I'm not paying for the new HD DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.
vurbano said:
I think everyone thats ever looked at a newspaper knows that. But this is not a car.

In most cases (even real estate) you cannot get back what you pay for it immediately after the sale.

Why not a car? That's what most people would have lease experience with when complaining about upfront fees.

You want to talk about renting a house? Then you have first and last month rent, security deposit and deposits for utilities. Plus, you have expenses of things you need to get done at the house that don't leave with you at the end of the lease.

So again, regardless of object, upfront money that you do not recoup on a lease is not unheard of.

You know, instead of all the complaining, why not discuss more important things, like how well it works, or when the new birds go up, or something.

We either will pay what they want, or we won't. Thats the beauty of capitalism. Remember, its not like this is a monopoly and this is the only company with HD content.

When my water bill comes, I have no choice. I only can buy water piped to my house from the county water service. With this, I have a choice. And I like DirecTV so I choose to keep paying and using it. I have Comcast for cable internet, and D* for tv content.

If you really want to be "thrifty" spend about $250 on FTA stuff and go that route. :)

I read through these posts daily and walk away asking myself why are these people DTV customers. If they dislike the service and the prices and fees they pay, wouldn't they all be so much happier in life with Dish or cable where there never any issues, compliants or problems? These forums are really something else.

OK. You are talking about DN's HD DVR. To start, DN delayed availability of that unit after releasing it to the press due to operational defects. No retailer could even order it as DN recalled it and revamped it. Thats OK. Nobody DTV or DN offers local in HD. However, their HD receivers will scan available channels from an off-air antenna connected to the unit and add the analog and digital channels to your guide. As for being unhappy, you have 72 hours per DishNetwork to change your equipment config. If you raise hell with "customer escalations" or "customer escalation team" at Dish, you can pay the difference and upgrade to whatever more expensive receiver. Keep in mind that DN will call a retailer, up to 180 days, (less to be realistic) and grant them an exemption which will credit them on the equipment configuration you demand. Legit bitches due to lack of equipment by the retailer, inaccurate sales information, or other misconceptions will be handled by that department. I have personally taken many calls by Dish Nets "Executive Office". So if you are a new customer, understand that the retailer has an obligation to take care of you. You must pay for high end equipment, whatever that might be, but you can still change your configuration.
Good Luck. Tom
For more info on broadcast HD, send me a message.

TommyTDFVC said:
OK. You are talking about DN's HD DVR. To start, DN delayed availability of that unit after releasing it to the press due to operational defects. No retailer could even order it as DN recalled it and revamped it. Thats OK. Nobody DTV or DN offers local in HD. However, their HD receivers will scan available channels from an off-air antenna connected to the unit and add the analog and digital channels to your guide. As for being unhappy, you have 72 hours per DishNetwork to change your equipment config. If you raise hell with "customer escalations" or "customer escalation team" at Dish, you can pay the difference and upgrade to whatever more expensive receiver. Keep in mind that DN will call a retailer, up to 180 days, (less to be realistic) and grant them an exemption which will credit them on the equipment configuration you demand. Legit bitches due to lack of equipment by the retailer, inaccurate sales information, or other misconceptions will be handled by that department. I have personally taken many calls by Dish Nets "Executive Office". So if you are a new customer, understand that the retailer has an obligation to take care of you. You must pay for high end equipment, whatever that might be, but you can still change your configuration.
Good Luck. Tom
For more info on broadcast HD, send me a message.

Both E* and D* offer locals in HD Thats how I get mine.:confused:

Since they renewed their contract with Tivo for 3 more years, Why don't you all save 2 bucks a week for the next 3 years and it won't be so big a impact on your lifestyle. Or go to another provider and pay alot more.

It's nice to see people have a complete understanding of the D* business model. (Not that D* does, based on how they're bleeding with Sunday Ticket).

So, the argument is that the DVR must be vastly more costly than $299 to $399 and we should all be very thankful for D* for being kind enough to lease us one?

Horse hockey.

Let us set aside the cost of customer acquisition and the profit margin D* makes from your programming packages, the sports stuff and so on (all of which, btw, is the key part of the revenue stream — or why an XBox 360 is only $399, when its parts/software are probably closer to $500 in costs).

I have a pretty good idea of the cost of the components involved — the tuner chip, the drive and MPEG-4 chip and it's ballpark for $300. So, basically, if you "lease" an HR-20, you're largely covering their build costs right then and there or will after the first month's bill is paid. So, yes, it's a scam. If Dell can sell a PC with arguably more chips and elements for $299, an HD PVR for the same price is very doable.

It is any worse than what cable does? No.

Me, I'm waiting to see a couple of things: when/if FIOS (and yes, I have the Internet service already) gets a deal for the pro sports packages (other than the NFL) and/or when D* forces me to switch to MPEG-4, new dish, new receivers. I've been a customer since 1996 — not to mention a product reviewer — and as much as I'll miss about half of my NY Giants' games, I'll be just fine if I have to pull the plug once and for all on D* and switch to Verizon.

But if I do stay, I'm not paying $299 or $399 for an HDR. Considering the cost of churn — I seriously doubt they'd let me cancel over that issue.

Of course, those of you willing to happily bend down before Uncle Rupert's throne and, uh, accept it like good school boys, you're all entitled. I'm sure the rest of us can take up a collection for a tin of Vaseline.:hatsoff:

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the eloquent comments. But, umm , they are horse puckey.
Hey, be happy that you are getting FIOS where you are, it seems that will solve any and all of your issues.

I am not getting rid of my HR10's and I dont mind paying a few hundered to NOT have an installer come to my house. I got the second HR10 for free so even though I know I could problably call retention and get another one discounted, I just dont want to deal with an installer again. I got a very complex configuration and I "moved" my service address so for me I dont mind paying $300 this time.

I really didnt specify my reasoning very well on why I don't plan on purchasing the new HD DVR for 300.00 . Also, just so you know, I am not asking that D* give away there items for free. Thats not my thinking here. Here is the breakdown of the story:

I just upgraded to the 5LNB dish, HD DVR, and H20 receiver. In this package, I paid 200 for the HD DVR ( doesnt receive locals or RSN's in HD ) . Now, they are starting to introduce the new HD DVR that is compatible with the new dish, etc. Why would I pay another 300.00 for another DVR when the new DVR they introduced makes my old one worthless. Sure, I can still use it, but again , it doesnt get locals or RSN's in HD so therefore the average customer will want the HD DVR that does work with locals, RSN's...

What gives directv the right to nail me in the a** on one DVR, then now introduce one that actually should of been sold to me in the first place for another 300. One that gets your locals and RSN's in HD and can record in HD. I wanted that in the first place. Thats the reason I upgraded to the HD equipment.

If you hit me for 200, now want 300 on another receiver you will know I will want, well, Bad Business. Double Dipping. If D* really wanted to keep there customers, then they would offer this new DVR to the customers that currently paid for and have a HD DVR right now at no cost or a low low price.

Thats my thinking. So when it finally comes around, I'll be calling D* up and stating my case. Thats the difference between myself and people like FlyingJ. I'll speak up and state what I believe until the credit is given. People like FlyingJ will continue to yawn and lose 300 when in reality, with one call they could of saved there own $$$.

I've been a customer since 98 , and have been consistently paying around 100/mo ( includes NBA, NFL, and MLB subscriptions ) to D*. If they want to keep me, well, they don't really have a choice. Right is Right. Wrong is Wrong. Double Dipping is wrong my friends. Speak up.

I'll keep you updated on what happens.

ok. This is not a car, or real estate, or a boat, or a grapefruit, or a dog bone, or a pretzel, or a fish tank, or anything other than a piece of equipment to get a satellite signal. When you sign up as a new sub you get a FREE h20, with rebate right? robert sells at http://www.valueelectronics.com/ and are free for new subs.

When I called to get an H20 (actually 2) so I could get an RSN in HD in mpeg 4 they wanted to charge me $99 per unit. I have been with D* since 1998, have 1 HDDVR, 1 SD DVR, 2 HD H20's, 2 HD older boxes, and 1 reg SD box from like 87' i use for music. I sub to HBO, Cinemax, the Plus pack, ST, HD, and locals. I pay my bill each month on time and get the "your on the 'A'-list" when I call them on a recording as I am sure many of you all do also. A simple callback to D* got the fee(s) waived and I have no problem at all with the 2 year commitment, everyone won. I understand it is a leased piece of equipment and if I was to ever cancel it would go back.

Whoever had the comment about saving $2 for 3 years or whatever, it is not about the money, it is about the principal. When D* wanted to charge an extra $100 for Superfan and HD last season when it was included with the ST the season before, the outcry was deafening. So why is it when D* basically changes their business model to have the subs with HD programming absorb a much more significant upfront cost in order to get the new HD DVR which can record mpeg-4 some think we should be grateful to D* for allowing us to get the equipment at a "reduced cost" from the MSRP. They did this becasue the HD "crowd" generally is a more affluent, disposable income heavy demographic, which has the ability to absorb to cost. Does not mean the cost is justified. I understand everything cost money...new sats, boxes, etc..I won a business....but is also does not mean just because D* has decided to chart one course for distribution of the HR20, the course is the best one and should be blindly accepted. :eureka
Where I live I have no need for the HR20 yet as Madison locals come in beautifully OTA and the RSN Fox Sports - North (WI) has no HD sports and no other national HD are available in mpeg4 exclusively, but, it is the principal why I have just spent 30 minutes typing this lol :(

now i am out of beer and off to the liquor store :hungry:

Madtown,

Its funny how a simple " call " does wonders. Especially for your wallet.

Well bbd24, my point for the yawn etc... was not for anybody that already had the HR10-250. It was for those complaining about the costs for the new DVRor the fact that it is leased, it is, everyone should just get use to it.. Nobody expects or has stated that those of us with the HR10-250 will be charged the full price for the new DVR. I have it noted on my account that I will get the upgrade free. When someone makes a statement that "I wont....." it's like well OK, whatever. You are hilarious stating that I am paying and you are going to get you due. Think before you talk. If you knew what you were doing you wouldn't have "just upgraded" if you knew you wanted your HD locals.

Last edited:
bbd24 said:
I really didnt specify my reasoning very well on why I don't plan on purchasing the new HD DVR for 300.00 . Also, just so you know, I am not asking that D* give away there items for free. Thats not my thinking here. Here is the breakdown of the story:

I just upgraded to the 5LNB dish, HD DVR, and H20 receiver. In this package, I paid 200 for the HD DVR ( doesnt receive locals or RSN's in HD ) . Now, they are starting to introduce the new HD DVR that is compatible with the new dish, etc. Why would I pay another 300.00 for another DVR when the new DVR they introduced makes my old one worthless. Sure, I can still use it, but again , it doesnt get locals or RSN's in HD so therefore the average customer will want the HD DVR that does work with locals, RSN's...

What gives directv the right to nail me in the a** on one DVR, then now introduce one that actually should of been sold to me in the first place for another 300. One that gets your locals and RSN's in HD and can record in HD. I wanted that in the first place. Thats the reason I upgraded to the HD equipment.

DAMN!

I purchased an early HDTV for $7k and all it had was RGB and YPbPr input and it wouldn't even do 1080i - only 720p.

Then they came out with sets that would do 1080i with this digital DVI interface that I was told I would need in the future. Out another $7k.

Now I hear the dvi doesnt do HDCP and it won't allow me to get the full rez on HD-DVD and BluRay and I must buy another new HDTV with HDCP compliant HDMI.

"What gives (insert company here) the right to nail me in the a** on (insert equipment here), then now introduce one that actually should of been sold to me in the first place for another (insert price here). One that gets (list features here). I wanted that in the first place. Thats the reason I upgraded to the HD equipment.

Welcome to real world.

HDTVFanAtic said:
DAMN!

I purchased an early HDTV for $7k and all it had was RGB and YPbPr input and it wouldn't even do 1080i - only 720p.

Then they came out with sets that would do 1080i with this digital DVI interface that I was told I would need in the future. Out another $7k.

Now I hear the dvi doesnt do HDCP and it won't allow me to get the full rez on HD-DVD and BluRay and I must buy another new HDTV with HDCP compliant HDMI.

"What gives (insert company here) the right to nail me in the a** on (insert equipment here), then now introduce one that actually should of been sold to me in the first place for another (insert price here). One that gets (list features here). I wanted that in the first place. Thats the reason I upgraded to the HD equipment.

Welcome to real world.

Totally different thing dude............I've upgraded TV's 3 times in 3 years, didn't complain though cause it's a different scenario. when D* was advertising their 1500 HD channels (LOL) they said nothing about needing New Equipment or New Dishes. I agree, I paid for HR 10-250 and should not have to pay for another DVR. It's the principle of the thing, why can't you people understand this. 299.00 and you still don't own it??? come on now. You can't compare it to a friggin car lease either, gees. But let's compare it to something more reasonable, say a cell phone company. They will give you a high dollar phone for a 2 year agreement, at the end of those 2 years you either re-up or change carriers..........but the phone stays with you. I'm not talking a junk phone either, some as high as 300.00-400.00 but that don't ask for it back. Yes the maintenance is yours, I'm fine with that.

What are you talking about? Ther MPEG 4? They told me they would swap out my current HD one for that one when it came out, if they don't, they can KMA and their contract, i'll just call Dish and i'll laugh when they tell me I have to pay them for the two years I owe them on the agreement I made to extend service. Good luck, i'll just send that letter to the credit agencies saying I don't know what they are talking about and with my rating no cretidor will care. Hope that's not what you meant. I've had enough assclown service from bad service providers for this month, DTV has not been one of them though.

HDTVFanAtic said:
DAMN!

Welcome to real world.

The HD DVD and Blu-Ray manufacturers are actually very sensitive to the early adopters who paid loads for their HDTVs and are now potentially up a creek because they don't have HDCP compliant digital inputs. Therefore, you can indeed play HD quality video via the analog component inputs and it is up to the individual studios to allow this for their movies. So far, most say they will allow it. To me, this is more like the HR10-250 owners who paid a lot of money and probably spend a good deal of money on programming. D* won't want to lose them to cable, FIOS etc. and will most likely offer something good to upgrade to the HR20.

Flying J,

Wow, its nice to see you can respond with something other than a Yawn. I wish I had a lot of time on my hands like yourself where I could just go to any message board and make snide remarks anytime somebody posts.

Actually, I think you may know a great deal and have some good insight if you chose to write that way.

I do think you should head your own advice with the " think before you talk " comment. This shouldnt be a site where your trying to be the " all knowing." If you know a lot, you could help out a bunch of people instead of ridiculing with every post.

As far as your post goes, I knew what I was doing when I signed up for HD. Unfortunately, at the time of sign up, D* didnt know what they were doing. There wasnt an available receiver or an announcement of a receiver that could tivo locals/RSN's at the time. My only way to upgrade if I wanted these tivo'd was to use another source other than D* .

Status
Please reply by conversation.