They NEED locals via satellite (most of these areas don't have cable). We're too far for the digital signal of CBS & PBS (PBS is a full power station too) and NBC/ABC/FOX there is no digital near us. So the satellite companies are suppose to say "screw them"

don't think so.

Just because they don't live in "the big city" they're suppose to be shut out from receiving programming? If I could live in a small town I would :)

vurbano said:

locals is what DRIVES their business.

While I understand some folks like Iceberg are unable (or there are none to receive yet) to receive decent digital broadcast via antenna, what percentage of customers do actually think that covers in the US? It is definitely less than half. I think I remember hearing that 90% of the US household where in areas that could receive digital transmissions. Now does that mean that if you live in an area that is covered by digital broadcasts that you will be able, no it does not. You will still have local issues (tall buildings & trees, etc)
So for folks like me, that receive digital broadcasts (and have since 2002!) via antenna, I would much rather see at least a little more effort into delivering more and better quality HD programming via D* rather than glitchy, overcompressed local stations. Folks on this forum say that the Philly locals suffer from bad lip synch issues.

igator99 said:
I've seen their HD on the nationals and they range from good to slightly above SD. I have my locals from an OTA and they are awesome. So what is the advantage of having D* HD locals?
If you are currently getting SD locals, upgrading to HD locals is free! I know, I know, you need the mpeg4 dish and receivers, but everyone will have to upgrade to those eventually, and in many cases, this upgrade is free. If after getting the HD locals, you don't like the picture quality, just keep watching OTA! :)

vurbano said:
What an idiotic post. Sorry, but the majorty of the country does not worry about TV reception when looking for/buying a house.

vurbano said:

Only a Idiot would have a response like the above. D* & E* built there subscriber base on bringing cable to the rural area thru satellite.
And that's who they are going to cater to as far as the (expense of years of delay in getting more national HD for everyone else? ridiculous.[/QUOTE]
There is just not enough quality HD programming available talk to the Programmers about this. It's goin to take time with the conversions to MPEG 4
From reading all the forums the whiney idiots are a small select few of a small HD subscriber base.

igator99 said:

None for you obviously! Think this is a no-brainer really.

One thing that doesn't get mentioned much with the HD locals is that the OTA signal is less susceptible to weather related issues. I'm lucky enough to live in the NYC DMA which means I get the 4 majors on satellite in MPEG2 and OTA. My HD TIVO season passes are all set for the OTA stations both because the image is better and I know if a storm blows in it will most likely still record the program.

vurbano said:

this was obviously meant to receive the responses most have posted. Don't feed into it.

I live within 10-15 miles of a major metro area and only have the abilty to receive 1 OTA digital broadcast (because of my surrounding area). Other than going with cable, D* has allowed me to get all 4 major networks in HD:up

vgsantiago said:
this was obviously meant to receive the responses most have posted. Don't feed into it.

I live within 10-15 miles of a major metro area and only have the abilty to receive 1 OTA digital broadcast (because of my surrounding area). Other than going with cable, D* has allowed me to get all 4 major networks in HD:up

someone reminded me (thank goodness) about the IGNORE link. It works great!

I do wonder why people come here for the sole purpose of posting negative rants and raves.

I was eating lunch and decided to do some comparisons on my H20. I get Boston HD locals via D* (MPEG4 on spaceways) and local HD in Hartford market OTA. Dont use the H20 much since I extensively use my HD Tivo's. There is something unbelievably wrong with the MPEG4 stuff via the spaceways. The frame rates dont look right, misquito noise all over the place, and the Boston CBS has massive green blocks that appear every few seconds (big green blocks from 10% to 75% of the screen).

I also have been watching the NESN HD and the frame rates dont look right. It doesnt have the same issues as the HD Locals but I dont know. I love my D* package with the HD Tivo and HD OTA but if this is the future of what HD is going to look like via MPEG4, I am scared to death. I just spent the past few days at my in-laws and they have the vip622 with E* and its stunning.

I just dunno. I hope its a market by market issue or something specific to the spaceways but HD better not look like this next year. I really feel bad for folks that cant get HD OTA. I really do.

I would not call it idiotic, If you are an avid TV watcher and are worried about the possibility of not getting TV service you should be concerned about reception if your buying or building a house. When I was looking for land to build my new house it frustraded my wife because I would not buy land were I couldnt get High Speed Internet access. And yes I know you can get Internet from Satellite but I said High Speed not that garbage speed you get on DirecWay or Starband.

With some 90% of the country able to receive HDTV via OTA I think its nuts the FCC is requiring D* and E* to carry HDTV locals via sat. If the FCC did not require it then D* and E* would not be doing it because the cost to do so is so high for a uber small percentage of their customers. I know it would suck for guys like Iceberg but I have learned in life that we dont always get what we want or think we deserve.

Tonedeaf said:
What an idiotic post. Sorry, but the majorty of the country does not worry about TV reception when looking for/buying a house.

Last edited:
longshot said:
I would not call it idiotic, If you are an avid TV watcher and are worried about the possibility of not getting TV service you should be concerned about reception if your buying or building a house. When I was looking for land to build my new house it frustraded my wife because I would not buy land were I couldnt get High Speed Internet access.

And yes I know you can get Internet from Satellite but I said High Speed not that garbage speed you get on DirecWay or Starband.

That it just the point you can build just about anywhere and get Tv via E* or D* but to make a remark like vurbano that they should not waste the bandwith on locals is just plain not thinking.
I gave up cable highspeed internet last year to build out on the lake and I did not think twice about it.
I would give up my locals via D* also but thats not the case D* is not going to drop them think about it.:hatsoff:

igator99 said:

Getting back to the original post
I have not had the problems others have had with the locals my MPEG 4 channels are very nice other than the rain fade and I have read where others have posted that the MPEG 4 locals are very close to OTA but I cannot confirm this.
All I can say is I am very happy with mine.;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.