I need best way to get 3 x HR23 MRV setup connected to the internet with a wired solution (pics of m

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rockstead

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Earth
I see a lot of different answers/solutions on the web, it seems people have this setup so differently.

I'm including some attachments of pics so you can see exactly what I have to make this as easy as possible.

1 pic is my swm8 switch
1 pic is the white deca adapter which has my feed from the swm8 and then gets plugged in to each reciever with ethernet.

This is the link of the kit I think I need to make this happen: Directcv Cinema Connection Kit DECABB1R0 http://www.google.ca/url?q=http://w...KSxj7g&usg=AFQjCNFpPsasXY7XbO7eo72cWCW49B5jtg

I'm not interested in a wireless solution, I want something stable. I do have ethernet jacks next to all my recievers which are fed Internet from my router and at first I thought the solution was as easy as just plugging in Internet fed ethernet cables to all the recievers?

I then googled it and if I understand correctly, the connection kit would feed from my swm8 directly to my router and since I already have the MRV setup, that would be it?

That would be better since I could use that ethernet connection for something else in the room, I also read one thread that said using both ethernet connections was known to slow down recievers.

Looking for your expert advice please

Attachments

• directv%20swm8.jpg
    directv%20swm8.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 211
  • Directv%20Deca.jpg
    Directv%20Deca.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 195
You've got it right. Thats a wired CCK. It feeds the internet connection from the router into the Coax. EDIT: Wired, because it's connected to the router via an ethernet cable rather than wirelessly.
The DECA's that are connected to the receivers (they should each have one, if not, directv will send them to you for free), allow the receiver to pick up the network communications off the coax cables.
I'm guessing you have Whole Home service right now, which is why you have the DECA's (Whole Home allows the receivers to share recordings).

If you don't have everything to make DECA work, you can go the all-Ethernet route with a decent Ethernet switch.

DECA's biggest selling point is that it doesn't require DIRECTV's professional installers to possess a low-voltage networking license to install it.

Ethernet mrv isn't supported by Directv, and you have to email the correct department with the correct message to get it activated.

Ethernet mrv isn't supported by Directv, and you have to email the correct department with the correct message to get it activated.

Okay thanks for the reply everyone.

So yes in my current MRV (non web connected), I do pay the $3/month fee, I obtained the Deca's myself and I remember I couldn't activate it online, I had to email Directv support.

So are you saying I don't need the CCK and I can just plug in an additional ethernet from my router to the receiver but that would cost an additional $3 on top of the $3/month I'm already paying for mrv and that the functionality has to be enabled again by Directv support?

Since it was confirmed above that the wired CCK kit I gave a link for is the right model for my application, I figure it would just be the most efficient way to do this and would allow me to use the ethernet jack I have in my receiver rooms for something else.

The CCK is the most efficient way.
If you connect them all via ethernet, you'll have a major hassle getting your whole home working again (I dont even know how its done).
With the CCK, you just hook it up, run the "Get connected" in the Menu, under "Network" and your done.. Internet (On Demand) and Whole Home will both work.

The ethernet based mrv is the same price, $3/month. Like I said, it's not supported by Directv. Any issues and you are on your own.

If you connect them all via ethernet, you'll have a major hassle getting your whole home working again (I dont even know how its done).
It is done by plugging everything in. No hand waving, no incantations, no ritual sacrifices and no additional equipment.

Last edited:
So are you saying I don't need the CCK and I can just plug in an additional ethernet from my router to the receiver but that would cost an additional $3 on top of the $3/month I'm already paying for mrv and that the functionality has to be enabled again by Directv support?
Apparently you gathered the wrong information from this exchange. If you choose to go DECA, you MUST have a CCK to connect to your conventional LAN unless you have a Genie. DECA and Ethernet cannot be active on the receivers at the same time.
Since it was confirmed above that the wired CCK kit I gave a link for is the right model for my application, I figure it would just be the most efficient way to do this and would allow me to use the ethernet jack I have in my receiver rooms for something else.
With the exception of the Genie, connecting the receivers via DECA does NOT allow use of the Ethernet ports for other things. It is one or the other. With the HR24, the Ethernet port is literally disabled when DECA is active and using the second Ethernet port on models that have one has never been recommended.

Apparently you gathered the wrong information from this exchange. If you choose to go DECA, you MUST have a CCK to connect to your conventional LAN unless you have a Genie. DECA and Ethernet cannot be active on the receivers at the same time.With the exception of the Genie, connecting the receivers via DECA does NOT allow use of the Ethernet ports for other things. It is one or the other. With the HR24, the Ethernet port is literally disabled when DECA is active and using the second Ethernet port on models that have one has never been recommended.

Thank you!

The CCK can be found pretty cheap, seems super simple since I've already had the Decas and MRV setup for a long time now.

So just CCK to a port on the SWM8 and then CCK to a Lan port on router and then I just run whatever connection setup on receivers.

Is that the best case scenario, does the shared Coax now brining in the satellite and now Internet, have as much bandwidth as what could be coming in on a stand alone cat5 and a 25Mbit internet connection?

Also I see there are now two versions of the Cinema connection Kit, any reason to get one over the other?

The newer model is the DECA2PRO
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DVK1ITI/?tag=satell01-20

The older and model I mostly see used is the Decabb1mr0-01
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HAOWLW/?tag=satell01-20

They both do the same thing. I personally like the one on amazon better, just because it is not so convluted when you set it next to a router. The other one is just Directv being cheap so they only have that version now. Basically it's a receiver DECA with a power supply.

By the way get rid of that old Dishpro adaptor in your one picture. No one wnats to see that here ... :)

They both do the same thing. I personally like the one on amazon better, just because it is not so convluted when you set it next to a router. The other one is just Directv being cheap so they only have that version now. Basically it's a receiver DECA with a power supply.

By the way get rid of that old Dishpro adaptor in your one picture. No one wnats to see that here ... :)

Thanks, I agree with your assesment and I ordered the older more router looking broadband connection kit. Although I do like the look of the newer Deca's, sleeker, smaller, black, compared to the white blocks. Anyhow nothing I would swamp my old ones out for, they are hidden anyways.

I'll have to remember to keep the dishpro switch out of any future pics!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)