OTA crazy

W6k

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 30, 2021
Fresno, ca
I supply my locals from a roof top antenna and have for over a year on my Hopper 3. Now all the locals are bizarre. They begin OK but after a few minutes the dialog is gone, the volume goes up and down, music is heard and other unidentifiable weird stuff. Fortunately, my TV has a tuner so I can receive all my locals on my TV. What could cause this other than an OTA adaper gone nuts? Anyone experience anything like this?

I supply my locals from a roof top antenna and have for over a year on my Hopper 3. Now all the locals are bizarre. They begin OK but after a few minutes the dialog is gone, the volume goes up and down, music is heard and other unidentifiable weird stuff. Fortunately, my TV has a tuner so I can receive all my locals on my TV. What could cause this other than an OTA adaper gone nuts? Anyone experience anything like this?
So, are you using a splitter (sound like you are) to TV? Have you tried a direct run to the H3? Could be a bad spitter or cable from it.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I get the odd volume on OTA pretty frequently.

Did you reboot the receiver? I would think it's either the receiver or the tuner. Rebooting the receiver should restart both of them. You could reseat the tuner and leave the receiver on.

I'm guessing it's not a cable issue. That would explain channel pixelization and drop out, not changing volume and random music.

I replaced the spitter without any change. I find it very odd that the headphones work perfectly, while the speakers are garbage. I would blame the amp except it works fine on non OTA channels. I can access the locals from my TV which also drives the amp but less convenient to switch to the TV when watching Dish. The OTA adpater for the H3 may be the problem, but at $45 I am reluctant to oreder a niew one only to find out it isnt the problem.