Improving daytime reception?

CubsWin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 17, 2005
Bourbonnais, IL
I am located 50 miles from the Chicago OTA towers and I am able to get all the UHF stations without issue using my Digitenna DUV-XF (with preamp) in the attic of my two-story house. The only problematic station is CBS, which is VHF, and it appears that I am right on the fringe of getting it. It comes in crystal clear every night, but daytime signals are intermittent and heavily pixelated at best. Putting the antenna on my roof would almost certainly solve the problem, but that is something I want to avoid if at all possible. Is there anything else that could possibly be done to give me a small boost, just enough to get me over the hump for daytime CBS reception?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=8e03fcf15558a7

Seeing it is VHF CH12 where your others are UHF, try adding a VHF antenna or replace your existing antenna with a VHF/UHF antenna.

I am not real experienced with the names or parts of the antenna but maybe fold in the yagi part or fold in the long pieces on the opposite side if you can. I have a station about as far as you are from WBBM-CBS (KPLC-NBC 7) and when I folded those long pieces in (opposite the yagi) I am getting the station good.

I am not real experienced with the names or parts of the antenna but maybe fold in the yagi part or fold in the long pieces on the opposite side if you can. I have a station about as far as you are from WBBM-CBS (KPLC-NBC 7) and when I folded those long pieces in (opposite the yagi) I am getting the station good.
The issue with that antenna the OP posted is its just a UHF antenna with very minimal VHF. Looking at pics there is one long element for VHF. This is probably no better than a pair of rabbit ears. Or those "Cleartream" antennas that are (IMO) grossly overpriced when the VHF is just a rabbit ears

The issue with that antenna the OP posted is its just a UHF antenna with very minimal VHF. Looking at pics there is one long element for VHF. This is probably no better than a pair of rabbit ears. Or those "Cleartream" antennas that are (IMO) grossly overpriced when the VHF is just a rabbit ears

The Clearstreams with the "pole" is just a pair of rabbit ears. I've had a lot better luck with the MOHU Leaf for indoor reception on VHF. As for UHF, Ice as you know here the UHF is hard to get. I get the 2 strongest UHF signals, however.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Yeah you're kinmda in one of those crappy spots. Smartest thing was the Big 3 staying on VHF after the conversion and now FOX moving to VHF too (as a subchanel)
Now if they would move METV to a VHF subchannel OTA. That would be great!! No such luck, though. I have to get METV through cable and Mynetwork tv as well and This, as of now.

Now if they would move METV to a VHF subchannel OTA. That would be great!! No such luck, though. I have to get METV through cable and Mynetwork tv as well and This, as of now.
could be worse. Where I am I have no NBC (too far away) and ABC is in analog

My antenna says it is VHF Hi-band, so what am I missing?
I googled the model you listed and looked. While it **claims** VHF Hi the circled part is the VHF. The rest of the elements are designed for UHF. For 50 mile reception you will need something that has more elements for VHF. The link I posted above will work for that. Even a combo unit (VHF/UHF) will work better.

So while it may get VHF, for it to be stable on that unit you would need to be probably 25 miles closer to the towers.

PricingPP6 (1).png

I googled the model you listed and looked. While it **claims** VHF Hi the circled part is the VHF. The rest of the elements are designed for UHF. For 50 mile reception you will need something that has more elements for VHF. The link I posted above will work for that. Even a combo unit (VHF/UHF) will work better.

So while it may get VHF, for it to be stable on that unit you would need to be probably 25 miles closer to the towers.

View attachment 109880
If I went the combiner route with a dedicated VHF antenna, would it cause problems due to both antennas getting some level of VHF signals?

If I went the combiner route with a dedicated VHF antenna, would it cause problems due to both antennas getting some level of VHF signals?
there are combiners out there that do JUST VHF and JUST UHF. Thats what I use as I have 2 separate antennas (VHF is NW of me whereas UHF is West of me)
Solid signal carries them. UVSJ is the item. If you click on the pic and blow it up you'll see the 2 cables (one from each antenna) go into a box which is right below the preamp

If you select a VHF station (like WBBM) it will go tot he VHF antenna. Everything on UHF will go to the other antena

IMG_20150907_173457_445.jpg

That's horrible, Ice. Is this because of the digital transition?
no. There use to be an analog translator of KLKS which rebroadcast NBC from Minneapolis. Our market is huge so in a lot of the areas translators have to be used. It stayed until 2011 when it was a "corporate decision" to discontinue it. Also the tower they were on (radio station owned it) was sold.

I guess we all want something we can't have occasionally
yup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts