I think L446 Broke my OTA Audio

Rescan did nothing for me. Ended up doing the FPR solution. Seemed to clear it up.

I really would try to call it in, but fear of getting some "script monkey"/CSR who knows nothing better than to read the freaking flow-chart doesn't sound like my idea of fun on a Thursday night. Sorry LER :(

Got it working...for a bit

Well I called and talked to technical support. The guy I talked to was not familiar with the issue. I had already done a FPR, a unplug reset, and re-scanned the channels with no luck. While he was reading through his troubleshooting "scripts" he mentioned about changing the priority of the channels. I went to System Setup-Local Channels-Chan Display. Here I selected Disable under Local Sat Channels and hit Done. There was a message "You will lose timers on local or DishHD channels. Do you really want to change channel display?" I selected cancel as I did not want to lose my timers. I went back to the channel missing the audio and it was back. I walked the tech support guy through what I did and when I was done the audio was gone again. I replicated it one more time and it was back. It seemed to stay until my first recording started and now it is gone and I can't get it back :(

Hope that helps somebody...

Add me too. Didn't notice until tonight. Just got a new 722 hooked up last night. At first I thought I might have a bad receiver until I saw this thread.

Edit: What hours are the higher level takes on the phones?

I have a 722 and since lastnight my OTA recordings lost audio. It's recording one show and not recording another show's audio. in/out.
Audio is fine when I'm watching but whenever I try to watch what I recorded OTA no audio.
I called CSR and they told me if nothing on my sat channels isn't going out they can't help me, but I hope the same thing doesn't happen when it's time
to record cause I've done everything I could but I don't know if the problem is solved it works now....

Last edited:
It was a blissful 30 days.......

My 722 is hosed.

Well....seems OTA isn't the only thing buggered up. I lost all satellite channels...sort of. Picture freezes, sound goes bye-bye. Then, screen goes black and up comes the smart card error.

On the phone with tech support....wow, is that a treat or what. Finally, on 4th call back, I got a tech that acknowledged the L446 soft upgrade has screwed up smartcards. They zapped the box...no go.

5th call back after waiting for the required 15-20 minutes and they have determined the box is hosed and they'll send me a new one.

Yaaaaaaaay! But wait!!!!! "Sir, your replacement receiver should arrive in 3-5 business days." Whaaaaaaaaat!!!!???? Haven't these people heard of Overnight Red? For crying out loud.

Yes, cable tv is expensive with crappy reception, but at least when you had equipment problems, you could go to the office and exchange the next day!

17 months left on a 18 month contract.....then I'm kickin' these clowns to the curb.

:mad:

I previously stated I had no problem with OTA audio and had 446 on both my 622 & 722. WRONG!:eek: Only the 722 has 446 and I have no audio on Fox OTA. It's fine on the 622, which still has 445. :mad: I'll send tech support an email, can't bear the thought of the phone call merry-go-round!

Ed

I lost audio on one of my OTA channels, too. This is ridiculous. How many times have they screwed things up with their software upgrades?? And why did they even bother with such a terrible VOD offering? Have they not seen what D* is doing? They should downgrade to L445 and go back to the drawing board on thier VOD. Seriously.

I tried changing antennas again, this time it didn't work. and now more of my OTA stations don't have audio.

then i read your question to my post asking if i changed antennas WHILE tuned into the OTA station. I DID.

just tuned into OTA station w/ no audio, unplugged antenna, lost signal, plugged antenna back in and YUP audio works. weird.

Their best solution at this point is to put back L4.45 on all receivers since nobody wants DishOnline and it broke the OTA reception on some receivers. Geesh, it seems that we go through this crap everytime they add a new feature.

I'll keep monitoring for new or should I say previous software updates and post if anything changes.

My 722 @446 now has two OTA's with no audio. Fortunately they are channels I don't watch much. (CW and 24hr local weather). I'd be hot if I lost it on FOX, CBS or NBC as I'd then have silent HD NFL games.

I'll send tech support an email, can't bear the thought of the phone call merry-go-round!
Ed
Whats the best email to use for Tech Support and I'll do the same.

Well, I signed up for an 18 month contract two weeks ago, got the ViP-722 last Saturday and Wednesday the audio stopped working! Call Dish last night, stepped up to a Stupervisor and can NOT beleive the lack of support. She "guaranteed" me that it would be "fixed" within a month. I asked her what I would get if it wasn't? She said I would get nothing. I said your "guarantee" is not work anything then is it?

What a joke. I am considering cancelling Dish, but will probably stick it out. I emailed dish tech support this morning....

This SUCKS!!!

I went to dishnetwork.com and tried to use the live chat. What a joke. They went through the hi-tech reboot stuff which I told 'em had already been done, ya-da-ya-daya-da, even though I repeatly told 'em the problem was only on my 722 with L446 software, my 622 with L445 was fine. Then they tell me they have no record of me even having a 722!!??:mad: Wonder what they charged me $199 upfront for 6/8 weeks ago?:rolleyes: After a lot of frustration I aske 'em the 3rd time to just PLEASE report the problem that there were multiple reports of this here and ended the chat. Now I wouldn't be at all surprised if they shut the damned thing off completely.
Ahhh, Dish Network customer service..............unbelievable.

Ed

What a freakin' mess. I agree with Randall, back it out to 445 and go back to the drawing board on 446.

I don't have OTA (big hills to my N/NE/NW), so Seattle OTA is out of the question, but since L446, I've experienced 2 SBROD events (Screaming Black Reboot of Death), lip-sync issues that I'ver never had before on lots various channels (HD and SD alike) and video break-up (macro-blocking, pixelization, etc) at random times.

Tried an FPR and that seems to have fixed most of the lip-sync issues (KTLA still has issues - I'm starting to think it's with KTLA...I have many relatives in the San Diego area and so have been watching a lot of KTLA morning news this week).

Anyway, I tried reporting these issues to tech support 3 times and couldn't get past a 1st level CSR that knew about the 446 problem (none of them knew about it) and none of them would let me talk to a 2nd level tech without going through all their scripted hoops.

So, I tried LER...

No audio from OTA CW on recorded smallville, When I tryed to watch supernatural that was in the middle of recording all I got was a freeze frame and no audio, so I stopped the rec and checked other sat channel and other OTA seemed fine. I played back SN the video was good no audio.

Wow. I signed up for Dish last week and now have no audio from my OTA recordings. The CW is caput and smallville is without audio. Called Dish Network, they never really gave me the run around, but there solution is not what I wanted to hear. They told me that the only solution to the problem at the moment is to send me a new 722 receiver. I accepted, but this cannot be th final solution as they would have to send a box to ALOT of subscribers. They need to recode L446 ASAP and re-issue.

Flakey Audio

Just a note for those who post that their audio has returned. My experience with loss of OTA audio since the update is that it's inconsistent. Sometimes I get audio on all OTA, sometimes on none, sometimes on non-HD only. My experience is that it's Flakey.

If anyone hears news from Dish please post an update here.

I assume this is on their radar by now. I've reported it to a senior tech who forwarded it along with a link to this thread to Dish engineering. I've also complained to support via email.

A replacement 722 is on the way but I'd like to avoid hooking it up since I'd have to customize my settings all over again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)