If Analog is good, will Digital be as well

beartooth

Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
I have another thread going about my antenna questions, but I was just curious, can I expect the digital signal to be somewhat compariable to what I see with analog? In other words, will those digital channels in the mid-uhf be awesome of the analog ones are currently awesome?

Call me Cpt. Awesome :)

Digital broadcast TV has different power levels from Analog also the ATSC video will either be on or off. You might have a problem with "rain fading" you can use an old Voom receiver that has a signal to noise ratio meter built in to aim the antenna better than a signal bar with that meter you can have a signal of 60 and still get ATSC video (on). What I normally do is find the antenna farm then figure out what station has the weakest signal then fine tune the antenna to that station.

Last edited:
I have another thread going about my antenna questions, but I was just curious, can I expect the digital signal to be somewhat compariable to what I see with analog? In other words, will those digital channels in the mid-uhf be awesome of the analog ones are currently awesome?

Digital stations are supposed to at least replicate the analog coverage area. However, there are still stations operating their digital channels at low power.

I don't know where you got the idea that digital channels are necessarily in mid-uhf, they can be any on the dial from 2-69 (2-51 after 2009).

Many digital stations now aren't operating at full power like the analog stations are, and they may not until analog is turned off. When they do operate at full power, digital reception is generally much better than analog at the same distance. The digital channels in the low VHF range (2-7) are going to be problematic for many users, since they may require a separate antenna.

Thanks all. We'll see how it turns out. I already have a vhf/uhf antenna (big RS version), so I should be okay if I can get decent signal. I also have the rotor to pinpoint them.

Most of the stations here are lower power, but they are beginning to come online with full power, ABC is coming online this week, whoo whoo!

I'm hopeful at least on the main stations I can get DTV at the same level I get analog on, if so, FOX is the only one I won't be able to get, but based on most of the content there, that doesn't hurt my feelings too much.

There qwon't be whole lot of low VHF -but perhaps some. here in Dc Ch.49 (MTV tres) may move to Ch 6 or Ch 2. we also have a licensed low power station at six now---it is not broadcasting. I am not sure what happens there.

Theoretically digital should beat analog but until you try you never know.

The only major difference is with analog, if you have ghosts (multi-phase) you have a crappy picture. With digital, if you have multiphase, you get ZIP! Nada! Zilch! Nothing! It's as if you were getting no signal.

I have one station that reads 100% signal but the channel sometimes cuts out on me because the wind blows and moves tree leaves or a plane files low overhead causing multi-phase. On the analog TV the picture would just shift and little.

See ya
Tony

Many digital stations now aren't operating at full power like the analog stations are, and they may not until analog is turned off. When they do operate at full power, digital reception is generally much better than analog at the same distance. The digital channels in the low VHF range (2-7) are going to be problematic for many users, since they may require a separate antenna.
I just want to make sure I understand this correctly. One of our local stations is running its digital signal at low power. Eventually they will turn up the power on that signal???

Also, is there someone (or somewhere) to find out what their timetable would be for when they plan to up the power???

Thanks,
Geoff

I just want to make sure I understand this correctly. One of our local stations is running its digital signal at low power. Eventually they will turn up the power on that signal???

Also, is there someone (or somewhere) to find out what their timetable would be for when they plan to up the power???

Thanks,
Geoff
I guess the answer is: it depends. If the station was licensed as a full power station, then yes, they will need to go full power. If the station was licensed as a low power station or a translator, then no.

See FCC notice here.

I find the dig. chs. to be very crispy and vivid vs. analog. You're talking about 2 different "animals". As far as I'm concerned analog doesn't hold a candle to a HD dig. picture.

You can check the FCC TV Database Query to see if the station has a construction permit (CP or CP MOD) make sure to change the "Service" to one of the Digital types or you will see everything.

Link: TV Database Query
When I look up our station (the one I am most concerned with), I don't see anything that shows about construction permit. If I don't specify the Digital Types, I see 2 entries (one for analog at an ERP of 100, and one for digital at an ERP of 6.9). Where would I see something about the Construction Permit???

Geoff

I find my digital to be a lot better than analog and I pick up more stations. There are really just 4 analog stations that I receive but I receive 14 digital. Some are like 6.1, 6.2, 6.3 but others are just new stations that I did not receive before.

When I look up our station (the one I am most concerned with), I don't see anything that shows about construction permit. If I don't specify the Digital Types, I see 2 entries (one for analog at an ERP of 100, and one for digital at an ERP of 6.9). Where would I see something about the Construction Permit???

Geoff

You need to look under the "Status", it normally says "LIC" it would say "CP" or "CP MOD" if they were planning on upgrading.

Digital is a euphemism for compromised. That being said, digital is the only way to get HD programming.

How your analog stations turn out after the conversion depends largely on how many channels they stack up. If they run an HD channel and two or more SD channels, they will all look blurry.

my two cents...try using a pad to attenuate the signal, try for a reading in the high eighties not 95/100. Some tuners will overload on strong signal and not scan all the channels. I use a 3-6 pad all the time, if I don't, two very high power channels will be skippid on the setup scan....the hisense tuner does a global scan then you can use the 'channel' scan to pick-up any missing channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)