Import Distant Networks?

So, will Dish even be required to carry all locals or could they drop all locals and go with a National broadcast of the 4 networks. This could put broadcast networks out of business, which I believe is the way it should be.

To me this about the Networks overplaying their hand. Their exclusive rights were never meant to allow them to be the only game in town AND charge for their programming. I have said that for years. The problem they face is they are not more powerful than all the Cable and Satellite companies. The commissioner calling for this change means there has been a constant flow of complaints about how the local networks are conducting negotiations, in fact he alludes to that. And I'm sure the decline in subscribers is making the FCC look at options to stem the increases in programming costs to Cable and Satellite, not just for the locals.

To answer the question, in the very long run it may well be that there will be four national channels for evening programming, or perhaps regional ones. Unless things get really ugly that isn't what this is trying to lead to. The FCC may be simply trying to add some parity to the negotiations.
To me just don't allow either the locals or cable to charge much beyond operating costs to get the signal to you. If the local wants to charge more, they could but then allow other locals of that network to compete to be shown too in that market, allowing more than one. There are some locals that stand out from others and could deserve more for their efforts in their market, but let the marketplace decide that. The other possibility is end all exclusivity.

Reactions: osu1991
Now that CBS is offering their programming online and I assume the other networks will follow, the local network exclusivity is just out of date and needs to be eliminated. I would enjoy watching/recording another areas network programming especially when my local area has bad weather notices icons on my screen. I always had distant networks when they were available. That way I could get out of area sports events.

So, will Dish even be required to carry all locals or could they drop all locals and go with a National broadcast of the 4 networks
It isn't about what is mandated but what they can do. Cable isn't set up to deliver all OTA markets but if DBS can offer a selection, they're in the catbird seat.

With the NAB and NCTA surely in opposition, this can't be a serious contender.

Now that CBS is offering their programming online and I assume the other networks will follow, the local network exclusivity is just out of date and needs to be eliminated
Are you willing to pay $6/month for each network while being denied most local programming?

1. Way it should be, but no chance of happening: because broadcast stations operate on frequencies OWNED by the US public and content regulated by the FCC, and broadcasters are granted licenses to operate on those frequencies--NOT ownership--that can be revoked if those stations do no meet FCC requirements regarding content for the granted right to operate on those frequencies, including their responsibilities to the local community they serve in return for not having to buy those licenses, consumers have a right to view (I argue ALL, but at least their own local stations) free of any charge, and, therefore, every MVPD should be allowed to retransmit ANY local channel for its subscribers within the subscribers DMA, with all cost to do so upon the MVPD. NO payment for retransmission, in any form, allowed. This allow the MVPD to function as a rooftop antenna for subscribers in the DMA, allowing the consumer to view their local channels as they would using other means, but also providing local stations to those people who have obstructions preventing the use of an OTA antenna. The market forces will affect those MVPD's who may choose NOT to retransmit local OTA to their peril compared with competitors who do. Local broadcasters get INCREASE in viewership by having MVPD retransmit and local broadcasters can increase their ad rates charged.

2. Free Market access to local broadcasts (the suggested model by the MVPD's) not likley to happen: All MVPD's required to retransmit/offer a la carte ALL local broadcast stations, limited to a subscribers DMA, but subscribers would pay a monthly fee established only by the local broadcaster, to access/view those locals channels unless a broadcaster chooses Must Carry status, hence, not charge. While the those fees are added to the MVPD monthly fee of a subscriber as an itemized item, the monthly fee NEVER goes to the MVPD, but goes directly to the local broadcaster. The consumer decides if they want and which locals channels. The local stations would have to prove their value to the consumer worth paying (Les Moonves said--as a threat-- he wanted to go to a "paid" model for broadcast stations), and the local stations set the price they want, otherwise Must Carry is still an option for local stations who may have little or no value to a subscriber.

Neither suggestion has much of a chance because of NAB opposition, but those and other suggestions would be the "right" and closest to "fair" that can be reached. This does not really affect the big 4 and their O&O's nor multiple CW owners like Tribune because they have content that is King, and because of the huge populations where big 4 have O&O's almost assures some deal happening even if dropped from an MVPD for a few weeks. This is really about the smaller locals and the corporate owners who have constellations of local channels across the country. Remember, the big 4 have rights of first refusal and have tremendous influence that can even result in a change of WHICH channel is an affiliate within the contract, and modifications for the new era could be put in place.

Wheeler is just trying to bypass the corrupt legislative process in behalf of the MVPD's, for whom is advocates while trying to look as if he is being "fair" or "pro-consumer." Let's be clear, Wheeler can site all the letters and complaints he want, but Wheeler's true motivation for this proposal is because he was a Cable TV lobbyist.

Reactions: yelraek
The real reason to have out of area networks is to have a source of network programming when your local decides to pre-emt the network to show the local high school/collage "name the sport" game.
Like last night when BOTH my local CBS and ABC channels played the Chiefs game. ABC from St. Joe, CBS from Kansas City.

I still maintain Dish (and other MVPDs) messed up when they first started SELLING locals (remember there used to be an extra charge to get your local channels). Once the locals saw the MVPDs collecting money for their content, "hey, we deserve a piece of that". If Dish (and Direct) would have started with the locals as "we're giving them away", I think retrans wouldn't be the monster it is now.

However, IMO, the only people who should get "free" locals are those who can not get OTA broadcasts. They are FAR in the minority (yes, I know there are people here who can't pick up OTA, but the majority can get OTA).

Reactions: BBCInc and ChadT41
But that minority is still a very large number. As an example, Santa Rosa, CA, with a population of about 175,000, is at the far fringe of receiving any OTA from San Francisco which is the only way of getting the big four networks. That's just one city in one state that provides an example. When you include the entire country, you are are talking multimillions.

According to Nielsen, the San Francisco market encompasses 2,476,860. So Santa Rosa is 7% of that.

I agree there are people who can't pick up OTA. I think they should get locals for free. But there ARE people who say "We need our locals for free", but aren't willing to put up an antenna. The locals ARE free to them. I'm one of them. I do all my locals OTA. But I still have to pay Dish JUST to get the program guide. Heaven forbid Dish could use PSIP (also free) to populate the guide.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I still maintain Dish (and other MVPDs) messed up when they first started SELLING locals (remember there used to be an extra charge to get your local channels). Once the locals saw the MVPDs collecting money for their content, "hey, we deserve a piece of that". If Dish (and Direct) would have started with the locals as "we're giving them away", I think retrans wouldn't be the monster it is now.

However, IMO, the only people who should get "free" locals are those who can not get OTA broadcasts. They are FAR in the minority (yes, I know there are people here who can't pick up OTA, but the majority can get OTA).

Not even remotely do I believe it wouldn't be the extortion/monster it is now. When DISH and others charged for the locals it isn't the case they were profiting from it. Hardly. It is far more like trying to cover the cost of getting them to you. $5 or so for often five, six or more channels. Nothing changes the problem that they either have to give up exclusivity, or give up charging for what is supposed to be free. That the FCC would actually come out and say basically that is a clue how out of hand it has become.

give up charging for what is supposed to be free.
It IS free to by far the majority of viewers. Just because (general) you don't want to put up an antenna doesn't mean it's not an option.

And I call BS about Dish not profiting with the locals. Of course, neither one of us will be able to prove our theories.

I think they are profiting by offering them to customers making it seem less, but I don't see a lot of profit coming off of the locals specifically.

I think the best option was floated a while back and would take retrans negotiations out of it completely. MVPDs provide must carry locals for free, and act as a billing service for pay-locals, passing through whatever the locals want to charge - BUT - every user can subscribe to whichever individual pay-locals they wish to keep and the bill is itemized showing exactly what is charged per station.

Reactions: jegrant

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)