I will be very happy on 10/02/08

I already have the 102 HD channel offering here in NY and indeed it is most impressive and the PQ is excellent. I had this installed on one of my HDTVS.

I could never give up DirecTV though, at least until FiOS gets some decent sports offerings. They are sorely lacking in sports.

I already have the 102 HD channel offering here in NY and indeed it is most impressive and the PQ is excellent. I had this installed on one of my HDTVS.
Hey Scobuck i am thinking about switching to Fios now that they offer 100 HD channels here in NYC, wondering you say the PQ is excellent, compared to Directv's HD is Fios a Bit better ???

I heard the PQ on FiOS is slightly better than the satellite offerings. While I haven't seen it with my own 2 eyes, it's just something I've heard.

I just can't give up DTV until someone else has Hotpass or something similar.

DirecTv VS Fios HD

I have bothe services on my 40" Samsung. I must say the picture quality on Fios is slightly sharper than Directv's. Especially with the premium channels you see more detail since the signal is not compressed like Directv has to. I should get a better opinion on 10/08/08 thats when Fios will expand my HD offerings here in SoCal.

I heard the PQ on FiOS is slightly better than the satellite offerings. While I haven't seen it with my own 2 eyes, it's just something I've heard.

I just can't give up DTV until someone else has Hotpass or something similar.

I have 3 friends that just went over to FIOS and they all said that without question FIOS is better on HD and dramatically better on the SD channels!

DirecTv VS Fios HD

I have bothe services on my 40" Samsung. I must say the picture quality on Fios is slightly sharper than Directv's. Especially with the premium channels you see more detail since the signal is not compressed like Directv has to. I should get a better opinion on 10/08/08 thats when Fios will expand my HD offerings here in SoCal.

I pay for two providers myself (DirecTV and BHN, hopefully DirecTV and FIOS sooner than later), but I couldn't imagine double-paying for premiums. Do you get the full package on each?

Here's the list of premiums available on fios in many markets (very soon to be all markets):

SD Channels:

Starz
Starz West
Starz Edge
Starz Edge West
Starz in Black
Starz Kids & Family
Starz Cinema
Starz Comedy
Encore
Encore West
Encore Love
Encore Love West
Encore Westerns
Encore Westerns West
Encore Mystery
Encore Mystery West
Encore Drama
Encore Drama West
Encore Action
Encore Action West
Encore-WAM!
Showtime
Showtime West
Showtime Showcase
Showtime Showcase West
Showtime 2
Showtime 2 West
Showtime Beyond
Showtime Beyond West
Showtime Extreme
Showtime Extreme West
Showtime Women
Showtime Women West
Showtime Next
Showtime Next West
Showtime Family Zone
Showtime Family Zone West
The Movie Channel
The Movie Channel West
The Movie Channel Xtra
The Movie Channel Xtra West
Flix
Flix West
Sundance
Independent Film Channel
HBO
HBO West
HBO 2
HBO 2 West
HBO Signature
HBO Signature West
HBO Family
HBO Family West
HBO Comedy
HBO Comedy West
HBO Zone
HBO Zone West
HBO Latino
HBO Latino West
Cinemax
Cinemax West
More Max
More Max West
Action Max
Action Max West
Thriller Max
Thriller Max West
WMAX
At Max
Five Star Max
OuterMax

Now the HD:

Starz HDTV
Starz Edge HD
Starz Kids & Family HD
Starz Comedy HD
Showtime HDTV
Showtime HDTV West
Showtime Showcase HD
Showtime Showcase HD West
Showtime 2 HD
Showtime 2 HD West
Showtime Extreme HD
Showtime Extreme HD West
TMC HDTV
The Movie Channel HD West
The Movie Channel Xtra HD
The Movie Channel Xtra HD West
HBO HDTV
HBO HD [West]
HBO 2 HD
HBO 2 HD [West]
HBO Signature HD
HBO Signature HD West
HBO Family HD
HBO Family HD West
HBO Comedy HD
HBO Comedy HD West
HBO Zone HD
HBO Zone HD West
HBO Latino HD East
HBO Latino HD West
Cinemax HDTV
Cinemax HD [West]
More Max HD [East]
More Max HD [West]
Action Max HD [East]
Action Max HD [West]
Thriller Max HD [East]
Thriller Max HD [West]
WMAX HD
At Max HD
Five Star Max HD
OuterMax HD

Just to clarify - all the SD channels are available in all markets. Verizon is going through this transition to add a bunch of channels. In many of the markets already transitioned, all of these HD channels are already available as well. Very soon, all markets will have all these HD channels.

Here's the list of premiums available on fios in many markets (very soon to be all markets):

SD Channels:

Starz
Starz West
Starz Edge
Starz Edge West
Starz in Black
Starz Kids & Family
Starz Cinema
Starz Comedy
Encore
Encore West
Encore Love
Encore Love West
Encore Westerns
Encore Westerns West
Encore Mystery
Encore Mystery West
Encore Drama
Encore Drama West
Encore Action
Encore Action West
Encore-WAM!
Showtime
Showtime West
Showtime Showcase
Showtime Showcase West
Showtime 2
Showtime 2 West
Showtime Beyond
Showtime Beyond West
Showtime Extreme
Showtime Extreme West
Showtime Women
Showtime Women West
Showtime Next
Showtime Next West
Showtime Family Zone
Showtime Family Zone West
The Movie Channel
The Movie Channel West
The Movie Channel Xtra
The Movie Channel Xtra West
Flix
Flix West
Sundance
Independent Film Channel
HBO
HBO West
HBO 2
HBO 2 West
HBO Signature
HBO Signature West
HBO Family
HBO Family West
HBO Comedy
HBO Comedy West
HBO Zone
HBO Zone West
HBO Latino
HBO Latino West
Cinemax
Cinemax West
More Max
More Max West
Action Max
Action Max West
Thriller Max
Thriller Max West
WMAX
At Max
Five Star Max
OuterMax

Now the HD:

Starz HDTV
Starz Edge HD
Starz Kids & Family HD
Starz Comedy HD
Showtime HDTV
Showtime HDTV West
Showtime Showcase HD
Showtime Showcase HD West
Showtime 2 HD
Showtime 2 HD West
Showtime Extreme HD
Showtime Extreme HD West
TMC HDTV
The Movie Channel HD West
The Movie Channel Xtra HD
The Movie Channel Xtra HD West
HBO HDTV
HBO HD [West]
HBO 2 HD
HBO 2 HD [West]
HBO Signature HD
HBO Signature HD West
HBO Family HD
HBO Family HD West
HBO Comedy HD
HBO Comedy HD West
HBO Zone HD
HBO Zone HD West
HBO Latino HD East
HBO Latino HD West
Cinemax HDTV
Cinemax HD [West]
More Max HD [East]
More Max HD [West]
Action Max HD [East]
Action Max HD [West]
Thriller Max HD [East]
Thriller Max HD [West]
WMAX HD
At Max HD
Five Star Max HD
OuterMax HD

Just to clarify - all the SD channels are available in all markets. Verizon is going through this transition to add a bunch of channels. In many of the markets already transitioned, all of these HD channels are already available as well. Very soon, all markets will have all these HD channels.

Yeah, this is a big F U to Brighthouse Networks in the Tampa market. They should hide under a rock. The only premium HD they have is the flagship HBO and Showtimes. Not even the flagships of TMC, Starz, Encore, or Max. They have a lot to be ashamed of come Oct 2 when Tampa FIOS gets all these premiums. BHN is really not doing enough, fast enough.

I am mad at DirecTV too for only giving us 4 of the 26 HBO/Max HD channels. They do better with the Showtimes and Starz, but it is sick the way they neglect the HBO suite.

I think I'll be making the switch to FIOS from BHN and then biting the bullet and finishing out my contract with DirecTV. I am happy with them for the most part but look at this FIOS lineup. It is a no-brainer.

Yeah, this is a big F U to Brighthouse Networks in the Tampa market. They should hide under a rock. The only premium HD they have is the flagship HBO and Showtimes. Not even the flagships of TMC, Starz, Encore, or Max. They have a lot to be ashamed of come Oct 2 when Tampa FIOS gets all these premiums. BHN is really not doing enough, fast enough.

I am mad at DirecTV too for only giving us 4 of the 26 HBO/Max HD channels. They do better with the Showtimes and Starz, but it is sick the way they neglect the HBO suite.

I think I'll be making the switch to FIOS from BHN and then biting the bullet and finishing out my contract with DirecTV. I am happy with them for the most part but look at this FIOS lineup. It is a no-brainer.

There's something else, too. We here in the Philly market got transitioned this past week (to get the first slate of new HD channels). We're currently up to 87 HD channels - and there are 15 more coming. The thing is, and I thought it was just me until I read similar postings on other forums, I can swear the PQ looks better since the transition. The Starz HD channels look flat out impressive. I don't get HBO or Cinemax so I can't comment on those. Even some of the SD channels look sharper.

The only thing that FiOS is missing right now:

- HD PPV - granted they have a bit on HD VOD for movies, but for PPV events, they have yet to turn on an HD PPV feed.

- Specialty sports packages - they're supposed to get MLB EI and NHL CI soon, but no word when. About the only one they offer is Setanta.

This is the Baltimore, MD lineup becoming effective 9/30,... a few days away. Looks like the Gulf side of Florida is getting Way More HD channels than we are, especially when it comes to premium Movies. Hope Verizon has plans to catch us up.

http://www22.verizon.com/NROneRetai...DC-1E39-41DA-89D7-5805D6DBFB7D/0/BALT_PFN.pdf

All markets are slated to have the same national HD channels by end of the year (actually I keep hearing that it's going to happen some time in October). As for the premiums, the SE PA lineup didn't have all the premium HD channels listed in their channel line-up initially either, but we still got them. I'm betting you'll get 50 - 55 new HD channels next week - everything but the 15 that every market (outside of NY and NNJ) are waiting on - primarily the Fox channels (FNC HD, FBC HD, FX HD) and the ABC Channels (ABC Family, ESPN News, Disney, Toon Disney), plus a handful of others.

All markets are slated to have the same national HD channels by end of the year (actually I keep hearing that it's going to happen some time in October). As for the premiums, the SE PA lineup didn't have all the premium HD channels listed in their channel line-up initially either, but we still got them. I'm betting you'll get 50 - 55 new HD channels next week - everything but the 15 that every market (outside of NY and NNJ) are waiting on - primarily the Fox channels (FNC HD, FBC HD, FX HD) and the ABC Channels (ABC Family, ESPN News, Disney, Toon Disney), plus a handful of others.

Fox News and Fox Business, if not the other Fox channels (don't know without pulling up the PDF off the top of my head) will be added to the Tampa market Oct 7.

Welp,... the installer just left about an hour ago, and boy do I have some questions. A am so glad I am on the eve of this major upgrade to the channel line-up. As it stands now, I only have 17 HD channels other than the locals and only ONE HD channel for HBO, Cinemax, Showtime and Starz respectively. Not competitive at all compared to DirecTV. But the line-up scheduled to hit on the 30th isn't that bad,... but could be better, especially after seeing the line-up posted from Florida's Gulf Coast.

Gonna go use the search engine to see if I can find some answers to two burning questions I have,... 1. I'm not getting any 5.1 option in the audio section, only getting mono, stereo & surround, and 2. I can't figure out how to get my vertical safety bars on the screen when viewing SD programming. Those bars have saved me from burn-in so far and I don't want to take the risk. Oh,... and BTW, I hate stretched formatting. Makes me sea-sick!

FIOS

only ONE HD channel for HBO, Cinemax, Showtime and Starz respectively.

That is better than the crummy HBO and Showtime offered by BHN, with no Cinemax and Starz, or TMC in HD. Yeah, just wait until you get nearly ALL the premiums available with FIOS. I don't see BHN doing that anytime soon.

FIOS

That is better than the crummy HBO and Showtime offered by BHN, with no Cinemax and Starz, or TMC in HD. Yeah, just wait until you get nearly ALL the premiums available with FIOS. I don't see BHN doing that anytime soon.

Well today we here in Baltimore, MD got our additional HD channels,.... not bad. Glad to see Sci-fi and CNN in HD, and a whole lot more Premium Movie HD's. Wished Spike and Speed had been in the update. Maybe next round,... whenever that will be.

I had Dish for 4 years and installed Fios TV last week. Kept Dish for a few days to compare side-by-side. Picture quality on Fios is definitely better on both my HDTVs (60 inch Sony SXRD SBR2 and 50 inch Pioneer Kuro).

- Colors on Dish look washed out and dirty compared to rich smooth colors on Fios.
- HD channels on Fios look sharper. Most of SD channels look much better on Fios which makes them watchable.
- Premium channels on Fios when showing new movies often look almost as good as Blu-ray. "Wow" is the word I still use often. Dish never was that good.
- Sports on Fios is amazing. Football games looked much sharper than OTR or local HD broadcast on Dish (did I mention the colors?)

Not everything is ideal on Fios, though. On new HD movie channels, macroblocking in fast scenes is more visible than on Dish. According to dslreports, new premuim HD channels transmit in mpeg4, while Fios has to use mpeg2 due to STB limitations and apparently they introduce macroblocking during mpeg4 to mpeg2 conversion.

Hopefully, this macrobolocking problem would be solved sooner or later. But even with this problem, Fios wins hands down on overall quality and channel selection.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)