I just applied and got approved for 2 conversion coupons

Got ya. Thanks for the heads up.

Sure. I deleted my message because after submitting it looked like I had the wrong quote and was going to redo it. Glad you saw it.

After reviewing the Gov site I don't see that this is that big a thing. You can't cash out the coupons or sell them. The first 22 million go to anyone who requests one. Their only value is for people who still have analogue TV's.

(BTW the boxes will be marketed as Sling ATSC converters not as Echostar ATSC converters)
That explains the delay... They're rebadging all those boxes... ;)

But I'm in the same boat. I applied as soon as you all announced the program, which I think was on the 1st day the website allowed applications. I gather from the FAQ on dtv2009.gov that the coupons will be mailed soon, but only after converter boxes become available. Plus they will have the expiration date printed on them.

Are any converter boxes available yet? They'll have to wait until that date to print up 22 million coupons. :rolleyes: So, we may or may not get them before March, and we may or may not be able to order the TR-40 before they expire. Typical.

Hold on guys. The OP may or may not "need" these coupons but he is not lying, cheating stealing, or defrauding the government in anyway. Every household has a right to two coupons. I have DBS but I also have two sets that I occasionally use for OTA only. I asked for coupons for those and I had every right to do so.

BTW it is my usderatanding that the TR 40 will be sold under the Echostar name as well as the Sling name. EchoStar's DTV Converter Gets $39.99 Price Tag Remener to that the government is not mailing the coupons until the converters are widely available. Contrary to posts here there are reports that Wal Mart already has some. It is therefore unlikely that the coupon will expire before you can buy a box. if you want a specific box you may want to wait till that box is out there nut the OP did not say he wanted a particular box and when DISH promoted the new echostar/Sling product I don't reacall them telling people to order the coupon immediately.

And there is no error on the web site. the reg is clear that we are all entitled to them. The NTIA website is very clear that they rejected the idea of limiting availability on the first round. As for the "honor sysyeem" there is no such thing. They removed the requirement to have only OTA (at least on the first go round. No one who has applied is violating any honor system.

Last edited:
Hold on guys. The OP may or may not "need" these coupons but he is not lying, cheating stealing, or defrauding the government in anyway. Every household has a right to two coupons. I have DBS but I also have two sets that I occasionally use for OTA only. I asked for coupons for those and I had every right to do so.

BTW it is my usderatanding that the TR 40 will be sold under the Echostar name as well as the Sling name. EchoStar's DTV Converter Gets $39.99 Price Tag

And there is no error on the web site. the reg is clear that we are all entitled to them.

That takes care of all that!

From the DTV2009 website:
Are all consumers eligible for the coupon program?

Yes, but supplies are limited. There are 22.25 million coupons available to all U.S. households. Once those coupons have been used, there are an additional 11.25 million coupons available only to households that solely receive their TV broadcasts over-the-air using an antenna. Households with TVs connected to cable, satellite or other pay TV service are not eligible for this second batch of coupons. Consumers can apply for coupons until March 31, 2009, or until the funds are exhausted.

Didnt lie, didnt cheat. I answered the questions honestly. Look at the website before you comment.
Just to clear the air, I'm not accusing YOU, and anyone who applies for a coupon, of fraud, waste and abuse. That's a term the GAO or inspector general of a government agency uses to define it's own misdeeds. Congress, in it's wisdom :confused:, decided that the first phase of this program should hand out $900 million worth of coupons to anybody that asks. I call that fraud, waste and abuse, even if it's legal. How many Charlie Ergens out there lobbied Congress for that clause? If they can produce a converter for $20 and get $40 from the government by giving them away to anybody that applied for a coupon, that's just wrong. Corporate welfare in action. :( What do you bet that every Echostar employee has been instructed to apply for two coupons and use them?

These coupons should be earmarked for those who truly need them. If you've got an analog set out there that you're using now, or might sell to someone eventually, then go ahead and use the coupon. Cashing in a coupon to get a free box you'll never have a use for is just wrong.

How many Charlie Ergens out there lobbied Congress for that clause? If they can produce a converter for $20 and get $40 from the government by giving them away to anybody that applied for a coupon, that's just wrong.
I thought of that myself... Explains why they mentioned it over and over on the 'chat' last night too. Dish could care less if their customers need these boxes but it sure helps them if everyone gets a coupon and uses it, ideally to "buy" one of their boxes !!
These coupons should be earmarked for those who truly need them. If you've got an analog set out there that you're using now, or might sell to someone eventually, then go ahead and use the coupon. Cashing in a coupon to get a free box you'll never have a use for is just wrong.
I have (2) TVs, neither of which have a digital tuner in them. I do have an old D* HD set-top that does OTA reception though... Anyway, I signed up for (2) coupons because who's to say that someday I won't cancel my Dish subscription and go OTA only ?

Regardless, I don't believe for a second that the gov't will run out of these coupons.

It might be wasteful but terms fraud and abuse clearly do NOT apply. As for who lobbied for it I suggest that you research that. If Echostar did so they did it behind the scenes but consumer groups worked to expand eligibility.

you may think that I have less right to the coupons than someone who does not have DBS or cable but that is your opinion---just as it is mine that I have equal entitlement but the regulation explicitly states that I have the right. There fore I suggest that terms like fraud and abuse not be used. those words have specific meanings and do not describe someone lawfully applying for the coupons. If someone findsa way to apply for more than two, or applies in the later round when eligibility will be restricted that isa another matter.

It might be wasteful but terms fraud and abuse clearly do NOT apply. As for who lobbied for it I suggest that you research that. If Echostar did so they did it behind the scenes but consumer groups worked to expand eligibility.

you may think that I have less right to the coupons than someone who does not have DBS or cable but that is your opinion---just as it is mine that I have equal entitlement but the regulation explicitly states that I have the right. There fore I suggest that terms like fraud and abuse not be used. those words have specific meanings and do not describe someone lawfully applying for the coupons. If someone findsa way to apply for more than two, or applies in the later round when eligibility will be restricted that isa another matter.
I see your point Chief. But just because something is legal doesn't make it right. These coupons have the potential to be a limited resource, and the people that need them most will be the last to apply.

If they can produce a converter for $20 and get $40 from the government by giving them away to anybody that applied for a coupon, that's just wrong... What do you bet that every Echostar employee has been instructed to apply for two coupons and use them?.
According to the CES reporting linked earlier in this thread, Echostar intends to sell these boxes at a loss to get their foot in the door.

I see your point Chief. But just because something is legal doesn't make it right. These coupons have the potential to be a limited resource, and the people that need them most will be the last to apply.

If you want to sday that you don't approve of it fine. just don't call it fraud or abuse. That si all i have said yo you. There are an awful lot of inappropraite and unsubstantiated charges being made in this thread.

census.gov website says there are 110 million households in the US. Estimates of OTA viewers range from 12-17%. That's 13 to 19 million households. There are 22 million coupons available in the 1st round. If you assume those OTA-only households have just (1) TV, that's cutting it close considering LOTS of people with cable and/or satellite are also taking those coupons.

In the 2nd round, they're offering 11.25 million coupons and you have to *prove* you don't have cable or satellite.

Contrary to what I said previously, maybe they will run out.... The majority of people who are OTA-only today, in my opinion, won't find out what's going on until it's too late.

I have Dish Network. I have 8 TV's in the house. I use an antenna on 5 of those. Those 5 will be useless for the way I use them now (to get OTA that dish doesn't carry). I will be required to purcchase 5 converters to continue using them the way I have in the past. To me the govt is short changing me (they are getting BILLIONS for the spectrum). I signed up for my two. Looks like I will only be required to purchase 3 additional ones.

The other 3 do have digital tuners in them already.

Voyagerbob

census.gov website says there are 110 million households in the US. Estimates of OTA viewers range from 12-17%. That's 13 to 19 million households. There are 22 million coupons available in the 1st round. If you assume those OTA-only households have just (1) TV, that's cutting it close considering LOTS of people with cable and/or satellite are also taking those coupons.

In the 2nd round, they're offering 11.25 million coupons and you have to *prove* you don't have cable or satellite.

Contrary to what I said previously, maybe they will run out.... The majority of people who are OTA-only today, in my opinion, won't find out what's going on until it's too late.

How many of those OTA users are HD users? Just becuase you're OTA doesnt mean it's analog.

How many of those OTA users are HD users? Just becuase you're OTA doesnt mean it's analog.
You do realize that you can only use the coupons on boxes that convert digital to analog (RF), not HD, right? These boxes are prohibited from being sold with HDMI, component or DVI. The intent is to let people who have used analog OTA with an analog set continue to receive OTA on the same set.

I guess what we need to know is how many households have nothing but analog TVs. After all the box serves no purpose to an OTA viewer with a digital tuner. As far as I know we don't have an answer to that. Just like we don't know if Echostar or Charlie Ergen lobbied for this, whether DISH is requiring or encouraging employees to buy the boxes , or what it costs to manufacture them.

BTW I am pretty sure that Darren knew that they cannot be used for HD receprion. his point --like mine--- is that many of the OTA sets are already digital or even HD. the stats don't tell the whole story.

The coupons are only good towards boxes that have (they must have) RF outputs. I think they can have composite (RCA) also but do not have to. They are allowed to have S-Video so long as they have RF. As noted, these boxes are for "older" TVs and people who use antennas for reception. If it has component, DVI, or HDMI, it's *off* the list. The TR-50 (the HD-capable DVR from E*) is NOT eligible. You can't even apply the coupon towards the cost of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)